Reptiglo 10 flourescent tube bulb: NEW TEST results - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-16-2007, 03:02 PM   #1
Drache613
Reptiglo 10 flourescent tube bulb: NEW TEST results

Hello ALL,

As promised, here are the newest test results for the Exo terra reptiglo 10 flourescent tube bulb as I recently learned.

Here are the results given to me by Frances Baines, my endless support of quest of knowledge in lighting.
The results were not as promising as expected. The bulb is actually quite strong, & does have a higher UVB output than the reptiglo 8 but the spectrum is different. It has less UVA to the reptile as well as more low wavelength of UVB.
It is not as low wavelength as what is being put out by the Zilla light or the other compacts & coils, but deserves respect with its use. So, if it used, please use it with caution. As with other flourescent tube bulbs, it needs to be used in conjunction with a bright basking light. I am concerned with the UV index with this bulb.
Here is the article in full for you to read if you would like to. If you have any questions, let me know.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/UVB_ ... ssage/5469

Tracie

Old 11-17-2007, 12:59 PM   #2
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Sorry the link did not work. I copied & pasted from my original thread which must have messed it up.
If you are interested in reading the report, the link below works. Thanks.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/U...s/message/5469

Tracie

Old 11-17-2007, 02:13 PM   #3
LakesideBoas
Thank you...

For posting all of this information for us. I know it can't be easy to cram this in amongst the other things you do.

I think you saved my Frilled Dragon's life. He was exhibiting the symptoms you describe and neither I nor my vet could figure it out. Changed bulbs and added a brighter basking light and he's been eating again and starting to act like his old self.

Thanks again from me and "Mr. Wizard" thanks you too!

Old 11-18-2007, 09:44 PM   #4
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

That is absolutely awesome the report helped you! So, you actually were using the Reptiglo 10 flourescent UVB tube? How close was it from your frillie? What type of basking bulb were you using in conjunction with it, initially?
What do you have now for your UVB & basking light?

I am so happy that helped you & Mr. Wizard!~!

Tracie

Old 11-18-2007, 10:14 PM   #5
LakesideBoas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drache613
Hello,

That is absolutely awesome the report helped you! So, you actually were using the Reptiglo 10 flourescent UVB tube? How close was it from your frillie? What type of basking bulb were you using in conjunction with it, initially?
What do you have now for your UVB & basking light?

I am so happy that helped you & Mr. Wizard!~!

Tracie
He was able to get about three inches away from it and yes, it was the Reptiglo 10. I was unable to get the tube I usually use as the shop did not order them (Reptisun). It sounded like it would be close to the same thing and I was really stumped when he quit eating, his eyes swelled up and looked like he had two golf balls on his head.

Took him to my vet three times, put him in quarantine each time and he got better. (Quarantine for him was a large sweaterbox in a rack kept in a back room in my house. The only light he got was from the window.) Put him back in his viv and he was sick again within days.

I was about to re-do his whole viv-again-to figure it out. He has a 48" long bright non-uv fluorescent tube across the large branch he has as a "basking" type light, although his actual basking spot is controlled by a CHE on a thermostat. Behind that is a 28 or 30in (can never remember without looking) new Reptisun UVB fluorescent fixture.

I'll get pictures of him frilling at me again now that he's better. He hasn't done that in about four months. He thinks he's "bad"!

Old 11-19-2007, 09:48 AM   #6
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

I want to thank YOU for posting to me. We are really trying to get as much data as we can on lights that are harmful. It is extremely helpful to me & to Dr. Frances Baines who is the researcher & tester for UVB lighting. An awesome & very caring person.
Wow, he was not doing well with that tube. I am so glad that you caught this post & were able to help him out so quickly. GREAT job on that!
His eyes were that swollen? Geez, that is horrible, poor guy. It was not your fault though! Ok, so the bright non uv flourescent is a full spectrum of UVA so that should be bright enough. Ok, no problem there to use that in conjunction with the reptisun 10 tube bulb.
I do have a favor though. Do I have your permission to link this thread so that Dr. Baines can see your symptoms & gather more data? I would like to do that if that is ok with you. She does not have to use your name, just the data, but only if it is ok with you.
She needs to contact the company with concerns, etc regarding the lights.
Thank you!!

Tracie

Old 11-19-2007, 03:12 PM   #7
LakesideBoas
I think...

Mr. Wizard and I owe you and Dr. Baines a huge one and YES, by all means, she can use any information that will help with her research. If she needs to use my name so be it.

The symptoms started less than a week after I bought the tube. He started by laying wherever he happened to be with his eyes closed. After three days of me watching and worrying he couldn't or wouldn't stay on his basking perch (Frillies rarely sit on the ground unless their food is there and they're eating). The next day his eyes were swollen. Frillies have "large" looking eyes anyway as they are situated right on top of their head so he looked, literally, like he had marbles instead of eyes.

Took him to the vet (one of the very best around and reptiles are his 'specialty'). He came back parasite free and ex-rays showed no blockages or physical anomalies (intestinal blockage, torsion) or broken bones. Bloodwork also came back within normal parameters.

I began a regimen of no exercise, daily soaks and pedialyte (orally via syringe) to rehydrate him. He hadn't been eating or drinking for at least three days.

After about 4-5 days he began drinking, eating, trying to escape the quarantine bin , bite me, so I'd put him back in his viv only to have him in the same condition within the week.

We had been going around and around like that for about 2 1/2 months (three vet visits all together).

I believe that if I didn't click on the link to the article you posted he would have eventually died. He had gotten so skinny. I almost had him euthanised at one point as he looked so miserable and nothing I did helped him.

It's only been about a week and a half since I replaced the bulb and he's done a complete turn-around. He's gaining his weight back and is feisty as he's ever been.

Thank you both.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:33 PM   #8
Drache613
Hello

Hello!

Thank you for allowing me to use your data. Dr. Baines is working on generating a report so she is gathering cases as much as she can to report. I appreciate your cooperation, that is awesome!
All I can say is wow, what a story. How sad that it affected Mr. Wizard's eyes & body like that so quickly! I am sorry, but I am so glad you checked this board.
So he has gained his weight back too, that is so great! At least he had a very quick recovery thankfully. I am so happy that he is doing so much better now.
How much is he eating?

Tracie

Old 11-19-2007, 11:27 PM   #9
LakesideBoas
He's still not 100% yet, but compared to how quickly he declined he looks much better. His hip bones are still prominent, although most frillies I see have some prominence there unless they're overweight.

He's like every other frilly in that as soon as he reached adulthood he quit eating his veggies, although I still put them in with him. He hasn't had crickets in a good long while as I was afraid they'd start chewing on him. I let him eat as many mealies, superworms, hornworms or butterworms as he'll take in one feeding. He won't touch "phoenix" worms (brrrr, I'm glad, they look too much like something found on the bottom of a trash can!)

I was re-reading my posts and did some mental gymnastics and I would guess the entire time he displayed severe symptoms was 2 1/2 months. He did get a good case of the "blahs" every once in a while before that but would bounce back relatively quickly. I am starting to be convinced that it was his ability to get so close to the UV fixture (he can't anymore) that started his whole downward spiral and allowed the new bulb to hit him detrimentally so quickly after purchase.

I hope Dr. Baines does not mind but I gave my vet the links to her articles. Perhaps he can get the word spread around here.

I wonder just how many animals may have met their demise this way. I would have never in a million years come to that conclusion on my own.

I don't think you can know just how relieved I am that you thought so much of others in the hobby to link that study here. Dr. Baines needs to be commended for finding a problem and following it through for us also. Without her interest and dedication we would be reading about a lot more of this type of problem and be no closer to a solution.

Thank you doesn't seem to be enough, although I want you both to know that we sincerely do.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:02 AM   #10
LakesideBoas
Here's a pic I took of him depicting the swollen eyes. You can clearly see the swelling and he just looks miserable.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!