Paradise FLYING Tree Snake. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-06-2009, 08:47 PM   #1
HiddenHollowHerp
Question Paradise FLYING Tree Snake.

I'm not sure if anyone is going to believe what I'm about to say, but I just saw the most terrifying thing I have ever seen in my life.

A friend got back from a vacation. In fact, he went to Africa. He left in November and got back yesterday. He showed me a video of himself and his tour guide with some people who had a pet flying snake. He asked them, "Do these live around here?" and they all shook their heads. I wish he would've asked where they live, because I want to learn more.

Okay so about the snake, lol.
It had a flat body, flatter than most, and it was like.. Super good at climbing. It probably could've climbed a glass treetrunk if it wanted to. It was climbing up the guy's leg almost without coiling (and they had its mouth banded shut.. So I dunno if it's venemous, or what..) and when it "flies", it gets even flatter and just sort of falls really slowly, like a flying frog does.

Why have I not heard of this before?!

Or, more importantly, WHY DIDN'T HE FILM IT LONGER?

Old 01-07-2009, 01:34 AM   #2
Helenthereef
And where can we see the video?

Old 01-07-2009, 01:45 PM   #3
Kiote_9
http://www.livescience.com/animals/0...ng_snakes.html

Some info. It says they are mainly from Asia.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:19 PM   #4
HiddenHollowHerp
I told Grant he could use my youtube account to upload it, but he said he didn't feel like messing with it. He showed it to me on his camera along with the other things they did. They rode an elephant, filmed hyenas at night, saw a bird that screams like that woman on "rollercoaster of love", but honestly, all I was thinking about was the snake.

What if there was a venemous flying snake that like.. Leapt out of trees at potential prey? LOL, I'm glad I don't live where those things do! Although I must admit, I am intrigued.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:15 PM   #5
Mokele
I actually worked with a pair of them for several years, and they're truly amazing snakes. For more info:

http://www.flyingsnake.org/

That site is run by Dr. Socha, who basically knows more about that genus than anyone else alive, and did the studies showing that they do indeed glide. He hasn't done much on them lately, but now he's got a faculty position at Virginia Tech and is hoping to get more of them (I actually just had a conversation about getting them with him and my MS advisor a few days ago at a conference).

As for the flying snakes, they're genus Chrysopelea, with 5 species, very mildly venomous (only toxic to small lizards, etc.), and incredibly high-energy. They seem to use flight as an escape mechanism, and possibly as a way to cross gaps in the forest canopy. Their vision is excellent, and they're very alert and energetic.

Unfortunately, they're very rare in captivity, and don't survive well. They're usually loaded with parasites (no captive breeding is known), stressed from being shipped halfway around the world, are generally fragile animals in captivity anyway, and eat almost entirely lizards. They can be fairly hardy if switched over to mice, but that takes a LOT of doing, and be prepared for in excess of 95% mortality within a year for these animals.

However, they are hands-down one of the most remarkable snakes I've ever worked with. Active, curious, highly visually oriented, and stunningly beautiful. I'm going to try to find some soon, but I'm not sure what my success will be like, even having kept them before.

Mokele

Old 01-07-2009, 06:58 PM   #6
HiddenHollowHerp
That is extremely interesting, Mokele. However, I'm now a bit concerned for the snake Grant saw. I hope they know what they're doing.

If you get some, you have to post about it! I think everyone would like to see some flying snakes from one of our own.

If they're as picky (of) eaters as they sound to be, I sure hope they take anoles!

Old 04-07-2009, 04:07 AM   #7
lamprophis
Old thread, I know, sorry. When I was in 3rd grade, 20+ years ago, our librarian told us a story about these... Then proceeded to tell us that it was just a myth. Of course a few years later I learned that they did exist.

I'm curious about them still so anybody with images or personal experience, especially positive experiences, would have at least one reader in this thread if there is anything they could add.

It would be interesting to see a large living space dedicated to them, especially with live plants and enough realism to make them comfortable in captivity.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:51 AM   #8
Mokele
The link in my prior post goes to plenty of videos and photos of these snakes. I've kept some of these snakes before, and they're one of my favorite species. Highly active and inquisitive, very fun to watch.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:54 AM   #9
Masonexotics
A very interesting species to keep.

While their venom isn't medically significasnt to humans but it is not a pleaseant snake to be bitten by!!

These are getting more and more popular over in the UK, particularly ornatus/ornate flying tree snake.

Bites (well envenomation) stings like a bitch!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
flying snake paradise