Reptiles Stolen out of N.M. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:19 PM   #1
crotalusadamanteus
Reptiles Stolen out of N.M.

If I didn't get this in the right place, feel free to move it.

Las Cruces Sun:

LAS CRUCES - More than a dozen snakes, including rare varieties of boa constrictors, were reported stolen Friday from a Las Cruces reptile store.

Shannon Stecher, 37, owner of Awesome Reptiles, 1414 S. Solano Drive, discovered the store had been broken into on Saturday morning and 14 boa constrictors, a python and a kingsnake, valued at nearly $5,000, were missing from their terrariums.

Las Cruces police are investigating the theft.

Stecher, who has owned Awesome Reptiles with his wife, Michelle Stecher, for about a year, said burglaries of pet stores are rare.

"Whoever did this is most likely into the reptile scene," he said. "The (suspect or suspects) knew what they were doing."

Having distributed flyers throughout Las Cruces, Stecher said he is offering a reward for the return of the snakes.

Most prized by Stecher, two rare Cay Caulker Island boa constrictors.

"These snakes hold the most sentimental value," Stecher said of the 3-foot long black-and-gray snakes. "One was even named after my wife."

One of only three breeders of the rare boas in the U.S., Stecher said the sale of one of these reptiles would catch the attention of regional retailers. "There's not a big market for Cay Caulker Island boas," he said. "It's almost like stealing the Mona Lisa. If (the suspects) plan to sell my boas, they will get caught."

Stecher has contacted retailers in the state and parts of Texas and Arizona to notify them of the stolen reptiles.

The rare snakes retail for about $800, although Stecher said the two Cay Caulker Island boas that were taken were not for sale at his store.

"It took my nine years to breed the parents of these two," he said. "I've waited six years to breed their offspring."

Other varieties reported stolen from Awesome Reptiles include an albino red tail boa, which sports a light, reddish-orange pattern on its tail, and retails for about $1,000; two red-and-gray-speckled rosy boas; a gray-and-brown Central American redtail boa; three hi-red Columbian retail boas with crisp red patterns on their tails; and four light beige jungle redtail boas, Stecher said.

An albino kingsnake and lemon pastel ball python were also taken from the store, he said.

The snakes range in size from 2- to 3-feet long and may have been placed in clear terrariums with brightly colored lids, which Stecher also sells at Awesome Reptiles.

Several of these plastic "Critter Keepers" and six-months worth of food for the snakes were also taken, he said.

Heat lamps which were knocked over in the incident left burn marks on the store's linoleum floor and a wooden case.

"This whole place could have caught fire and gone up in flames," he said.

"Something like this hurts a small business," said Stecher. "But I'm staying optimistic."

For more information, contact Awesome Reptiles at (575) 522-9757, or the Las Cruces Police Department at (575) 528-4222.

Lauren E. Toney can be reached at ltoney@lcsun-news.com; (575) 541-5447.

http://www.lcsun-news.com/ci_14356176?source=email

Since the Chihuahuan Desert Wildlife Rescue sent me the link with a heads up and a request to keep my ears/eyes peeled, thought I'd pass it along. If any of the animals listed above show up in a classified ad coming out of Las Cruces, or El Paso, it's a good chance they are stolen. There just ain't that many high end keepers out here. Feel free to call any of the numbers above, or myself at 915-276-3384 if you have info about these animals.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:00 AM   #2
Twizted Paths
That ROTS

If they send you pics, toss 'em my way. I cruise boa classifieds the way most people do triple x sites. Definitely give a shout if I see something shady but it'll be hard without pictures of the regular morphs.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!