Need Advice: Mother's Day gift for recently handicapped mother? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:12 PM   #1
snowgyre
Need Advice: Mother's Day gift for recently handicapped mother?

My mother recently fought for her life over necrotic tissue in her lower left arm. The doctors had to remove almost all the muscle and tendons that allow the use of her hand. She is right-hand dominant, but her favorite hobbies before the accident were crocheting, knitting, and weaving. Needless to say, her newest handicap has been a severe blow to her self-esteem and she has become extremely depressed. She also has primary progressive M.S. and has been battling chronic pain for over a decade. Considering I almost lost her two months ago, I would like to get her something special and useful.

I was hoping to purchase her something that could help her do her old hobbies, but I'm not into crafts and so I really have no idea what's available out there. Do you have any recommendations? Anything from tools to help her perform her old hobbies to new, related hobbies that she may enjoy? Are there any Facebook groups or forums I could ask for advice?

Thanks ahead for all your help!

Old 05-04-2015, 07:26 PM   #2
Lucille
I remember a very special person way back when I went to college, he was born with no hand on one of his arms. He drove the fire truck for the campus volunteer firefighters.
Could you go onto a craft forum to see if there are large knitting needles that your Mom could hold in the crook of her left arm and do the actual knitting with the other hand?
You are a wonderful daughter to look for exactly what she might need to do what she used to do with so much happiness.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:10 AM   #3
Croghans Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
I remember a very special person way back when I went to college, he was born with no hand on one of his arms. He drove the fire truck for the campus volunteer firefighters.
Could you go onto a craft forum to see if there are large knitting needles that your Mom could hold in the crook of her left arm and do the actual knitting with the other hand?
You are a wonderful daughter to look for exactly what she might need to do what she used to do with so much happiness.
I realize this thread is old, but since mothers day happens almost every a year, why not pile more ideas. To add to this quote above, is there some sort of contraption you could construct for her that would hold the crochet needle for her? maybe something like a belt with a holster for one needle, straps to her bicep, and just holds a single position so her other hand can work around it.

Another thing would be the hobby of plants. I love growing plants in my terrariums (off topic, I know) but they do add a small little purpose in my life. I HAVE to take care of them or else they die. Much like my animals, they need me. Maybe having something to care for and watch grow would help take her mind off things. Besides, some plants are pretty.

Again, I apologize for bumping an otherwise "dead" thread, but there's still possibly a birthday, as well as any winter holiday you may celebrate, and again, mothers day.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!