Eastern indigo questions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-21-2014, 09:54 PM   #1
toooil
Eastern indigo questions

I have a couple questions that I would welcome input on:

Would it in any way negatively affect an indigo to have their diet supplemented with pieces of chicken?

I have noticed, when feeding, that my indigos have more noticeable amounts of saliva than my other snake species. Has anyone else had this observation?

Old 01-22-2014, 04:25 PM   #2
Random_WhiteGuy07
Hey man I'm new to this forum, but my female Y/T sometimes I will pull her out if her cage and she will start spitting. I leaks from her mouth if you get what I'm saying.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:25 PM   #3
toooil
I haven't noticed leaking or drool, but mine definitely have a lot of saliva. F/t rodents get soaked by the snake's saliva when my indigos are feeding.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:22 PM   #4
tim brophy
Indigo snakes definitely have more saliva than most other snakes I have ever seen. No idea why. Almost like a drooling hungry dog. Chicken parts are fine for indigos. The more diverse the diet, the better.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:52 PM   #5
Mr. D
Probably to aid in consuming prey since their jaws do not unhinge.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:05 PM   #6
bmwdirtracer
I want to pass along advice which Robert Bruce gave me, when I questioned him about supplementing my couperis' diets with chicken necks.

He told me that commercial chicken parts, and F/T birds beyond day-old quail and chicks, can give my snakes CRYPTOSPORIDIOSIS, which can kill them.

I researched this disease, and decided to take Robert's word for it, rather than endanger my precious Indigos.

Yes, I have seen the guy feeding chicken necks by hand, and I note that Black Pearl mentions feeding chicken necks, but when I read about the disease, caused by feeding bird parts to various zoo and other captive animals, I decided to pass.

I have also noticed the saliva, only when eating, usually when my snakes grab the animal sideways, and end up using their powerful jaws to squeeze the guts out of the critter. Fortunately, they seem to eventually learn to rotate the prey to a lengthwise position, like other snakes that rely on constriction.

I have no doubt whatsoever that they are the most intelligent snakes - but I think the fact that they have the most powerful bite sometimes allows them to ignore the fact that they can't unhinge a quadrate like other snakes.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
chicken, drymarchon, eastern indigo snake, feeding