over-feeding for drys? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-02-2014, 02:15 PM   #1
pops
over-feeding for drys?

Drys obviously eat more [frequently] than most other snakes. I know how much to feed and frequency of feeding for adult drys, but the growing juvenile ones are another story and I don't want to over-feed my juvies. For example, right now I am feeding a 300 gram 10-month old dry every 4 to 5 days. The amount I am feeding it is about 10% of its body weight per feeding, so in this case, I feed two food items: one 20 gram medium adult mouse plus one 10 gram rat pinkie (or any other combination of two food items that equals to about 30 grams). Is this ok?

Old 07-03-2014, 06:12 PM   #2
pops
The point of my question is to see if anyone uses any kind of general formula. The obvious answer is as long as they are not lethargic and laying around getting fat, then the snake is not over-fed!

Old 08-24-2014, 11:31 AM   #3
bmwdirtracer
I'm raising 4 couperi; 2 from 2012, 2 from 2013.

Robert Bruce advised against overfeeding...but I'd certainly like them to grow big, and grow fast, and I always try to spoil my animals.

Nonetheless, I've not been able to feed them whatever is necessary to achieve the growth rates shown in the study for which I've attached a link.

I feed combinations of mice, quail, and chicks; the older pair seem to love birds, but accept rodents, which have more calcium.

I'd have to say that if the snakes are not obese, and you can find times when they're not too full to handle them, then you're doing just fine. After all, babies are just going to grow faster when fed more....

Both of my 2013's are currently on hopper mice, and not quite ready for adult mice. Both are 11 months old, and I expect to go to adult mice in about three months.

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Indigo study.pdf (416.9 KB, 82 views)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!