Lets get technical - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-24-2005, 02:41 PM   #1
M.Dwight
Lets get technical

Cayo de Los Cochinos translates literally to “Cay or Island of the Hogs." So, to be proper shouldn't we call these Hogs island boas? I think so and will add the s from now on. Are you with me?
There is no such place or word as Hogg. lol

Old 07-24-2005, 02:48 PM   #2
Chris Steele
I've never really knew how it was supposed to be spelled. I've seen it spelled: Hogg, hoggs, hogs, hog. Now that you've cleared it up for me though, I am with you. Obviously it should be "hogs."

What is it officially called as of now though? Is it hogg as of now?

Old 07-24-2005, 03:04 PM   #3
M.Dwight
It amazes me that long time boa keepers that should know better still call these Hogg island boas. There is NO island or word known as Hogg. I think it's time we all get together and call these boas by their proper name....Hogs island boas. I hope others will follow me and be correct.

Old 07-25-2005, 12:48 AM   #4
M.Dwight
Well Chris that makes two of us that care to be correct. lol.
At least that's a start

Old 07-25-2005, 08:39 AM   #5
Jim O
Actually Mark, if you *really* care to be technical, that may also be the Spanish possessive format. There is no apostrophe in Spanish to show possession as there is in English. True of most if not all Romance languages I think. So it may also *correctly* be translated as Hog's Island, with an apostophe, or the plural perhaps Hogs'. LOL

But this is a can of worms that you may not want to open. Timor Pythons are not found on Timor but on neighboring islands, The Ceylonese Python comes from what is now called Sri Lanka, and Irian Jaya (as in the Irian Jaya Carpet Python) is now called West Papua, and that form may also be seen in neighboring Papua New Guinea. But best not call it a Papuan Python, as that name is already taken by another animal.

My point is that common names are just that, commonly used names. If you *really* want to now what an animal is you need to use the scientific name and locality information.

Having said that I generally call mine just plain Hogs, but that can be confusing to people who keep Hognose Snakes as they might do the same.

Old 07-25-2005, 02:31 PM   #6
M.Dwight
In the end it dosn't really matter if it is Hogs or Hog's because I'm sure people will just continue to call them Hogg island boas. Oh well.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!