My Rtb threw up? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-04-2010, 02:02 PM   #1
Jviera1987
My Rtb threw up?

Hey guys so i just woke up and started checking all my enclosures as i normally do and noticed that my male Rtb threw up a partially digested mouse. I know that they throw up if handled too soon after eating, but that was a about a week ago and i haven't handled him since.... Would anybody know of any other possible reasons?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG1339.jpg (212.4 KB, 60 views)

Old 05-04-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
Metachrosis

Guessing from the pics the prey item was to **large**,to soon since last feed and or there was a temp spike and it got to hot.

I wouldn't try and feed that animal any sooner then 3 weeks (21 days)
At that time I would offer a prey item "half" the size of the one in the pic.

Read up on Boa regurgitation and you will find several other things happen
"after" the prey leaves the snake.
Its been a topic for years on every forum running,the data is there.

Please be patient,grow your boa slowly.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
bigdogg
Could be a few reasons.

Meal was too big for it. If it hadn't ate in a while and then ate a bigger mouse the stomach wouldn't be as big as it was and therefore would regurge the prey.

Got to cold in the cage. If it isn't warm enough it couldn't digest right.

If it has any parasites sometimes that is a reason they don't hold a meal down.

Best thing to do in this situation is make sure it has plenty of water and make sure it is drinking normally. Then make sure your heat is ok and wait 2 weeks and offer a smaller prey item.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:55 PM   #4
Metachrosis
FWIW/IMO that rat hasn't been in that snake for a week,2 days at best.
IF in fact the prey has been in there for a week and still looks like that
"You" have an entirely different "problem" on "your" hands.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:49 PM   #5
Jviera1987
Your right Metachrosis I could have been mistaken about him eating a a week ago ( They all eat on diff schedules). I really hope there is no parasites, is there a way to know? Thanks guys this really helps alot

Old 05-04-2010, 03:56 PM   #6
AbsoluteApril
looks like too big of a prey item to me, probably should be on rat fuzzies (I'm guessing based on the pic). Tommy gave great advise, wait at least 3 weeks then offer another prey item, 1/2 the size of what you would normally feed. So, a small rat pink or similar sized small mouse hopper. I would feed smaller than normal meals for the next 2-3 feedings to ensure the snake's gut was able to recover. Make sure the snake has plenty of fresh water during all this time. You don't mention how often you are feeding, I feed babies every 10-14 days.
Good luck

Old 05-04-2010, 06:01 PM   #7
Willow
You should start keeping track records of when all your snakes eat

just keep an index card near the snakes enclosure, jot down the date and what your feeding it

its a good to have accurate records on when they eat for a situation like this, as I really hope that rat hasnt been sitting in your snake for a week

that rat looks newly devoured....maybe 2 or 3 days at the most....any longer and something is keeping your snake from digesting, which could have caused him to throw up (much better then letting it stay inside him and rot!!)

check your temps...if its not warm enough then he wont be able to digest his meals and that could actually end up killing him very very easily!! so temps are defiantly something you will want to keep an eye on when he has a rat in his belly

Old 05-04-2010, 08:49 PM   #8
gsrept
i feed every sunday and if one does not eat or is in shed they do not get fed until following sunday. this way they eat same time same day of week and i know if they ate or not

Old 05-04-2010, 09:40 PM   #9
Metachrosis
Please Stop Over Feeding your snakes people,they dont need 2/3rds of what your feeding to "THRIVE" in perfect health for many more years then the track they are on now.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:20 PM   #10
Jviera1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metachrosis View Post
Please Stop Over Feeding your snakes people,they dont need 2/3rds of what your feeding to "THRIVE" in perfect health for many more years then the track they are on now.
Agreed, however that's why people get on forums or open threads such as these so that they can learn and gain the experience needed so that they're herp's can thrive the right way. No one person gets into the hobby a complete expert and even then there is always more to learn.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!