Loss of appetite.. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-19-2007, 09:57 AM   #1
Hleb
Loss of appetite..

Hey guys.

My lizard seems to have lost his appetite lately, and I'm not sure why. Nothing has changed in regards to his enclosure, except a very very minor layout adjustment.

I don't think he's had, what I would consider for a lizard, a good meal in about 5-6 days.

I usually feed him crickets in a small plastic cup and he'll go crazy for them, gobbling them all down quickly and wanting more. Just recently though I'll fill the cup with 3-4 crickets and put it infront of him and he won't dive in head first like he normally does, he'll just sit there ignoring them. He only seems to notice them if they are right on the edge of the cup hanging off it. At this point he might eat, 1, maybe 2 but then he just loses interest.

Really strange thing though, is that this'll happen so I'll put the crickets away and then see him chase across his enclosure to catch a loose cricket.. :roll:

Could it just be he's gone off crickets? He ate 1 or 2 crickets last night but then lost interest so I put some mealworms in a pot and he went mad for them! However I've tried feeding him just now and he's not interested in crickets or mealworms. (I know mealworms aren't good for a staple diet, and I've only got them as a treat now and again. However, I've been forced to try and use them alot these past few days because he just don't seem thrilled by crickets).

Strange thing is though, regarding vegetables he is acting normal and eating his daily bowl just fine...

As I've said, I'm abit confused as nothing has changed really. The only thing I can see is that his tail is a little dull.... is he about to shed? Here is a pic..

Could this be down to his lack of appetite lately?

Finally, I can't remember the last time he had a poo in his enclosure. Obviously I realise that if he isn't eating he isn't going to poo much but it has been quite a while. The only time he seems to poo is when I bathe him.

Apart from him not feeding he looks perfectly healthy and happy to me, so I'm just really confused.

Thanks.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:29 PM   #2
melindaste
Mine will only poo in the water. I give them baths every other day and they always go. Kinda like potty training. LOL As they become older they tend to go more for the greens and not so much the bugs . My male at about 7 moths old switch more to greens and a few crickets a day, and some days will not even look at a cricket. They can crawl on him and he willnot eat them. When He was younger I would put him in the adult tanks,(with them not in it) and I called him the clean up he would eat anything that moved. But they do change as long as he eats the greens I am sure he is fine..

Old 03-19-2007, 12:31 PM   #3
melindaste
Yes It does look like he is going into a shedkeep in mind as adults they do not usually do a whole body shed, they will shed maybe two legs and the a part of the head , It is different when they get bigger.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!