Found a RES - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:38 PM   #1
AbbyGirl
Found a RES

Hello everyone! My parents found a turtle crossing the highway, they picked it up with the intention of releasing it in a safer location. They put it in a wheel barrel with water and a rock and gave it some lettuce to eat. I went over to their house today to have a better look at it. I believe its a female RES that has been in captivity, there is some damage to the top back part of her shell, I dont know what its called but its common with captive turtle kept in inadaquate conditions, the back of the shell in yellow and thin and curling under. It looks like some of the damage has started to repair its self. Anyway, I have decided to keep her now that I know she was raised in captivity. Her shell is about 8in long and she seems to be pretty used to people. I was already in the process of building a 1000 gallon pond in my back yard so that should be perfect for her.

I am open to any and all advice! I have a little experience with turtles, but have never tried to build an outdoor habitat for one this big. How do I keep her in the pond/garden area so she doesn't end up back on the road. I have a friend who works for a vet who is very knowledgable about turtles, I am going to have her take a look at her shell to see what can be done at this point for her shell. Thank you in advance!

Old 08-01-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
AbbyGirl
So, I have her temporarily set up in a kiddy pool with a couple islands, feeder fish and edible vegetation, we will se how she does!

Old 08-01-2011, 05:55 PM   #3
AbbyGirl
Still not sure what to do for an adeqate long term home for a turtle of this size...

Old 08-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
BrianC
Can you post some pictures of the shell?
It sounds like shell rot.
Before I give you any tips in taking care of shell rot, I'd really need to see pictures to make sure thats what it actually is.

For a female RES, a 4x2x2 pond or tank is sufficient.
Water temp 76-86F
Remove the feeder fish, they are terrible for turtles.
Switch to a high quality pelleted food, Mazuri, Hikari, Trout chow also works.
Collared, mustard, and dandelion greens are good - lettuce is basically just water.
Shredded carrots, green beans, squash. Shredded apples, melons, chopped berries, skinned grapes. FRESH!
Mine always liked earthworms and crickets as an occasional treat.

The diet should be 25% commercial pelleted diet, 25% animal protein, 50% plant matter.
If you feed them right, and have them set up properly, with good filtration and water quality, they will live forever.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:59 PM   #5
AbbyGirl
Thank you BrianC! I didn't realize and adult could stay in a pond that size! I thought it would have to be bigger, I feel better about it now. She is in an 18in deep 6 foot round kiddie pond with an island now, I know I need to find something with more depth, but she seems pretty happy atm. I am trying to find an inexpensive solution to the depth problem, as the pond I was building was only going to be about a foot and half deep. My friend has a large hot tub shell I was thinking about sinking and covering with a pond liner but am not sure how that will turn out.

I took out 5 of the 6 minnows I put in her pool, she did get to one, I hope it doesn't make her sick. I have been giving her turtle pellets, lettuce and carrotts. If feeder fish are not good for her, what do you recomend for the 25% protien?

I attempted to take pictures of her shell this evening but they didn't come out. I will take some more in the morning. Thanks again BrainC!

Old 08-02-2011, 01:12 AM   #6
BrianC
White cloud minnows should be fine, I kept them with my RES.
I thought by feeders you meant the typical goldfish most places sell, which are bad.
For animal protein, crickets and earthworms work well, I know some people use fish but I never tried it. They seem to like freshwater crawfish, you can buy them frozen at the store or live ate bait shops and remove the claws so they cant harm your turtle.

No problem at all.
For the most part these guys are bullet proof.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!