water moonitors? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-06-2013, 11:29 PM   #1
ColonizedFeeders
water moonitors?

I want to get a water monitor. I plan to spend every day of the summer with it taming it down. I want to know when it gets big, will it cooperate with my dog? I have a golden weighing in at 55 lbs. if so I would plan to introduce it to my dog often to get them used to eachother young

Old 03-07-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
NIGRO51
That does not sound like a good idea. These are far from dogs. Sounds like you need to do a lot of research before making that purchase. 9 foot monitors are not to be taken lightly and although cute as a baby they have a significant life span and are not disposable.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:53 PM   #3
Chris Wilkinson
BAD IDEA

I would not introduce my dog to a baby water monitor. I have a sumatran water monitor and a black throat monitor. The water monitor is two years old and they do not all tame down so easy. Mine will simply go nuts if you try to pick him up or hold him. For the most part water monitors are more skidies and flighty when young. As they mature they seem to be less stressed for the most part. But I would not assume yours will be that easy to interact with.

My question to you are you prepared to make a cage at least 10'L x 7'W x 7' deep with at least 2.5' of fill dirt with trees and a large water tank. I'm in the process of building two cages one is 10'L x 7'W x 7' deep, with a water tank thas 4'W x 7'L and 2.5'deep with at least 2.5' of fill dirt for digging. The other is 9'L x 7'W x 7' deep with 2.5 ' of fill. I'm up to $1200 and I still have another $1100.00 to go. I have even talked about what it cost to feed a water monitor but you will have a good size food bill every month.

My black throat took me two years to interact with to where he would not try to tail whack or bite. when approached as he is running lose in the reptile room he will whack you but good if you surprise him in any way (BEING A MONITOR).

GOOD LUCK but take the time to reseach in more depth before you buy a monitor of any kind. I took two years to read everything I could get my hands on to include pages of field reports and university studies befoe I jumped in and it still took time to get the environment down as it changes as they get older and mature.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!