Lobster roaches sexing trouble - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Insects and Arachnids > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Insects and Arachnids.

Old 03-02-2005, 11:44 AM   #1
lostathome69
Question Lobster roaches sexing trouble

Hello all, i ahve a large groupe of lobster roaches, and i have bred them succussifully, but i am having the trouble of telling which is malke and which if female. I thought that the winged ones were male, but they can be both male and female, so i need help on how to sex these, it would help breeding programs, and it would help when i sell/ trade them.

Thanks

Old 03-05-2005, 12:54 AM   #2
progeckos
Just look at the mature winged adults. The ones that don’t have wings are nymphs and can’t be sexed. The males are generally smaller and flatter. Females are generally larger and more round. Hope that helps.

Old 03-10-2005, 06:46 PM   #3
John Apple
Another way with these guys to sex...the males abdomen will NEVER be bigger than the wings this does not apply to all winged roaches though, and as said above the abdomen will be flat.
The males might also be able to fly [well flutter a bit] where as the females plummit.

Old 03-13-2005, 03:59 AM   #4
progeckos
Speaking of the wings… the males usually raise them to show dominance over other males and to attract females.

Old 03-21-2005, 08:27 PM   #5
lostathome69
Wow

WOW thanks guys, this helps alot!

I'm actualy getting a dragon on a new post to trade for a bunch of them again.

Thanks for the info, it really helps.

Old 03-21-2005, 09:42 PM   #6
progeckos
Your welcome John! Good luck with them…

Old 03-21-2005, 09:44 PM   #7
leaftail
Hey Cody, I just found this thread, and am also wishing I could sex my lobsters. I've seen them raise up their wings and hold them there. So if any one of them does that, it is for sure a male?

Old 03-21-2005, 11:52 PM   #8
progeckos
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaftail
I've seen them raise up their wings and hold them here. So if any one of them does that, it is for sure a male?
That would be correct. The ones that raise their wings are the males. I’ve never seen a female raise her wings like that.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:15 PM   #9
FuzlBaby
Warning!

I see about the roaches, but if the winged ones can be male or female, depending on the shape (?) then what are the large brown ones with no wings? They are the same size as the winged ones, which I thought were just female, but I put the winged "males" in a dish for feeding and the next day there were babies!! This poses problems, I don't have all day to look at the shapes and flatness of all the roaches!! Is there any photos to show the definite difference??

Thanks

Old 09-04-2008, 04:03 PM   #10
John Apple
The 'large' brown ones are more than likely immature females as immature males are rather the same shape as the adult males...kinda smallish and flat

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!