New 2 Tegu's - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-02-2008, 05:30 PM   #1
RJK890
New 2 Tegu's

Hey All,

Well, after seeing the Tegu feces with sperm plugs I had to get one .

Just kidding. It was the whole fiasco in the Rick Sisco "Good Guy" thread, and all of the beautiful Tegu pics posted in it that made me decide to pick up a Tegu.

I picked up a Red x Blue Hybrid. He/She? is very cool. It is a little flighty when first picked up but has not attempted to bite, and after handling it for just a minute, it calms right down.

I have it in a temp enclosure and will be building it a large permanent one very soon. It has a large(enough to soak in) water dish near the basking spot of 107.5 degrees(12 hours a day.) plus a UVB bulb on the cool side of 82 degrees. At night I use a CHE bulb and it is around 90 degrees on the hot side and 80 degrees on the cool side. The enclosure also has a hide log, and I am using about 5" of Cypress mulch right now. I am going to put like 3" of Topsoil / Cypress mix on bottom and topping it with 2"-3" of Cypress mulch when I change the substrate. Is once a week enough?

I have been feeding in a separate sterilite tub. It eats 2-3 pink/crawler asf's everyday, other than one day(I only had it for one week) I fed it 18 dusted crickets, and some banana.

I am sure I will have to learn as I go, but I hope I am doing everything right so far? I got most of my info from Ron St.Pierre's site, Bluetegu.com(Thanks for the link Rick) and from talking to Bobby Hill on the phone(Thanks for taking the time to talk to me even though I didn't purchase from you, yet!) and from his web site Tegutalk.com(great site.)
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2008, 06:15 PM   #2
varnyard
Awesome, another proud tegu owner!! Nice looking tegu!!

Old 05-03-2008, 01:33 PM   #3
Wolfy-hound
That's one gorgeous baby! I can't wait to see her progress to adult. Congrats.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:24 PM   #4
RJK890
Thanks guys

My kids and I are really enjoying keeping this Tegu. I will post pics fairly often .

Old 12-23-2008, 08:24 PM   #5
RJK890
Recent pic

Here is the most recent pic I have of her, taken about 2-3 months ago before she went into hibernation. She is still a little bit flighty, but not aggressive. I can pet her all I want, but when I first pick her up she is a little bit flighty. She does not try to bite or tail whip but does scratch a little when she tries to run.
She eats great. Mainly scrambled egg, or cooked pasta/rice, with various meats and veggies. I will scramble an egg, top it with some f/t pinks or pups, dice some Parsley, snow peas, blackberries, or whatever garnish it is for the night and serve it on some cut cooked pasta or rice.
Once, sometimes twice a week she gets a treat of some dusted crickets, and worms and then some melon.
I have her listed in the classified section here, but have mixed feelings on selling her. I really want to buy the male yearling Red x Blue that Varnyard has available and breed them.
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2008, 02:08 AM   #6
varnyard
I did not know my male was for sale, but if you twist my arm just right, who knows.

Here is my boy:
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!