Thinking of owning a tortoise or box turtle... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
airanderson17
Thinking of owning a tortoise or box turtle...

I just a acquired a 30 Long aquarium and have been wanting a tortoise for awhile now. I have looked around at a lot of caresheets, but I still don't know which tortoise or box turtle would be good for a 30 long aquarium. I would like a very personable tortoise or box turtle and one that would fit for a beginner.
Thanks!

Old 05-19-2009, 10:01 PM   #2
airanderson17
I live in ohio so i could probably keep outdoors for some of the year.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:33 PM   #3
Tiger Lilly
Info

I have been doing some reading on turtles lately, and ran across this:

Land Turtles – typically box turtles or tortoises. Heavy, dome-shaped animals who don’t swim well. Range from fairly small (Egyptian Tortoise; 3-toed box turtle) up to enormous. Can be kept indoors but the consensus is that a good outdoor setup is best for overall well-being. The smallest should be kept in at least a 40 gallon Rubbermaid tub, & that’s awfully cramped. Most should have a 4’x4’ or larger setup. Clear-walled enclosures (i.e.: aquariums) aren’t good.

Here's the link for the page it's on:

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Art...landturtle.htm

Maybe someone on here will dispute what I've posted, but I don't know anything other than what I've recently read.
Good luck!

Old 05-21-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
LauraB
I agree with Troi that a 30-long is just way too small for a land turtle. That tank would be more suited for a small water turtle; musk or mud species.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:13 PM   #5
ssshane
If you are wanting a box turtle, start your outdoor enclosure and get it ready. As far as the glass tank, if you use it, trim the bottom 5 or 6 inches with something that will obstruct the view. I have bought the rolls of border material that you use at the tops of walls, it works well. What I have found that works well indoors is the "holiday tree" storage bin sold at Wal Mart. Its around 5 or 6 ft long, somewhere around 3 ft wide, and shallow.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:53 PM   #6
Tiger Lilly
That makes sense (duh)...maybe I can use one of my larger tanks as a temp indoor enclosure after all!

Old 05-29-2009, 10:17 PM   #7
ssshane
I have also used 40 qt bins to store them over the winter as well. I keep a small bowl of fresh water in there. I only put 2 in each one. I have seen some disturbing photos of torts stored in fridges, as many as would fit on a shelf. No bins of any sort, just torts, wall to wall. It may work for them, but my conscious wouldn't allow that. And since I only have 4 box turtles, they are pets, not a business venture. Any and all babies will be released back into the wild. Since mine stay outdoors from April until around Nov, and stored in my cold garage, I don't worry about the releasing back to the wild. I would never do that with my cb snakes, but thats a different story all together. I am not incubating any eggs, if they lay them, they are out there to hatch on their own.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!