Different species in same habitat - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #1
ghayes
Different species in same habitat

I was wondering if anyone had any experience putting different monitor species in the same inclosure. I am asking because I currently have a yellow monitor(V. Melinus) and am expecting and high yellow water monitor(V. Salvator) soon. I understand that they both do well in high humidity, and thrive with similar substrates. I have seperate inclosures, but was thinking to save the use of seperate inclosures and lighting, that I would try to house them together for a while, until the water dragon starts to get too big. Any advice on the matter is appreciated. Thanks!

George

Old 02-18-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
Edwardo
Never kept to species of monitor lizard together and not an expert either, but being you didnt get any replies, my gut guess would be.....

You would be taking a chance, Like as in what one might do to the other when your not around. You could come home to a dead lizard.

Not to mention, if you kept them together, you would need multiple basking spots, and more hide areas throughout the cage.
Also it would need to be fairly large cage, so if they needed to get away from each other, they could, and still no guarantees.

Why not just set the other cage up if you have it? Piece of mind.
good luck Bob

Old 02-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #3
ghayes
Thanks for the advice, Bob. Makes sense to me. I will do that. Thanks again.

George

Old 01-03-2014, 12:23 PM   #4
JOELVARGAS91
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghayes View Post
I was wondering if anyone had any experience putting different monitor species in the same inclosure. I am asking because I currently have a yellow monitor(V. Melinus) and am expecting and high yellow water monitor(V. Salvator) soon. I understand that they both do well in high humidity, and thrive with similar substrates. I have seperate inclosures, but was thinking to save the use of seperate inclosures and lighting, that I would try to house them together for a while, until the water dragon starts to get too big. Any advice on the matter is appreciated. Thanks!

George
YOU READ MY MIND!!!! I have a V. Melinus as well and a caiman lizard, they are both the same age, same length but the caiman is more bulky of corse They will both stay around the same length the older they get as well. I have the melinus in a 55 g and the caiman lizard in a 100g. I wanted to convert that 100 gallon to a 6' tall by 6' long by 3' deep enclosure and the 100g aquarium would be their aquarium where they could swim, its 2' deep so their would be 1' of soil. I was going to begin construction this weekend. Both lizards have same requierments as in water feature/climbing/and land area/ as well with lots of foliage and hiding boxes up high and low for both of them. But I am not confidenet of how they would be together even though I could meet both needs in one shot. I think I want to atleast try it. If I see its not working out I will seperate and begin construction for an outdoor enclosure for the monitor. I know everyone is VERY! against these kind of ideas. But if it works for me then it works, if it dosen't I will make sure to remove one imidietly! as I do not wish to loose one of them. I respect everyones ideas, opinions, and advice so please do the same with me. These days you see more and more community tanks, as well as more docile species as they are CB and constantly breeded. On a side note take a look at this documentary http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/dogs-decoded/.
Yes its about dogs and dogs are very intelligent, but monitor lizards are as well, and there had been claims caiman lizards as well but with no reaserch to back it up so we wouldnt know. But anyways it comes to show the genes of foxes, the aggresive breeded with aggressive and the docile breeded with the docile thus giving birth to even more docile, and even more aggresive offspring, with the docile showing changes in color, shape, length, skeletal formation. (skip to 35:25 min. into the movie) yes yes their dogs these are reptiles, but wouldnt this be an interesting thesis. Someone may already have covered it but idk its worth a shot I say, (for me though) idk about your melinus and salvator. The size difference there is a big worry and salvators seem to have a more aggresive demenor than others. Maybe if you found a smaller species that stays around the same size as the melinus and same requierements it may work. like a tri color monitor, Peach throat, mongrove, blue tail, dumerils, roughnecks. (these have about the same adult size and care requirements as well)
Its just my 2 cents, Please dont scrutinize me for my ideas. Its just what I am looking to do, trying to do more reaserch but I think I am going to try put them together. Again I will remove them as soon as I see bad signs.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:19 PM   #5
Quantum Varanics
It appears as though George has sold both monitors (and this is obviously an old thread), so I just want to add a bit for others who may pose such a question and seek answers in the future.

From my own experiences in rearing several species (in quantities from pairs to quintets) well as reports from those far wiser and more experienced, social grouping is beneficial to monitors and should be encouraged - most especially when acquiring young babies. That stated, I would refrain in the situation presented by the thread starter. Many variables in this particular arrangement remain unclear, but the species differences alone are enough to give me pause. Even if we operate under the assumption that these two animals are the same length snout-to-vent, V. melinus are far more slight in body than V. salvator spp. and this difference will quickly become more pronounced in a matter of mere weeks (if weighed daily, the vast discrepancy would be noticed even sooner). Feeding could also become an issue unless quantities are carefully rationed and recorded - simply setting prey items into a habitat that contains two high-metabolic rate ectotherms (each with its own very dissimilar growth rate when compared to that of the other) and assuming they each devour the amount allotted to the respective animal would be silly and wishful thinking at best. The entire idea just isn't wise, and surely not worth any possible risk it could pose.

In practice, social grouping amongst conspecifics of similar age typically works well for most Varanids. There can be exceptions as can occur when working within the context of any probability set, but we are speaking in terms of standard results which are very largely positive for such an arrangement. One last thing I wish to note is that I am not entirely opposed to the idea of housing neonatal to older juveniles of different species within the same complex together if done for a specific and necessary purpose. If, for example, one were able to acquire a baby V. yuwonoi but could not locate another of a similar age for early socialization, I'd think it reasonable to house the aforementioned animal with, say, a V. doreanus of equal size until another Tri-colored Monitor became available and the conspecifics could be gradually introduced. Granted the situation and purpose for a temporary arrangement of this nature, one can rationalize that potential risks would be very minimal while the benefit of early socialization would be undeniably great if a person hoped to pair the Tri-colored Monitor at a later date.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!