Clark Tucker, Nicole Tucker, and Jackie Tucker of Clark's Geckos- BAD GUYS!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 09-22-2006, 12:03 AM   #1
Crested Lady
Clark Tucker, Nicole Tucker, and Jackie Tucker of Clark's Geckos- BAD GUYS!!!

I have been a distributor of Clark's Diet for quite some time. Historically, I have used their product and had no issues recommending it to others. Today, I called them in regards to a large order I had placed some time back. During the course of our conversation, they mentioned that they were changing an ingredient in the diet. I would like to make it very clear that I do not have an issue with changing ingredients, provided they are analyzed for nutritional quality prior to distribution. I expressed some concern over the change, only to be told that the ingredient was fine, and as justification, they stated to me that they had used the new ingredient repeatedly in the past without notifying distributors or consumers.

Regardless of the nature of the change, I have a HUGE ethical problem retailing something when I am not 100% sure of the contents. The Tucker's sold my customers and I a product after changing the formula and not informing us of the change or bothering to have it analyzed for nutritional value. The previous diet was analyzed by the Feed Analysis Laboratory at the University of Auburn. The new ingredient got no such scientific validation before it was used WITHOUT CONSUMER KNOWLEDGE. Speaking to the manufacturer today, she stated that in times when an ingredient ran out, she would just add this in it's place. While I can understand the necessity behind having to change an ingredient, I CAN NOT in good faith retail a product to MY customers when the producer is involved in unethical and questionable business practices.

I informed the Tuckers that I would like to rescind my order for their product and get my money back. At the time, Mr. Tucker agreed. I immediately went to my site (www.crestedlady.com) and removed the diet from my available product inventory. I posted a vague blanket statement about product quality and expressed my regret that I would no longer be able to carry this product. A few hours later, I received a phone call from the Tuckers which I had to hang up on, due to out of control obscenities and yelling. I sent an e-mail to the Tuckers reminding them that I wanted my funds returned by tomorrow. (Friday September 22, 2006) Their reply to my e-mail denied that they owed me any funds at all (despite the fact that I have PayPal receipts, have received no product, and cancelled my order before anything was shipped), and referred me to their new part owner/business manager... Jackie Tucker. I replied to their e-mail and stated that I just wanted my money back and it would be easier for us both to put this incident behind us, and not have to resort to legal counsel or the BOI.

At 9:30 pm, Jackie Tucker called my residence and stated that in their opinion, the new ingredient was comparable to the old and they would not be returning my funds. Due to the fact that I have neither product or the funds I paid for it, I immediately filed a PayPal claim and turned to the BOI. While I can understand them being upset with the loss of a distributor, that does not justify the theft of $348.60. I have dealt with unhappy customers in the past and am proud to say that in every situation I have done my best to make sure the customer is 100% satisfied. As anyone who has been in this business for any length of time knows, if that means a 100% return of funds, sometimes that's what it takes.

I'd like to make it very clear, I'm not saying Clark's Diet is a health risk for geckos as far as I know. However, until the new ingredient is analyzed, no one can make that call one way or another. What I am saying is that no one should have to receive obscene phone calls, be denied the return of funds that are theirs, or have to be engaged in this sort of dispute with a manufacturer. The reason I, personally, will not EVER do business with the Tucker's again is not that they changed an ingredient... it's that they willfully concealed the truth from their distributors and customers and it is this lack of business ethics that forces me to terminate our business relationship. I made a lot of money selling Clark's Diet every month, and the revenue will be missed, but for me, it is not worth tarnishing my reputation by being involved with fraudulent business people. I feel they do a disservice to our entire community by placing the dollar ahead of customer satisfaction and animal well-being.

Old 09-22-2006, 12:06 PM   #2
Gexx
Sorry to hear of your experience with them, but it isnt the first time theyve treated someone with less than complete honesty.

Old 09-22-2006, 03:41 PM   #3
Melle
Thanks for posting, Sarah. I was beginning to wonder about the sudden disappearance of the Clark's diet from people who had sold it in the past. I completely agree with your reasons for no longer wanting to sell it anymore. It shows great care for your customers as well! I know I dont want to be feeding my geckos a product that all the ingredients may not have been 100% tested and analyzed to be good for them, let alone changed and not informing any distributors of the change.. It sucks though, because my geckos love the stuff. but better to be safe than sorry.

There is NO reason you should not get all your money back from that order, and i really hope you end up getting it all back in the end. It sucks that you had to deal with the nasty phone calls as well. What a total lack of business ethics on their part.

Old 09-22-2006, 05:00 PM   #4
Power House Reptiles
I would like to address this issue between Sarah and clarksgeckos. We recently found out that one of the ingredients we used for the diet has been discontinued. That ingredient is Gerber Little Flakes. Gerber has two flavors in that line of cereal, Mixed Fruit and Apple Cherry. Now, keep in mind that this product was for our personal use when formulated. After about 2 months we had such great results using it we sent a few samples to a couple of friends. They demanded that we sell it to the public. So after several more months of testing here with our animals we decided to sell it to the public. We played with both flavors and found that all the geckos ate both. We decided on Mixed Fruit mainly because it was mixed fruit.
I cannot locate a box of Mixed Fruit in my area but I will be going out of town tomorrow and will look in stores there. I want to supply a picture for the proof as to what I am about to explain. I called Gerber this morning and asked the lady to give me the exact nutritional analysis on the Mixed Fruit. They could not e-mail it to me but, the lady was extremely nice and went over all of it with me. The only difference between the two are as follows: on the Mixed Fruit the sodium is 5mg per 1/4 cup on the Apple Cherry the sodium is 0mg, on Mixed Fruit the potassium is 45mg per 1/4 cup on Apple Cherry the potassium is 50mg per 1/4 cup, on Mixed Fruit the dietary fiber is 0g on Apple Cherry the dietary fiber 1g. On the % Daily Value the ONLY difference is on the Mixed Fruit the vitamin E is 4% and on Apple Cherry the vitamin E is 15%. So actually in my opinion the Apple Cherry is better. Please visit this site and see for yourself that it is the same line cereal and product just a different flavor.
http://www.gerber.com/toddlersite?tm...tml&tmspromo=2

The only reason we are using Apple Cherry right now is because I cannot get any Mixed Fruit. Because this product is being discontinued we are trying to formulate diets that will be equal to or greater than the original formulas. We have the Clark's F.D.G. available and will continue to distribute it it was made using Little Flakes Apple Cherry.

I am completely astounded by the way this is being addressed. All I can say is that this situation is definitely nothing like its being made out to be. I will do my best to get a box of Mixed Fruit for a picture of both cereals. Please contact us with any questions or concerns you may have concerning this issue.

Thank you,
Nicole & Clark Tucker @clarksgeckos

Old 09-22-2006, 05:08 PM   #5
tropheusfreak
I don't think she is having that big of a deal about the added ingredient, she just stated that she doesn't want to use the new formula. From what I read she is more upset with the way you are dealing with her request for a refund, or I should say the way your not dealing with it. I would think since nothing was shipped out to her and she made the request for a refund in a timely manner you should refund all her money back before more people decide to cancel their orders.

David Suess
Priarieland Reptiles
Minnesota

Old 09-22-2006, 05:15 PM   #6
shrap
I wondered why she failed to mention this all important ingredient change. Now I see why, because it was not all that important of an ingredient change.

I do however understand her not wanting the product anymore and asking for a refund. I feel it is in her right considering it is no longer exactly the product she thought she was purchasing.

Although personally, the ingredient change would not have caused me to cancel my order.

Old 09-22-2006, 05:37 PM   #7
Power House Reptiles
Sarah Milroy will be refunded her full amount!!!

Old 09-22-2006, 05:54 PM   #8
Crested Lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksgeckos
In the begining we used both, considering that the analysis on both Little Flakes boxs we VERY simular.

While I sympathize with the original product's discontinuation, my issue is that the Tucker's did not notify the distributors or the public before selling modified product. In order for me to sell a product on my site, I must have total confidence in it and it's manufacturer. Regretably, I can no longer say this about Clark's Diet.

Quote:
We only wanted to be sure you were supplied while the new formula was being formulated.

I appreciate the Tucker's desire to continue having diet available, however, I don't think that makes it acceptable to alter a product without people's knowledge and retail it in the interim. Had this not made it online, it is likely that very few consumers ever would have known they were not buying buying the original product.

Quote:
I tried to explain this to Sarah but she would NOT listen. I can assure you that after having the Apple Cherry and the Mixed Friut analysed there would be little difference.

I did listen to Mr. Tucker's explanation, but I am of the opinion that the analysis should have taken place before the product was altered. Guarantees of future reliability and little difference are not good enough for a product that I am putting my name and reputation behind. And do you honestly expect me to sit through a harassing phone call where every other word is an obscenity?

Additionally, the manufacturer suggested that I take the diet to Tinley and retail it without notifying the consumer. I refuse to participate in business practices that are not 100% honest. I believe that an omission of the truth is just as bad as a lie and I refuse to be dishonest in my business dealings.

Quote:
Sarah has plenty of the diet made with Mixed Fruit, I want to ask her to put 1 pund of it in a box and ship it to Auburn University, dont worry Sarah I am going to pay you for the diet and shipping.

I appreciate the Tucker's change of heart in the last 12 hours over the refund of my money. However, the distributor should not be placed in the position of doing a manufacturer's quality control for him. It's not my job to do nutritional analysis, certainly not after the product has already been altered and customers have been sold a false bill of goods.

Quote:
Now, to answer your question about if Clarks F.G.D.needs to be disregarded. No, what you have bought is 100% fine to feed to your geckos as well as this diet I have here made with Apple Cherry.

I agree that nutritionally, there is most likely nothing wrong with the new ingredients. If the Tucker's had done the analysis beforehand, or, barring that, just made the consumer aware of the changes before they had taken place, I would have no problem with the situation. As it is, knowing that distributors unwittingly sold an altered product, gives me grave concern. On top of the product issue, the larger issue for me as a distributor is that, unfortunately, I have to refuse to do business with people who show questionable ethics in the methods they use with their consumers.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By the way, these are the e-mails exchanged between me and the Tucker's last night when they blatantly refused a refund. I guess it's good to see that the BOI works when it comes to enforcing payment from unscrupulous people.

----- Original Message -----
To: clarksgeckos
Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2006 8:20 PM
Subject: PayPal

Mr. and Mrs. Tucker,

Please refund the $348.60 I paid for the 30 lbs. of the Clark's Diet (shipped) by Friday September 22. Thank you for your cooperation.

Sincerely,
Sarah Milroy
www.crestedlady.com

Mrs. Milroy,
I do not acknowledge that I owe you any money but, if you would like to collect any money that you feel may be owed to you then I would suggest that you contact the owner , Jackie Tucker, of the Frugivorous Diets at 334-XXX-XXXX.

Sincerely,
Clark & Nicole Tucker
www.clarksgeckos.com

Mr. and Mrs. Tucker,

Think very carefully about what you are doing. I have PayPal receipts with no verified shipping. The money was paid to your account in good faith. If I am forced to file a PayPal claim due to your failure to refund money paid for a product which was not delivered, not only will I be contacting the legal counsel which my family keeps on retainer, I will have no choice but to go to the Fauna BOI. Your diet had ingredients which you did not disclose to your distributors, and therefore, to the people using the product. You willfully deceived the consumers of your product, which is something I refuse to be a part of.

The statement on my site was ambiguous enough that no long term harm will come to you or your business and that statement encompasses everything I plan on saying to anyone who inquires. If you had told me and your customers about the ingredient change as soon as you started adding additional ingredients which were not tested, there would have been no issue. Hearing that there have been "10% of this product switched" before the announcement is completely unacceptable. I feel that from a business standpoint, today's revelations constitute unethical and fraudulent behavior. However, I would be completely happy just walking away from any business transactions with you. I don't want this to turn into an issue. I just want my money back. I have PayPal receipts and transaction dates that show you were paid. Please do not force me to turn this into a legal issue.

Sincerely,
Sarah Milroy
www.crestedlady.com

----- Original Message -----
To: WTUCKER1@sw.rr.com
Sent: Friday, September 22, 2006 9:51 AM
Subject: Fauna Classifieds BOI

Mr. and Mrs. Tucker,

I have opened a thread about your business practices on the Fauna BOI. I regret that it had to come to this, but feel free to read and respond as you see fit.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=87174

Sincerely,
Sarah Milroy
www.crestedlady.com

Mrs, Milroy
The new owner of Clarks F.G.D., Jackie Tucker will be sending a check to Isreal Ben Joseph to give to you in the amount of $348.60 on Saturday morning. I am sorry for any confusion we may have caused you.

Sincerely,
Clark & Nicole Tucker
www.clarksgeckos.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 09-22-2006, 06:02 PM   #9
Crested Lady
The quotes from my previous statement were taken off the Pangea site before Mr. Tucker modified his original statement for the BOI. I do not have time to respond to every statement he sees fit to modify and abridge. I feel my previous post covers everything. His full original post as written on Pangea reads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksgeckos
I would like to explain the issue between us and Sarah. One of the ingredients we used in Clarks Diet is discontinued. That ingredient was Gerber Little Flakes, keep in mind that this product was formulated for our personal use. After using it here for about 2 months we sent a few sample bags to some friends of ours to try and they demanded we offer it to the public. So we did. Now, Gerber has 2 flavors in that line of cereal, Mixed Fruit and Apple Cherry. In the begining we used both, considering that the analysis on both Little Flakes boxs we VERY simular. So simular in fact that the analysis on both boxes are the same except, on the Mixed fruit the sodium content is 5mg per 1/4 cup on the Apple Cherry 0mg per 1/4 cup, Potassium on the Mixed Fruit is 45mg per 1/4 cup and on Apple Cherry Potassium 50mg per 1/4 cup, Dietary Fiber on the Mixed Fruit 0g per 1/4 cup, on Apple Cherry Dietary Fiber 1g per 1/4 cup. The ONLY difference in the % Daily Value was the vitamin E content, in Mixed Fruit is 4% and on the Apple Cherry 15%. Now finding a box of Mixed Fruit is going to probably be near impossible, thats why I had to use the Apple Cherry for the last batch of the original formulas. I called Gerber this morning to find out the nutritional information on the Mixed Fruit. I will be out of town tomorrow and I will be sure to stop at every store I pass and locate a box so a picture can be displayed.The Apple Cherry is only being used at this time because the Mixed Fruit cannot be located in my area or surrounding areas. We only wanted to be sure you were supplied while the new formula was being formulated. I tried to explain this to Sarah but she would NOT listen. I can assure you that after having the Apple Cherry and the Mixed Friut analysed there would be little difference. Sarah has plenty of the diet made with Mixed Fruit, I want to ask her to put 1 pund of it in a box and ship it to Auburn University, dont worry Sarah I am going to pay you for the diet and shipping. I will then turn around and send the diet from here with the Apple Cherry. As soon as the analysis arrives I will be sure scan and post it on BOI and here if needed.

Now, to answer your question about if Clarks F.G.D.needs to be disregarded. No, what you have bought is 100% fine to feed to your geckos as well as this diet I have here made with Apple Cherry. Here, let me paste Gerbers website here so you can see for yourself. http://www.gerber.com/toddlersite?tm...l&t mspromo=2 I treid to get them to e-mail it to me but, they said they could not do that. So like I said I will try and find a box of Mixed Fruit and display a picture.Please contact us if you have any concerns or questions.

Old 09-22-2006, 06:11 PM   #10
shrap
Sarah,

I can understand you not wanting the product any longer, but I do think you are making a mountain out of a molehill as far as the ingredient change. Blowing the situation completely out of proportion considering the two ingredients we are talking about.

You are getting your refund so be happy. It seems at this point you are wanting to hurt someone's reputation and not just get a refund. I for one think you are being petty and vindictive by trying to hurt someones reputation even though you are getting your refund.

Clark did the right thing by refunding you your money, now why dont you try doing the right thing and graciously accept it. Otherwise it is going to reflect poorly on you.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!