Shipping question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-12-2012, 01:26 AM   #1
Kingofspades
Shipping question

Ok, so I have a bit of a dilemma on my hands.
I am shipping an animal to someone who won a contest on my youtube channel. He lives in California. I am in CT.
So the best day LOOKED like next Monday...it will be 90 in Cali on Tuesday, so I figured I would put a cooling pack in there. I got 10 of the Phase 22 cold packs from Reptilesexpress.
I was thinking that would be fine and dandy, until I noticed the overnight temps will be in the 60's.

Now I am stuck. The cooling packs are supposed to keep the box around 75 degrees...do I put a heating pack AND cooling pack in the box to keep steady temps no matter what happens?

Opinions?
I know the obvious idea is wait to ship, but it looks like that will be the lowest temps for Cali for the rest of the month, and one can only assume August will be worse.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:47 AM   #2
Double B Reptiles
with the overnight temps being in the 60's I wouldn't worry about using either. definitely don't use the heat pack. The cool pack is just going to make them colder at night, and could cause too low of temps. you would be perfectly fine without either. the snakes may arrive a little cold, but it isn't anywhere near harmful temps, as long as it is just over night, and not for extended periods(like your case with shipping). I have had an escapee before, in the dead of winter in washington, come out just fine after being gone for weeks(I keep my house temps in the upper 60's). If you use a heat pack, and the shipping gets delayed for any reason, you could risk killing the animal(s), since the temps will be 90.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:57 AM   #3
hhmoore
I would skip the cold pack...and the option of door to door, personally. Have it held at the nearest FedEx staffed facility for customer pickup. If the customer if too far away, that may not be an option; but most are understanding when it is for the well being of the animal.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:14 AM   #4
Double B Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
I would skip the cold pack...and the option of door to door, personally. Have it held at the nearest FedEx staffed facility for customer pickup. If the customer if too far away, that may not be an option; but most are understanding when it is for the well being of the animal.
Yep, that is what I have people do when shipping to me. I pick up at my hub every time. Glad you mentioned that Harold!

Old 07-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #5
Rock Star Reptile
No packs at all. SHould be fine. As long as you are insulating it correctly should be a pc of cake. Good luck

Old 07-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
Shadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
Agreed. You could also ask for some extra time for a cooldown break in temps if that makes you feel more comfortable. Most buyers will understand.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!