Snakes are dirty creatures... - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:35 AM   #11
blackandblue_lulu
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarichter View Post
I'm a mom of grown children, but I used to be you. Now I have my own home (with my family), and, yes, I buy whatever reptiles I want. But, some very important things happened first:

1. I was able to pay for everything else first (gas, food, utilities, loans, furniture, insurance, repairs, clothes, toiletries, appliances, medicine, and on and on.)

2. This is important: You will not sell a fraction of the reptiles you plan to sell. Ask anyone. This is NOT a way to pay bills. It's a hobby, that might for itself on a very good month, but mostly will not.

Sorry to be pessimistic; this is the reality. Please be patient. There will be more white snakes. I probably saw 20 at our last show. Some sold, some didn't.
So put this on the back burner, and learn as much as you can about the hobby. Some day, hopefully, you'll be in a position to make your dream purchases.

Noelle
I am going to college for Animation and Media Arts. Snakes is just a hobby, something to come home to and relax really after hours of sitting in front of a computer or packing staples. I also have insomnia, and my bird sleeps at night, so I snake is really perfect for me since they are nocturnal.

Either way, you are correct. I need more money and to be stable, I'm still young, even though I'm 20. I'll learn patience, and hopefully good things will happen. Who knows.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:27 AM   #12
IMAJACOBIAN
I too have had problems with my family accepting the reptiles I keep. I keep the majority of my animals in my home. Both my parents refuse to come to my house and haven't in a couple of years. They are severly afraid of snakes, even corn snakes, hognose, they don't care what it is as long as it's as far away from them as possible. My wife convinced them to come to our house the beginning of Sep. this year for by daughter birthday party. Both of them just sat still and starred around and said no snakes are going show up around us are they. It pissed me off so much. They refuse to listen to me or anyone about any snakes and love to watch all the hot shows where the guys collect Burms and Hots and Etc in Florida. My dad even donated money to help fight our rights to exotics animals of any type. He donated thousands, but had no interest in donating until I kept reptiles myself. Needless to say, I don't speak with much of my distant family because my parents tell my family how dirty we are for keeping them. There is no smell in smell in our house and all rodents are kept in a shed with the frozens being in a chest freezer just for them in the basement. Some people just will not listen and don't care to know the truth because they already have there mind made up.

With all that said, it is her house with her rules. When I lived with my parents, I was into model trains and stuck with that hobby for years even in my current home after I lived away from them for several years. I never tried to keep reptiles with them because I was not into them at the time and was mis-informed myself. Don't give up, but you may have to live with it for a while. It will be worth the wait if you must wait. Keeping reptiles is a very rewarding hobby, but don't expect to make a lot of money. I have many animals and have been raising them for a while now. This coming year is the first year I plan on babies. I have sunk an unknown amount of money into this hobby with the intentions of making a little back at a time, but maybe not. Sometimes things just don't work out, animals don't breed yearly, or they were mis-sexed, or one dies for no apparent reason. They could go egg-bound and die while laying, who knows what could happen until it does. Also, the value of morphs tend to drop in time, especially with co-dominant morphs. When you buy a young snake with the intentions of raising and breeding it, you don't know what it will be worth in the future.

I would reccomend inviting her to an educational outing with a hands on approach with different harmless reptiles. Demonstrate to her the animals you want can safely be contained and handled in a responsible manor. I have had a difficult time getting this across to my parents, but it will be worth it if they ever give in and want to see them. I go to the Cincinnati Zoo regularly. During the summer they take the smaller reptiles outside and show them off and teach about there native environments. They usually allow you to see and feel them, but not hold them. Contact the Indy Zoo and see if they do the same and invite her to see them in person. If she sees your serious and dedicated to this hobby maybe she will change her mind. Just don't get yourself in over you head with dangerous and/or too many animals. It's all abour responsible care and from our previous conversations it seems as though your headed in the correct direction

Thanks,

Jacob

Old 10-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #13
blackandblue_lulu
I only want ball pythons. And I have a zoo membership so I go there regularly. They don't let you touch the snakes. Most of them are hots, but one is a rainbow boa. They also have my favorite the Green Tree Python.

The only way would be to get her to go to a show. Zoos aren't a close enough experience in my mind. She isn't terrified, or at least she denies it. Nor does she say they are discussing, my step dad on the other hand just wants to kill them if he sees them. He is terrified.

It's complicated, we cannot control people, so I am just going to move on and wait a while.

I've wanted a snake since I was young. Had every other pet, so this feeling will never go away.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:38 PM   #14
AbsoluteApril
good luck, you definitely are putting in a big effort. I tried all though childhood and teen years to convince my mom to let me get a cat. It never worked (she hates animals). So I had to wait until I was on my own, now I have cats. : )

Old 10-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #15
blackandblue_lulu
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
good luck, you definitely are putting in a big effort. I tried all though childhood and teen years to convince my mom to let me get a cat. It never worked (she hates animals). So I had to wait until I was on my own, now I have cats. : )
I really wish it didn't have to be that way though... :/

I am just teased by only getting to handle snakes at the reptile shows. None of my friends own them. That's why I've had trouble with all of this.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #16
blackandblue_lulu
It just sucks because I all have the equipment. I could hook it up and have heat and everything... but no snakes... It's depressing. At least I will be prepared for when I can buy...

Old 10-30-2012, 02:26 PM   #17
Shadera
This advice is gonna suck, but this is what I'd do. (and did, because I was in your situation.) Sell the snake equipment. Get a refund on what you can from the snakes. Use that money to make yourself more independent. Get out of your mom's house, and never look back. You're young. There's plenty of time to have a house full of snakes if you want them. Heck, I'm almost forty and just now have a house where I have an actual dedicated snake room and can go over the top nuts buying stuff I want. It will give you something to work towards, and will keep you focused through school.

Good luck!

Old 10-30-2012, 03:44 PM   #18
blackandblue_lulu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadera View Post
This advice is gonna suck, but this is what I'd do. (and did, because I was in your situation.) Sell the snake equipment. Get a refund on what you can from the snakes. Use that money to make yourself more independent. Get out of your mom's house, and never look back. You're young. There's plenty of time to have a house full of snakes if you want them. Heck, I'm almost forty and just now have a house where I have an actual dedicated snake room and can go over the top nuts buying stuff I want. It will give you something to work towards, and will keep you focused through school.

Good luck!
The equipment wasn't that expensive. Haha The snakes are more than the equipment. I am spending $650 on both snakes. (which I haven't bought yet)

I make around $200 a week, it's just that I couldn't pay for the apartment with out my boy friend, and he is jobless (currently about to be hired). We just don't want to jump into things with out savings.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #19
Tere Salazar
Just a quick question. You said you have these animals on "hold". Are you planning on informing the sellers who are holding these animals for you of what's going on? Or you would prefer they just randomly stop into Fauna and read your post and figure it out for themselves?

Old 10-30-2012, 04:20 PM   #20
blackandblue_lulu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tere Salazar View Post
Just a quick question. You said you have these animals on "hold". Are you planning on informing the sellers who are holding these animals for you of what's going on? Or you would prefer they just randomly stop into Fauna and read your post and figure it out for themselves?

I am still determining on what I am going to do, of course I'm going to tell them. I'm just ashamed I will have to.

I am determining if I will have someone else hold them here locally, or just give up. Moving time is what is preventing me, since it is undetermined once again.

I would never do that to someone. Honestly I thought everything was fine until 2 days ago.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!