Favorite python size to work with - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: Favorite size range for pythons
6 feet and under 71 35.86%
6 to 10 feet 74 37.37%
10 to 20 feet 43 21.72%
20 feet plus 10 5.05%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-22-2005, 12:48 PM   #11
PaulSage
Since this got bumped to the top anyway...

I'd vote for under 6 feet. I would like to have big lug of a boa, ... but I like my dog too much

Old 07-13-2005, 02:31 PM   #12
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSage
I'd vote for under 6 feet. I would like to have big lug of a boa, ... but I like my dog too much
Must be a small dog.

Even my biggest scrub (Brutus is about 12 feet or so) would probably have trouble consuming my smallest dog (George, a ~20 lb pug). I suppose though that George would make a nice meal for a retic or a burm.

Old 10-04-2005, 08:21 AM   #13
kzooherpetoculturist
i like smaller snakes as their not so cumbersome... that's why i chose a spotted - that and they have the coolest markings IMO.

Old 10-04-2005, 10:33 AM   #14
sirenofthestorm
I prefer under 10 ft. I love (normal) burms, but I don't want to have to be restricted to only handling the snake when someone else is present and able to pull a huge boid off of me if something were to go wrong.

Gimme an 8 ft argie or 7 ft carpet and I'm in heaven

Some 5 ft balls aren't bad though

Old 10-22-2005, 04:05 PM   #15
Southwick Herps
anywhere 10ft and under is fine by me.
I love holding the snakes at the 6-10mark though, real fun to get out of the tank. I dont have anything that big yet, not til my 2 baby boas start growing. They eat great, and I excpect the colombian to be 4 feet by the year mark, she is only 1 month old, and pounding rat pups.

Old 03-16-2006, 06:35 PM   #16
redknee
10ft and under for me , because thats all im used to so far.
My biggest snakes were a pair of Argentine Boa's (BCOccidentalis) my female was the biggest at 9.3 ft and a hell of a lot of girth to her , great fun they were. regrettably i had to sell them with the rest of my collection when i went travelling as noone would look after them

Old 03-27-2006, 07:43 PM   #17
esoteric-lizard
10ft - 30ft!!!!!!!!!!!!

RETIC OWNERS UNITE!!!

Old 04-07-2006, 09:42 PM   #18
Jake The Snake
I said 6-10' for 2 reasons.
1. my area allows no snake withthe potential to grow over 8'
2. A python that maxes out arund 10' for the most part won't be an escape artist and is easy to find when they do find a way out(and most of them do).

Just my oppinion on it. Looking forward to more peoples oppinions to be expressed

Old 04-08-2006, 01:46 AM   #19
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake The Snake
2. A python that maxes out arund 10' for the most part won't be an escape artist and is easy to find when they do find a way out(and most of them do).
Jake - I just have to ask: why do you think that a python that maxes out at around 10 ft won't be an escape artist? Why is it that most of them do find a way out (and wouldn't that make them escape artists)?

And just a side comment - how hard a snake is to find is related to a combination of the environment and how thoroughly you look. The only reason that the snakes size is a factor is that smaller ones can fit into smaller holes so there are more escape routes/hiding places for them. A 10 ft snake can hide just as effectively, and it is just that much more frustrating because you think it should be easy to find, lol

Old 04-08-2006, 04:27 PM   #20
Jake The Snake
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
Jake - I just have to ask: why do you think that a python that maxes out at around 10 ft won't be an escape artist? Why is it that most of them do find a way out (and wouldn't that make them escape artists)?

And just a side comment - how hard a snake is to find is related to a combination of the environment and how thoroughly you look. The only reason that the snakes size is a factor is that smaller ones can fit into smaller holes so there are more escape routes/hiding places for them. A 10 ft snake can hide just as effectively, and it is just that much more frustrating because you think it should be easy to find, lol
Basically my reasoning is this, its easier to close off a room for a large python or boa than a small childrens python thats all. A large python needs a much sturdier cage but it can have a bigger gaps(1/4") on a large bodied snake, while a thin bodied snake you will have a problem with even the smallest openeing. Just my .02 cents. We all percive it differently. A 3' corn snake could fit through a tiny space while lets say a 3' blood would need a large hole. Maybe my idea in my head of a 6-10 foot snake is a heavy bodied boa or python. Again, just what I thought of in my head

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!