Favorite python size to work with - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: Favorite size range for pythons
6 feet and under 71 35.86%
6 to 10 feet 74 37.37%
10 to 20 feet 43 21.72%
20 feet plus 10 5.05%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-08-2006, 06:18 PM   #21
hhmoore
I wasn't trying to give you a hard time...just to understand your thought a bit better. Thank you for clarifying it. My reasons for "sort of" disputing your initial statement, which was
Quote:
A python that maxes out arund 10' for the most part won't be an escape artist and is easy to find when they do find a way out(and most of them do).
include:
the adult size of a snake has nothing to do with its ability to get out of an enclosure at any time in its life, except (as you noted) that a larger adult is stronger and can use that strength. MY initial thought when I read your statement was not of an adult anything...my mind went to a juvenile (of any species that would max out at 10 ft). (I say this mainly to show the way different people think in different ways)

Also, the comment about most of them do find a way out, is less reflective on the snake than the keeper. Sure, we have all gotten lazy at times, but we can't blame the snake because we didn't secure things.
One of my lazy moments - I had an approximately 8-9ft retic fairly early in my history. I got lazy, didn't properly secure his cage and he got out. After a quick search, I decided that he was not in the room (fairly new construction house, no holes or gaps) - that meant that he had to have gone under the door, which seemed to have a gap of just under about 3/4 of an inch. Lesson numbers one and two: Where there's a will, there's a way; and carpet can be compressed. It didn't make a much larger space, but he did it. Upon coming back out of the room, my eyes settled on the washing machine. The lid was up. I checked inside - empty. I looked behind, under, and on both sides of the machines, then returned to the washer with a flashlight. Sure enough, there he was...wedged in between the washer tub and the outer walls of the machine. It was a great hiding spot; and if I had been less thorough, who knows how long it might have taken him to resurface.

Old 04-09-2006, 08:16 PM   #22
Jake The Snake
I don't keep anything that gets huge. My biggest I have now is ruby. My rtb at about 4'. I think finding her would be a pretty easy task. When we get out house finished, I have a room for animals so I will make sure I never have a snake leave the room without me knowing, door sweeps, dutch style doors, screened in vents, ect. The only one I would worry about getting out is my leos, I have under estimated their ability to jump and climb and learned my leason.

Old 06-10-2006, 10:37 AM   #23
scalesnstuff
6 to 10 feet

Although we do have burms and retics I prefer the 6 - 10 feet. I also have kids that I need to worry about.

Old 06-21-2006, 04:26 PM   #24
akaangela
I love to look at the larger pythons but I like my balls (that sounds bad LOL). I have never had a large 10+ snake but if I had room I would. As far as getting out I have had experence with that. Remember never fall asleep while holding your snake (DUUU). Of course my smallest is 2ft and I fell asleep holding her and when I woke up she was, of course gone, It took me 3 days to find her, and basicly I just laid things around on shelves and waited to see what was nocked off and it was not too hard to find her. Big boy got out, he is a 4ft ball, and it took us only 10 minutes to find him but 20 minutes to get him out of where he had lodged himself.

Old 07-22-2006, 01:14 AM   #25
NorthernRegius.com
I like a snake that is easy for one person to handle & I want a snake that I can hold throughout it's lifetime. That's why I like the 6-10ft range best, it's a nice size yet not too big for a solitary keeper.

Old 10-29-2006, 10:33 PM   #26
Schlyne
I like the 6 to 10 ft range myself, but I really prefer around 8 feet and under. I'm a fairly short woman, and I just don't feel comfortable working with anything over 8 feet by myself.

Old 11-20-2006, 06:21 PM   #27
garweft
Ok so I actually had to think about this for a second. I answered 6' and under for a few reasons. I limit my self to snakes under 8-10' mostly due to cage size and feeding. However I don't really keep any of the pythons in the 6-10' range, only boas. I have eyed up a few moderate sized pythons, but my next pythons on my wish list are both under 6'.

Old 11-28-2006, 04:08 AM   #28
darkbloodwyvern
I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlyne
I like the 6 to 10 ft range myself, but I really prefer around 8 feet and under. I'm a fairly short woman, and I just don't feel comfortable working with anything over 8 feet by myself.
I chose under 6', mostly due to practicality.

I am not terribly strong, so i wouldn't want to have to have a partner to handle my snakes. I also may end up moving a bit, and the smaller the animal, the more likely i can keep it in my next apartment I just don't have any friends i could have help me with a larger snake, but if i did get anything that would get bigger than 7' I would want something thinner.
On that note, what are the maximum sizes for bloods and white lips? I am really liking those two species as my "intermediate species" if i am still herping in a few years...

Old 12-01-2006, 03:25 PM   #29
Petboy15
definately 6-10, and balls. But their girth makes them feel bigger. Honestly, a little corn snake is so small and boring. A 20ft retic is cool, but I mean comeon, too much. 6-10's are great, you can handle by yourself(usually) they are big enought to be impressive yet not "dangerous" and still manageable.

Old 12-01-2006, 09:50 PM   #30
Paul Kent
I used to think having this HUGE snake would be real cool when I was younger.... and then I added up the feeding bill, and the danger factor, and the caging expenses, and the daily wrestling match, and the NEW BORN (at the time), and came to the conclusion that it was time to down size. 6-10' is definately the most impresive, yet comfortable size. As much as I love the biggies, I would say that for most situations a 6-10' is just about right.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!