Snake Farm in texas........ - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 07-29-2005, 06:51 PM   #1
Zoo Supply
Snake Farm in texas........

Hey guys, don't really know if this should go in the boi or here, so since I am not sure I will post this here.
A bit upset over a picture on the link below. A place called the "snake farm" in texas has a picture on their croc page. It shows a keeper feeding a salty with the public in a dangerous spot. I thought at first that they may have been back up keepers but then if you look closely there is a child in a stroller. I work crocs every day, And I have NEVER done anything like this. there is NO OUT at all for this keeper, he is screwed and everyone there is screwed if this croc wants out. Dumb.....Plain and simple....Dumb
Here is the link:
Snake Farm croc link

Would be nice to have someone from their organization come on here and try to justify this.
TOM

Old 07-29-2005, 07:02 PM   #2
Chris@TSE
you're looking at the photo wrong. there are TWO fences. the public behind one, the staff behind the other, and the salties on the firthest side.

Old 07-29-2005, 07:02 PM   #3
Chris@TSE
furthest*...

but yes, those fences do look a bit small nonetheless.

Old 07-29-2005, 07:05 PM   #4
Zoo Supply
talking about the bottom picture

Talking about the bottom picture..... where the croc has its head stuck out a door and is being hand fed.
TOM

Old 07-29-2005, 07:07 PM   #5
Chris@TSE
oh wow, didn't even see that one. wow...... talk about reckless....

Old 07-29-2005, 07:51 PM   #6
starwarsdad
I visited there this past spring. The place was pretty neat. A bit "dumpy", but the animals seemed well cared for. I did not see a feeding demo, but did get to watch the owner mow the grass in the croc enclosure. He seemed a bit too comfortable in there to me. I did not see anything dangerous like the picture on the site though.

Old 07-29-2005, 07:56 PM   #7
KelliH
I've been there and will never go back. I cried when I saw the primates there. Some of them lived in small concrete enclosures with nothing but an empty tire to play with.

Old 07-29-2005, 08:10 PM   #8
Jim O
I agree. Very reckless.

Old 09-09-2005, 10:19 PM   #9
g&mgeckos
I will say this I lived in New Braunfels most of my life. When I was little my Grandfather would take me to the Snake Farm on a regular basis (like 30 years ago). As I got older and really started getting in to reptiles I went back there. I was so disappointed in the shape of things it was really ran down. Some of the animals look in very poor shape. I didn't go back for serveral years. Only then because I read a write up in the paper about the Snake Farm being sold. Thats when I met John (the new owner) for the first time. He seemed very energetic and made some great changes to the place(about 10 years ago). It really improved alot. I even purchased some animals from him. It as been a while since I have been there (about 5 years) but I always have had a pretty high opion of John and what he had done with the stituation he got into. Today when I saw these pictures it really saden me to see it digress like this. Very sad and very risky.

Old 09-28-2005, 11:39 PM   #10
thomas davis
has anyone let the snake farm know of this thread??? or is everyone including the person that started this thread just gonna pass judgement on a pic?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!