Blocked glottis on snake -any advice urgently welcome - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:44 PM   #21
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
Has anyone ever tried, or even heard of, fogging with disinfectant or steaming with Vapour Rub/ Eucalyptus? I swear there are advocates of this out there on the interwebs, but I don't want to experiment blindly....
I have but have also read that Vapo Rub/Eucalyptus are not recommended for reptiles. You could just use plain water. If you've ever had a cold and taken a hot shower then you know how the steam softens things up so it's easier to clear the crud out of your sinuses. Basically it gives the snake the same kind of relief, though it just treats the symptom and doesn't cure the illness if the snake has an RI.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:38 PM   #22
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
I have but have also read that Vapo Rub/Eucalyptus are not recommended for reptiles. You could just use plain water. If you've ever had a cold and taken a hot shower then you know how the steam softens things up so it's easier to clear the crud out of your sinuses. Basically it gives the snake the same kind of relief, though it just treats the symptom and doesn't cure the illness if the snake has an RI.
Thanks Melinda, the online vet also suggested just a plain water steam without adding anything, but as it's currently 30oC / 84oF, and thundering (100% humid) I think just the air will do it.

I liked the idea of the Vapour Rub, as I can get it here, and it's relatively non-invasive, but I was hesitant to do it unless someone here had a direct (successful) experience of it.

It's funny what turns upon the ol' interwebs isn't it?

Old 11-15-2017, 10:12 PM   #23
Helenthereef
So, quick update, it's all like it never happened - I've had him under close observation for 5 days and he seems 100% normal, so I've put him back in his home tank.

I'm still a bit uneasy, but from what I read on here sometimes an RI can be
cleared up just by an increase in temps, right? It is a very warm week at the beginning of our summer right now, so maybe it just hit the sweet spot? Who knows.

Still not totally happy, but am going to try feeding him this weekend and see how it goes.

Thanks for helping me talk it out!

Old 12-08-2017, 06:51 PM   #24
Helenthereef
How to give IM injection?

3 weeks later and he's alive but not thriving. Found a vet with injectable Baytril, but no reptile experience. Can anyone please tell me the exact location that's best to give an IM injection? I'm assuming alongside the spine, but anywhere in particular? Thanks

Old 12-08-2017, 06:52 PM   #25
Helenthereef
How to give IM injection?

He ate a small meal a week ago, but struggled, and wouldn't take a second. Now he's lethargic. Going to the (non-reptile) vet on Monday.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:09 PM   #26
AbsoluteApril
Injections in the front 1/3 of the snake, yes more on the side of spine along the back muscle. hold needle at angle to slide it between scales, not like straight in. Usually a good idea to put your finger on spot after withdrawing needle for a moment to ensure meds don't follow it out.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:55 PM   #27
Helenthereef
Thanks so much April, we are off to the vet on Monday, will be a new experience for all of us!

Old 12-11-2017, 05:29 PM   #28
Helenthereef
Baytril dosage

Well, I sucessfully gave my first Baytril injection yesterday at the vet's office, surrounded by a fascinated vet and 3 technicians, none of whom had even touched a snake before. (We are taking some of the healthy ones in on Saturday to run a handling session for them).

He seems fine this morning - it's very strange, he literally went for weeks between symptoms, but when he is having a problem it's dramatic and loud wheezing, and an obvious physical struggle to breathe in, with his mouth wide open. I can literally feel his lungs vibrating when he's struggling. His glottis was visibly open during one bout, though, so that's something.

For future information if anyone's in the same position, the dosage the vet and I agreed on is 5 mg Baytril / 1 kg snake, so as he weighs currently 2.6 kg, he needs (5 x 2.6) 13 mg of Baytril. (If it was to be given orally, it would be twice that).

Baytril comes in different strength liquids - my vet has 50 mg/ml (= 10 mg / 0.2 ml, or 1 mg / 0.02 ml), so to get the 13 mg, we need (13 x 0.02) 0.26 ml of the Baytril solution.

Because neat Baytril can cause cell death at the injection site, we are diluting this 50/50 with sterile saline, so we draw up 0.26 ml Baytril, then 0.25 ml saline, and let them mix in the syringe before injection of the total 0.5 ml.

So now it's just fingers crossed, I'm giving injections every 2 days for the next 4 weeks.

Thanks again for all help offered, this is the true value of these forums for me, and I really appreciate it.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:09 PM   #29
Helenthereef
He ate!

Quick update, 1 week into giving Baytril injections every 2 days, and he ate 3 small pieces of chicken wing yesterday.

I know we're not out of the woods yet, but it's such a good sign - he was moving around and tongue flicking as normal. No further wheezing or gaping. I am hopeful we are on the right track.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:37 PM   #30
bcr229
Nice! I would keep the meals smaller than normal for a little while unless he truly needs the nourishment as abx can be hard on a snake's liver and kidneys.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!