getting " envenomated " can get you ........ - Page 9 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-02-2006, 01:51 PM   #81
hhmoore
Thank you, Scott.

Old 03-02-2006, 05:59 PM   #82
crotalusadamanteus
I was totally unaware of the importing for these events. I have attended one, it was in Clearwater, TX. and I was told that they were all caught in the general area of the event. (By that I mean the Panhandle, Oklahoma, you get it) Interesting to know this. Thanks.
At that event however, thee were several bites. Seeing dimwits get bit, I must admit, was the highlight of the show. Of course, I wasn't as nice back then as i am now. LOL

Rick

Opps! Sweetwater, not Clearwater

Old 03-02-2006, 06:32 PM   #83
old guy
I know a guy

that hits the Waurika event that is definitely in Oklahoma and they collect definitely from Texas to bring the WDBs in to aid in the numbers. How many ? Let's say in my mind the long running Waurika event wouldn't have beans in WDBs if it wasn't for the Texas bring-ins. So I just wonder how many of the " other " Oklahoma roundups have the same scenario and since they are basically held within the same month, what a toll it must be for the WDBs in Texas. Now I also assume and have been told that some of these snakes that show up in these events are ?> hold overs <? from the previous year. I have wondered about the earlier events in the year like the Sweet Water one on how many snakes arrive at Oklahoma events later since my guy told me the Jaycees of these events ( several ) are buddies. Reason that my bud goes ? He does not attend the event itself but goes out with some of the Jaycees searching for the really BIG one to match his other big ones. He doesn't compete in a sense but does see numbers of snakes. I have NEVER ever known him to lie to me on how the people that goes out ( or vice-versa ) and collects that DOES NOT use gasoline or other methods of the like while he is with them. He does admit that he hears of gas being used around but all the times he has gone there are just way to many snakes out. Maybe the gas is used earlier in the year for den sites you think ?

Old 03-02-2006, 06:35 PM   #84
crotalusadamanteus
Well, i just got an email from BW Smith that concurs with Your story Vinny. Except for the south of some line. He says actually it's being notice more wide spread in C. adamanteus. I asked Him in case Dr. Fry or Brint Spencer couldn't respond in a timely manner.
I know Him to be pretty knowledgable and up to date also. I trust His knowledge.

A BIG APPOLOGY
for doubting your adamanteus bite. I find it hard to do so now.

Rick

Old 03-02-2006, 06:50 PM   #85
Vinny D
no im not related to john kerry very funny ha ha ha!!! but the sacking contest is a different part with different ppl i beleve. but i have already talked to Brint ad the pa fish and boad commition about bannging the roundup's. so im doing my part in the conservation of whats left of pa's beautiful hot's. and im not going to do it again. plus i dont think their going to have 1 anyway. i read something in the papper saying that that was the first and last. here in lancaster county.

Old 03-02-2006, 07:17 PM   #86
reptilebreeder
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus
Well, i just got an email from BW Smith that concurs with Your story Vinny. Except for the south of some line. He says actually it's being notice more wide spread in C. adamanteus. I asked Him in case Dr. Fry or Brint Spencer couldn't respond in a timely manner.
I know Him to be pretty knowledgable and up to date also. I trust His knowledge.

A BIG APPOLOGY
for doubting your adamanteus bite. I find it hard to do so now.

Rick
I don't know BW Smith, nor what he said specifically as it relates to this, but I still find it hard to believe that some EDB have so much neurotoxin, and apparently no hematoxin, as to cause a bite virtually indistiguishable from a snake that is "really" neurotoxic.

Old 03-02-2006, 08:39 PM   #87
hhmoore
I don't know him personally, but have read many of his posts on various forums. He's a hothead (not the short-tempered angry type, lol), and I have to agree that he knows his stuff and seems to be pretty "up" on things. He is also the author of Venomous Snakes in Captivity.
Not knowing the context of the email/pm conversations that took place with Rick, I will refrain from judgement. I'd be interested in hearing BW's response, particularly to the extent of neurotoxic response.

Old 03-02-2006, 09:34 PM   #88
crotalusadamanteus
Well, I don't know why He wouldn't mind putting his two cents in here. He is a member here and many other forums. Don't know how busy He is right now, but I will ask Him. Now Him I would refer to as knowing his stuff. Do you have the book HH? I passed only because i had other literature to buy at the time.

As for the email, I pretty much reframed from mentioning fauna, or Vinny and merely asked if he has heard of any isolated population of adamanteus in South florida, that have "primarily" neurotoxic properties in their venom.... That should be pretty close to a sumation of my question.

"C adamanteus that carry a large concentration of neurotoxins is fairly
widespread. I personally witnessed one envenomation from a 4' female
that was caught in South GA. Aside from a significant amount of edema,
every symptom was neurotoxic. From speaking to others, this is a common
occurrence. It seems that adamanteus is following suit with C h
atricaudatus in basically "reconfiguring" their venom load. In fact, I
have seen amazingly few adamanteus envenomations in recent years that
have necrosis. I can't think of any specific papers off the top of my
head regarding adamanteus specifically, but there is no doubt that high
concentrations of neurotoxins are common, if not the norm."

His response shocked Me to be honest. Not just yes, but fairly wide spread, and more than one species. Seems to Me perhaps a little "adaptation" or "evolution" is in the process. ?? I was fairly surprised back when i learned of C.v. helleri possessing neurotoxins. Now two more. I am anxious to here from Dr. Fry. Now I feel outdated and have to do some research. HA HA

Rick

Old 03-02-2006, 09:55 PM   #89
hhmoore
I don't have the book, but for 1 simple reason. I haven't really kept hots for a few years now...but the desire is still there. It wouldn't take much to push me over the edge, and a good book would likely be just enough. Then I would have to deal with the state again - though I will admit that they were not a problem when I had my venomous license in the past. I wonder how much that will have changed, with the "dangerous animal" legislation that went into effect last year. The thing is, I would have to smuggle them into the house...my wife has been great, but I don't think she would go for that (she worries too much about me...even scolds me for doing wheelies and going too fast through turns)

Old 03-02-2006, 10:00 PM   #90
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
The thing is, I would have to smuggle them into the house...my wife has been great, but I don't think she would go for that (she worries too much about me...even scolds me for doing wheelies and going too fast through turns)
HA HA HA Yeah sometimes they are just no fun at all.

Rick

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!