Let's Discuss: Field Herping! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-25-2005, 07:15 PM   #11
Rattlesnake
It irritates me when people move out into the country-side that don't have the common sense about where to live; and end up destroying the environment around them.

Old 05-26-2005, 03:04 PM   #12
docjosh
Hmm...all thats good..but back to Tanith's topic...

To get back on the thread topic, I've not been able to get out into the field as much as I usually like to, but I have seen a few adorable little hots so far this year. Primarily I have seen C. atrox, A.c.laticinctus, A.c.pictigaster, one amazing baby C. horridus, and several very nice C.m.molossus. I hope to tap into some good S.m.streckeri spots this weekend, and as usual, will get out at least a couple more times to hopefully spot some leps. Chances are the year will be dominated with atrox, broadbandeds, and viridis, but hey, is there any way to beat a day that you find a buzztail?

As far as the field collecting for the purpose of sale, I have mixed emotions. In my younger days I was foolish enough to sell the occasional broadbanded or atrox (as allowed by law and my permits, of course), but I have reached a point where I can no longer do so with a clear conscience. I do occasionally collect for my personal collection, but I do so strictly within the confines of our local game laws here in Texas, and am quite selective about what I keep, and what I photograph and release. As for breeding them to sell offspring, I don't see a problem with that per se, however, I have noticed I am becoming more and more reluctant to desire producing any offspring, given the surplus of reptiles already available, and my own inability to insure any offspring I might sell will receive the best possible husbandry conditions.

Breeding WC specimens, however, is not strictly done with the hopes of selling the offspring. Many times when I have offspring I simply trade with other friends for offspring they have produced. Primarily this is done for locality-specific aspects of my collection, and as a way for my fellow herpers and myself to add to our respective collections without removing more animals from the field. Obviously I am ok with that aspect of breeding WC specimens for that purpose...not to mention, having baby reptiles produced in your own facility is just fun.

Thats my $.02, take it for what you will.

Happy Herpin'

Old 06-11-2005, 10:31 AM   #13
Rattlesnake
I mean your " ecological and natural balance " is probably far more critical by wiping out the entire den site by this than collecting a few , ( if one or it doesn't get out of hand ). Not to mention many other species of wildlife including the feed prey of the den site

Ecological and natural balance is upset by even removing a single individual or destroying the entire den site. Have you ever taken an ecology course?

Old 06-11-2005, 12:03 PM   #14
old guy
If you all have been following the news.......

and even though it's my home state, it has made news across the nation. Lenexa Kansas : rattlers ( timbers ) are being sited all over a place of homes and housing divisions. I KNOW of that EXACT place that was cemented and developed over with the timber dens thought to have been cemented and or leveled out/destroyed ! NOT ! But it has taken some years for the old den occupants to move back in if they are in fact trying to find the original den sites. This area was RAW country with MULTIPLE den sites back about 15-20 years ago and was particularly depressing to me when I saw the habitat and destructing going on to build this condo/housing community. I said then that all the snakes would NOT be unclosed or destroyed with the leaving of rocky areas and some trees for the natural looking aesthetics for home/condo buyers. I say GOOD that these snakes are causing problems for the residents BUT BAD for the snakes as to probably being killed upon seeing them by whom ever. Mind you that several of us tried to block the building of this place or a chance to remove what we could ( it could of been wild life agency as well ) find but was not allowed to even with a delay on the builders of building. Also keep in mind that the timber rattlesnake is on the SINC list of Kansas and was at this time as well.

Old 06-25-2005, 01:08 AM   #15
Amos
Angry Wow that...

suprised me to hear that one Mike.I always heard that Kansas F&G were very protective of our Timbers and their den sites.My Sister lives in Iola and she told me that F&G recently had to move a den due to its very close proximity to a public soccer field.I always hate to se habitat destruction let alone a protected species!....Oh well their just snakes I know that they are protected here and we need a permit to keep them.F&G told me to photograph all I like but DONT TOUCH.They were very helpful and friendly but they seemed to have a genuine care for that species(maybe one officers view?) Anyway hope all is well in E- town and A hardy hello to MSTT.I havent seen you around many forums lately.I hope all is well with you and your slithery loved ones.

Happy herping and be safe

Trey Small

Old 07-04-2005, 04:38 AM   #16
Tim Cole
Breeding purposes..

I don't have a problem with someone that collects a few select from the wild to breed and sell the offspring. This year I have seen quite a few atrox, scuts, mollosus, pictagaster, and corals.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!