This may be Long but It must be said... - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-02-2005, 02:20 PM   #11
jsrocket
Well, at least he admits his mistakes, and has "seen the light". He's trying to tell his story so others won't make the same mistakes. I think there is some redeeming value in that.

Old 11-02-2005, 02:21 PM   #12
Chris@TSE
yes, of course....its just......... wow........ lol

Old 11-02-2005, 02:23 PM   #13
jsrocket
Agreed

Old 11-03-2005, 03:05 PM   #14
bud mierkey
Unhappy hots and tupperware

chris@tse wrote-
"I firmly believe anyone found to keep hots as you described should be arrested, fined, and jailed for a considerable amount of time and prohibited from keeping any animal, venomous or not, goldfish or python, ever again."

chris ,
For your information justin is one of many hot keepers he sounds no different than 90% of the people keeping hots now.
Many guys use rubbermaids we all could name a few.
There are no laws broken they get inspected pass and carry on biz as normal.
I might agree to a fine. But jail time arrested , haha, gold fish ha ha,python ever again very very funny.
I know you meant well but be realistic ok.
I recommend a good shift box with a locking door.
also a strong lockable safe cage.
using the shift box you will never come into a close call situation.
Maybe I will post pics and instructions for keeping hots.
some people just might not know.

Old 11-04-2005, 01:25 AM   #15
LakesideBoas
That is why...

I am somewhat thankful for the "hot" keeping laws in this county. You must have suitable caging and facilities for your animals, suffer through a home, facility and safety inspection before you can even legally purchase an animal or permits will not be approved. Yes, the permit process is stringent, but it keeps people from learning with their lives and/or the lives of their children or pets.

I know, more restrictions to our right to keep our strange pets, but in this instance I think the laws, for this county anyways, are set up quite effectively and keep the "average idiot" from purchasing a fascinating and beautiful species of animal just to be "COOL".

Right now I can go over to a friend's house and watch his Gabby grow. She is in a huge, triple locked, plywood and safety glass, natural viv. I asked my friend about all the locks and he told me that while he's unlocking them he is reminded of why they are there, so he never gets too lax with her. No, the permit process only requires one lock, he added the others. Overkill, perhaps, but with a Gabby, probably effective!

Watching her has made me decide to wait a bit before I request a permit. She's beautiful, awesome in fact, she is a living example of the astounding diversity of this planet...and I respect her defenses. Someday I will get an eyelash viper, but until I feel I'm ready I can relish my time with "Muffin"...Yes, her name is Muffin...don't ask me why!

Edit: Just to clarify, Muffin is never out of her cage when I am present. I can see her and she can see me, but that is all.

Old 01-02-2006, 11:57 PM   #16
U1SICKBOY
Thumbs up

Justin, I just finished reading your original post. That has to be one of the best posts on the subject of keeping venomus reptiles I have ever read, I can only hope that everyone will take the time to read it......Hats off to you!!

Old 03-05-2006, 10:03 PM   #17
Vinny D
Jusitn, when i read your post it made me think alout about me. i dont keep my hots in ribbermaid's but i have touched a gabby that could have struck at anytime. im not sure if you read about my envenomations or not. but i have learned that life is more presious than to die from a snake bite, which i almost did 2 times. im not proud of it and i have learned from my mistakes. i dont keep hots in my house right now and im not sure if i will in the future. i just know that i want to work with hot's in a zoo insted of my house, i want to edcuate people who are thinking about buying their first hot to know how dangerous they are and what could happen if they were to be bit. but great post i know it made everyone that read it that keeps hot's think.. thanks

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!