Breeding venomous - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-03-2003, 08:24 AM   #1
Blackwater Reptiles
Breeding venomous

I'm interested in a discussion about breeding venomous. I figured I'd break the ice on this board by posting *something.*

I'm working with Amelanistic C. atrox, as well as (normal)Western Masassaugas, Timber rattlesnakes, Canebrakes, Great Basin Rattlers, cottonmouths, Malayan pit vipers, and several other venomous species....

Let's start a positive trend...

Tom

Old 01-04-2003, 05:38 PM   #2
KDAPReptiles
Great choice

That's a good selection. Id love to see a few pics. Also, I was under the impression Canes were now considered Timbers, again.
Xain

Old 01-12-2003, 10:03 PM   #3
NocturnalNature
I also live in Va. (near Roanoke). What part are you located in?
I currently work with Gilas (Cinctum and Suspectum) and am looking into acquiring a trio of Red Pygmy Rattlesnakes.
Drop me an email any time if you feel like shooting the bull or are interested in getting together for a herping trip this season.
I know of several places which hold Timbers and am always looking fo new denning sites or places to view reptiles and amphibians(For photography purposes only).

Old 01-13-2003, 11:15 AM   #4
Blackwater Reptiles
To Xain...

Timbers and Canebrakes are considered the same species. To me there are considerable differences, that I won't get into here, that give me enough reason to speak of the two in seperate terms....

To Jackie....

I'd be happy to take you to several of the places I go to "hunt" local species on the East Coast.... I live South and East of Richmond....

Tom

Old 01-15-2003, 10:25 AM   #5
Rob Hill/Geckos Anonymous
Tom,

I wholeheartedly agree with you on Timbers and Canebrakes being different snakes from one another. I have worked with both and there are definitely differences.

I currently am only working with our GA native Southern and Northern Coppers and Eastern Cottonmouths(native hot species are the only ones we are allowed to keep here), but am looking to acquire at least one specimen of every native venomous to our state for my collection and would eventually like to breed one or two of the species(with the exception of Corals). I had one of my coppers give birth back in 2001 a couple months after getting her, and it was really cool and I'd like the opportunity to induce actual captive breeding.

It would be great to see pics of everyone's hots posted up. I will take some new photos and post them here as soon as I can.

Cheers!

Old 01-15-2003, 01:52 PM   #6
NocturnalNature
This past year while out road cruising I found a Timber Rattlesnake with very interesting markings. It had the rusty red stripe completely running down its back. However it lacked the stripe behind the eyes which is typically found in Canebreaks.
All of the Timber Rattlesnakes I have encountered up until this one was very dark in color and did not have such distinct markings.
I would like to email a few pictures to someone in this discussion and see if they have seen a Timber before with this type of coloration/markings.
Any volunteers?
Jackie Lapradd

Old 01-15-2003, 01:55 PM   #7
Jackie,

you're definitely welcome to e-mail them to me. gex_anon@hotmail.com

Old 01-15-2003, 02:30 PM   #8
NocturnalNature
Rob,
I tried emailing the pictures but received an email stating that there was an error with your address.
This is the second time this has happened when trying to email someone with a "hotmail" address. Any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong?
Thanks
Jackie Lapradd

Old 01-15-2003, 02:32 PM   #9
perhaps your file size is too big? That is usually the problem with hotmail accounts, they only hold and accept so much.

Are you trying to send several pictures or just one or two? Try sending only one and see what happens.

Old 01-15-2003, 02:43 PM   #10
Blackwater Reptiles
Timbers and such

Hi Rob,

There certainly doesn't seem to be any mystery associated with breeding most of the "native" species of venomous. I think that the factor of being able to buy wild collected animals so cheaply, has prevented the captive breeding of many native species. Note how quickly amelanistic C. atrox and C. viridis were bred when $$$ were factored into the equation. You won't have any trouble breeding anything you can keep in your home state, and I bet that if you set your mind to breeding those coral snakes you would be a success at that too...

Jackie,

I'd be very happy to look at any snake pictures you may have. I do not consider myself to be an expert at Timber/canebrake identification, but I have looked at one or two. It might be more advantageous if you could post the pictures here for comments? If you prefer to email them, please include me on distribution: blackpak@yahoo.com I'll be happy to comment.....

I can say this... of the Timber Rattlesnakes that I have seen from Virginia, there do not appear to be many colors to choose from. Basic black or yellow is about all you get. I have seen some from West Virginia (and it puzzles me as to why there aren't more like this in Virginia.... probably are and I haven't seen them) that are what I call chocolate phase.... they look like the name implies.... I have one yellow, one black and one chocolate presently..... They're headed to a fellow, West of the Mississippi... in two weeks. I'm primarily interested in "Coastal" phase (aka Canebrakes) and BIG ones at that.... I have 2 males and am planning on adding three females in the spring.

Like Rob, I plan to keep a few native animals for breeding. As you more than likely know (for those who don't) it is not legal to sell native species here in Virginia without special permits.... this includes Kingsnakes and cornsnakes too folks..... I have looked into permits, and the only available permits do not include venomous species..... so, I can breed all I want, but I can have only five (legally) in possession..... so all babies have to be released into the wild or given away. I can't even trade them for other animals (legally), but my neighbor can run over as many as he wants to with his car, lawnmower or go cart, and he can chop them up by the gross with his garden hoe.... something is wrong with this picture.... Same thing with turtles, lizards, amphibians, you name it.....

I also like several non-lethal (yeah, I know the all *can* kill you) non-indigenous venomous species.... some of the tree snakes, particularly T. hageni (Hagen's tree viper) appeal to me because they are egg laying..... and they look just like Green Tree pythons.....

Thanks to both of you for replying to the thread BTW..... this is a refreshing change to the trolls and insults typical of an internet discussion....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!