Anyone see this ad on KS???? - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-08-2004, 12:42 AM   #51
snakegetters
I didn't realize he was a minor. Okay, call off the legal dogs on the kid, but if this veterinarian does exist then the local regulatory boards need to have a chat with him.

I really cannot see a veterinary professional allowing a 15 year old to assist in surgeries on venomous snakes. If there really is a vet doing that, he is risking extremely serious consequences. If the kid was bitten, that would pretty much be it for the vet's career. If the animal died and the owner pursued a legal case for negligence, same story. I'm inclined to believe that the vet doesn't exist.

Understand that venomoid surgery is very serious and invasive, a lot worse than a root canal in a human. Ever had major dental work done? Bet it hurt, even if the dentist gave you pain relief medication. Imagine how much it would hurt if somebody did it with a razor blade and no pain medication or anesthesia. That's how most snakes get venomoided.

So yeah, we get pretty upset when people come on the forums talking about how easy it is to do this horrible thing to a snake because they don't want to bother learning how to care for it properly. Hopefully a lesson will have been learned here about how responsible reptile keepers regard venomoiders.

Old 10-08-2004, 07:35 AM   #52
Hognose_311
woah..... truthfuly...this has changed alot of things that i think..but i did go get a book about legal procedures, and venomoid surgery, etc.... In this last 50 pages or so...alot have people made me think about this stuff...so i kind of want to end this post... but half of the stuff you told me i had NO IDEA... Truthfully i will consider working back up to venomous snakes with other somewhat venomous...but i guess everyone here probably does know alot more than me, i've only kept snakes for about five years..but i just want everyone to calm down and give me some advice if that is what you people would rather me do.....sorry....

Old 10-08-2004, 10:36 AM   #53
Rockford
Hey Mike-

When I was your age I knew a well known Herpetologist that kept Venomoids. I visited him at his house and was in "awe" of his collection that you could "handle". During my visit I reached into a cage containing a 5' Atrox and handled him. The feeling I got from the snake was amazing and when I got home that's all I could think about. I wanted a venomoid in the worst way!

I ended up doing a little research and talked to some folks in my Herp Society that I had looked up to and decided that I didn't want a venomoid anymore. The "feeling" I got when holding that snake was at it's expense. There is no need for that animal to suffer and go through what he went through. I have been fascinated with Crotalus since I was a kid and I have never kept a single one for a reason.That reason not being set-up properly.

There are a few websites you should check out and learn as much as you can. If you have an interest in Hot animals then I would encourage you to move forth and become a responsible and respectful keeper.

Without sounding too cheesy.....Hopefully you will continue to learn and do what's right. There are alot of kooks out there in this hobby. You still have a chance not to be one of them.

Take it easy-

BThacker

Old 10-08-2004, 11:40 AM   #54
psilocybe
Michael,

First off, I'd like to apologize for the animosity exhibited in most of my posts. In retrospect I was a bit harsh. But I hope this shows you how this strongly this subject is felt about in the responsible venomous community. If you come to venomous keepers' board and start boasting about having snakes voided, you are gonna get attacked, big time. I'd venture to say that there are ZERO provoiders who regularly frequent this forum board for just that reason.

What can I say about the surgery that hasn't been said? Well, nothing. There are well over 50 replies to this thread, and 90% have to do with venomoids. Do yourself a favor and read over some of them.

Just remember the whole reason you got into keeping snakes: a love for the animal. How can you love something yet subject it to pain, suffering, and possible death? You can't. People who keep venomoids are impatient, greedy, uncompassionate people, and if you want to get any respect in the venomous community, or even the responsible herp keeping community in general, you'd do best by staying far, far away from being grouped with the voiders.

Anyway, I realize you're just a kid, and we all make mistakes, especially around your age. I know I have Here's you chance to redeem yourself...you might not be able to keep venomous right now, but so what, wait a while...it'll be worth it. You're young and have all the time in the world to enjoy this hobby, there is no need to rush in...get some real training, and when you finally get your first hot, you'll be proud that you are able to keep an animal like that intact and unharmed, and keep yourself safe in the process. Good luck.

Old 10-08-2004, 12:22 PM   #55
Hognose_311
Yesterday i got rid of my venomous snakes and gave them to a herpotologist that could monitor them for any problems, and i have read every post on this thread, and thats why im feeling this way about what you all have said to me.... I'm keeping my mangrove and hognoses and only mild venomous snakes though...and all my other non venomous, because i do love the hobby, ive never had the surgery done to any snake that is not REALLY venomous...such as my mangrove or hognoses, they are still the same way they were born, but im sorry...and i learned a lot.

Nobody was harsh on me....and i know why anyone was if they were harsh. but i don't know why that guy came on here talking about my last name...lol Anyway thank you for the "lesson". And i guess I will work my way back up to venomous snakes who will stay venomous....Thank You.

P.S.-I think this is the longest post ive ever seen. And if anyone wants to add me to their buddy list, i could use the help every once in a while....lol This is definitley the longest post ive ever caused also....:eek3:

Old 10-08-2004, 12:25 PM   #56
Hognose_311
Getting rid of

<-----him was definitley one of the most hardest things ive ever done...but what you all have said truthfully did make a difference...i never thought i would really take anyone's advice on a forum.....

I guess im not always right either.....

Old 10-08-2004, 12:36 PM   #57
psilocybe
Michael,

No one hear told you you had to get rid of the snakes, but if you felt you wanted to because of the information here, that is fine...we just want you to stop being involved in the purchasing or production of venomoids from here on out...

I think you've got a good head on your shoulders. With the proper training and maturity, you will make a fine hot keeper one day.

Old 10-08-2004, 12:39 PM   #58
Hognose_311
well i did feel that way, but after somone mentioned they could get hurt, even though now i realized i've already hurt them enough, that i think i should give them to someone who can monitor them to make sure nothing's wrong. but i will eventually get back into the venomous and learn how to do it the right way...thanks... No more non-venomous venomous snakes for me...lol sorry for any trouble i caused besides the trouble i caused on myself.

Old 10-08-2004, 12:45 PM   #59
Rockford
Good to see a thread go in a positive direction!!!!!

Old 10-08-2004, 12:50 PM   #60
Hognose_311
Thank you.

Well thats why im on here. and thank you for everything also BThacker....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!