Sculpture - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:09 PM   #1
phoenix-cry
Sculpture

Just thought I'd share some of the sculptures I've done/am working on. I recently discovered the wonder that is Apoxie Sculpt which is a two part self hardening epoxie clay. I'm on instagram at PhoenixCryNebulas for anyone interested in more art pics (taxidermy on there as well so be aware).

Blue-ringed Octopus in a copper box (work in progress):

Faux Bronze Octopus:

Bonsai Tortoise with crystal (work in progress):

Faux Bronze cheetah:

My pride and joy a large sculpture of Rick and Morty (great show):

Old 04-01-2017, 12:10 AM   #2
Insomniac101
Lauren, those are pretty cool!

Kathy

Old 04-01-2017, 01:06 AM   #3
Fangthane
I really like the very top one. It's kinda Cthulhu-esque. The cheetah's pretty snazzy, too.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:07 AM   #4
Slowpoke
Incredibly intricate work, exemplified in the first photo. Those little suckers are tiny in comparison to your fingernails. Fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

Old 04-01-2017, 02:12 PM   #5
snowgyre
Wow! Great artwork. I never heard of Apoxie sculpt before and I've always had an interest in clay modeling. Do you have any tips and/or tricks with working with the material? Pros and cons? I would love to learn more about it!

Old 04-02-2017, 08:59 AM   #6
phoenix-cry
Thanks guys! I've been having a lot of fun with it! Those little suction cups are tiny but they were fun to do.

Apoxie Sculpt is epic and so much better than Sculpty which is porous and breaks *so* easily, this stuff turns to steel. It's also non-toxic and water proof so you can use it in aquariums and reptile habitats.

It's a two part clay that you mix 50/50. The cure time is highly temp dependent. In a room about 65 degrees it takes 4-5 hours to cure completely, it is very wet and sticky for 30 mins, takes some form in 60 mines, accepts detail for another hour, then needs to be left alone. You can not really slow it down other than making it colder so you have to have a plan when you work with it. It sands very easily and smoothly. I do my work in stages to prevent it from curing on me while I'm working on detail. However it also sticks to itself very well so you can add new wet to dry clay. It smooths out nicely with water when wet and sand paper when dry.

If you put it in the oven at 250 for 5 mins it will harden like a rock (but becareful because it gets softer before it gets harder this way so you need to make sure the clay is supported to keep it from collapsing. If you take it hot out of the oven and pour cold running water over it you can get some cool bumpy patterns in it.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:24 AM   #7
phoenix-cry
I've been working on adding crystals to stuff with Apoxie as well.

This is a horse shoe with real quartz crystal:

And this creepy cute zombie octopus (can you tell I love octopus?):

Old 04-02-2017, 02:48 PM   #8
Mistyck
Those are awesome! Good job!

Old 04-03-2017, 04:17 PM   #9
phoenix-cry
Thanks!

Old 04-03-2017, 04:20 PM   #10
phoenix-cry
More octopus! These two are set in resin as 'water'.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!