Dragon hydration - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-16-2010, 11:57 PM   #1
Jack of all trades
Dragon hydration

I recently read a post claiming that dragons don't need a water bowl; any thoughts? The post was not here and I think it is BS just want some of your thoughts and any reference material.
Gary
Edit/Delete Message

Old 04-17-2010, 09:53 AM   #2
john_ny217
none of my dragons have water bowls. whether it is babies or adults.

in my experience, babies just seem to use it as a place to poop and most of my breeders will not even pay attention to it. However, I mist their greens and give them a bath at least 3-4 times a week so they are plenty hydrated.

I think most people do not use water bowls, but I could be wrong. I have never had an issue with dehydration.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:24 AM   #3
dragonluver83
I HATE water bowls and havent been using a "water dish" in the last three years. Dragons go to the bathroom in them, insects crawl in there when you feed the dragons. The substrate your using gets in the water dish. (if your using substrate).
BUT proper hydration is a must for a healthy dragon. Ever seen those dragons where there back looks wrinkly. Thats one sign of a under hydrated dragon.
The adults dont need as much water as the babies. My babies get water every other day. In the summer time here, it gets hot. So sometimes they get it every day. The ACTIONS of your dragons will tell you if they need more or less water.
Keeping on a steady hydration routine is important. I was reading in a thread somewhere about someone having a b. dragon and when it would drink it would almost drown itself. That is a SIGN of a under hydrated dragon. A dragon shouldn't want to commit suicide to get a drink of water. Maybe go as far as flatting out to lap up the water, but NOT bury its face in its water dish.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:36 PM   #4
Jack of all trades
I should have been more specific. Dragons don't need water at all. No Baths or misting. All the water comes from their food.
Gary

Old 04-29-2010, 11:40 PM   #5
dragonluver83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of all trades View Post
I should have been more specific. Dragons don't need water at all. No Baths or misting. All the water comes from their food.
Gary
What?
Jack of all trades, master of none???

A dragon cannot stay properly hydrated without a proper water source. Especially gravid females. I think you have alot to learn. they dont require a water dish but to say that they dont need water at all its in there food, is well......

Old 04-30-2010, 10:38 PM   #6
Iguanachic
Hmmm...that's quite a theory. A dragon who never needed water would be an interesting new morph. I do give my girl and any dragons I've owned in the past a shallow water bowl but Tom is right it gets messy and needs to be scrubbed daily. Because it's only her I have time and patience for it. She is also misted a few times a week much to her dismay and gets baths every few days. I've actually never really seen her drink from her bowl but she does love to chase her crickets through it!

Old 04-30-2010, 10:45 PM   #7
dragonluver83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iguanachic View Post
I've actually never really seen her drink from her bowl but she does love to chase her crickets through it!
If you go to a reptile/fish store and get a little water pump. for a fish tank. and get a black insert that allows it to blows bubbles i swear, the dragon will look down and start lapping up the water. sometimes the bury there head under the water when there alittle dehydrated! Its what i use and it works everytime!

Old 05-01-2010, 11:33 AM   #8
Jack of all trades
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonluver83 View Post
What?

A dragon cannot stay properly hydrated without a proper water source. Especially gravid females. I think you have alot to learn. they dont require a water dish but to say that they dont need water at all its in there food, is well......
I really don't think you read the original post correctly. I have read this stated on another forum. It was referencing their natural habitat and how that should carry over to captive care. I didn't agree and that is why I threw it up on here to see if I was misinformed. My dragons get bathed, misted, and I do keep a water bowl which they drink from also. I am thinking you may have a lot to learn in your spelling and reading comprehension skills. I think you read my second post on here without referencing the rest of the thread. It is people like you that keep the knowledgeable people away from these forums. I would suggest slowing down and actually know what you are responding to.
Gary

Old 05-01-2010, 11:36 AM   #9
Jack of all trades
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonluver83 View Post
What?

I really don't think you read the original post correctly. I have read this stated on another forum. It was referencing their natural habitat and how that should carry over to captive care. I didn't agree and that is why I threw it up on here to see if I was misinformed. My dragons get bathed, misted, and I do keep a water bowl which they drink from also. I am thinking you may have a lot to learn in your spelling and reading comprehension skills. I think you read my second post on here without referencing the rest of the thread. It is people like you that keep the knowledgeable people away from these forums. I would suggest slowing down and actually know what you are responding to.
Gary
This is what I originally posted.

I recently read a post claiming that dragons don't need a water bowl; any thoughts? The post was not here and I think it is BS just want some of your thoughts and any reference material.
Gary

Old 05-01-2010, 02:04 PM   #10
dragonluver83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of all trades;932338[U
]I should have been more specific.[/u] Dragons don't need water at all. No Baths or misting. All the water comes from their food.
Gary
Quote:
I really don't think you read the original post correctly.
Actually i did read the original post then i read the following post where you said " dragons dont need water at all. no baths no misting.

Quote:
I have read this stated on another forum.
So that makes it true?

Quote:
I am thinking you may have a lot to learn in your spelling and reading comprehension skills. I think you read my second post on here without referencing the rest of the thread. It is people like you that keep the knowledgeable people away from these forums. I would suggest slowing down and actually know what you are responding to.
Gary

You sir are obviously the one with reading and writing problems. you never addressed this to be in another forum and thats why you said what you said here, to see if its true or not? WHY did you say, " i have read on another forum, dragons dont need water dishes or baths?" BUT thats not what you said you said:
Quote:
Gary
And with THAT statement IS EXACTLY why you got the answer you did. if thats not what you meant then you shouldn't have said it that way.SO in the end i read what you typed correctly, you just dont wanna admit you dont properly take care of your animals.
I think i am going to setup a Class in New Jersey, on how to take care of reptiles, i swear 60% of people from Jersey have no clue how to take care of reptiles, i will save you and ed clark a seat up front!!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!