Is 50% possible het, truly 50% - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:22 AM   #1
Beyond GenetiX
Is 50% possible het, truly 50%

Is it wrong of me to have an issue with people offering 50% possible hets, when the parent of said het has not been proven?

In the past two weeks I have come across a few threads that have offered 50% possible hets. Upon further questions and investigation the 66% possible het parent had not been proven out for the trait. In the end the supposed 50% het offspring really is a far less percentage, once you factor in the parents "possibility" of het.

I don't know, maybe it's just me...

Old 10-08-2014, 09:54 AM   #2
Pasodama
50% poss. het should only be used when one parent is 100% het.
66% poss. het should only be used when both parents are 100% het.
So, you are not wrong in your belief.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:03 AM   #3
Beyond GenetiX
When I was breeding geckos, if the parents were not proven hets, the babies were not (imo) worthy of being called het. Regardless of percentages. It is far to easy to place the title "poss. het" on something so it will sell.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:54 PM   #4
Pasodama
If I produce a gecko/snake/etc., thus knowing what produced said critter, I don't have a problem stating the het percentage of that critter. Same for selling something, that is het, and came from a trusted, and ethical, friend/breeder.

What is wrong is when someone states that an offspring is 50%, or 66%, het when neither parent is 100% het (and, of course, not of that morph) and have never produced something of that het (morph).

Old 10-10-2014, 01:33 PM   #5
EmeraldBoid
Hets and possible hets, in my eyes, should always be reported with documentation. For example one of my breeder pastel bels is 66% het ghost, in order to back this up, I have screen shots of his original ID card listing his parents as both 100% hets, tracking back the parent ID'S with that breeder will bring you to the visual grandparent. I do this with every het possible and I have decided that any probability under 66% is too little for the animal to have any significantly increased value; however, it is always worth mentioning. That said, I do personally prefer to either produce visuals and 100% hets vs. breeding het X het or poss. Het in order to keep my projects advancing at a more steady pace.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:14 PM   #6
neilg
possible het parent's or parents' non-visual offspring are possibly possible het and would drop the probability considerably although there is a possiblity nonetheless since u'd be multiplying one possible outcome (F1 of possible parent(s)) by another possible outcome (progeny).

Old 11-02-2014, 02:12 PM   #7
Pasodama
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilg View Post
possible het parent's or parents' non-visual offspring are possibly possible het and would drop the probability considerably although there is a possiblity nonetheless since u'd be multiplying one possible outcome (F1 of possible parent(s)) by another possible outcome (progeny).
If you breed a 50/66% possible het, to a 50/66% possible het, and no visuals are produced, you should not sell the progeny as 50/66% het because neither of the parents have proven themselves as being 100% het.
There is no way to know the het probability of the offspring (since you have not proven either of the parents). Thus, the offspring cannot not be sold as definite 50/66% possible het.

Sure, you can mention that the parents are possible hets and, as such, any of the offspring could have a potential, of being het, but that you cannot guarantee any possibility in any way. Thus, they are being sold as non-hets.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!