Kentucky state law issues - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > USA State Specific Issues

Notices

USA State Specific Issues Issues that are specific to a particular state, or subregion within a state, should be appended to the existing relevant thread. NEW threads cannot be created in this forum.

Old 02-16-2005, 08:52 AM   #21
mycurlylocks
Yes Don,
You are supposed to get a transportation permit from KY Fish and Wildlife. That is if you want to be completely legal.
http://fw.ky.gov.
Now the next question is :"Who's going to catch ya?"
Venomous is not legally allowed to enter KY period; except with a special permit for education or zoo purposes.
The guys at Fish and Wildlife will be happy to send you the form. I don't know about a duplicate vet inspection, you should have to have one before the airlines accept the animals anyway.
There are several reptile shows a year in Shelbyville, I wonder if anyone gets permits before they move their animals there?
Candy King

Old 02-16-2005, 11:15 AM   #22
mycurlylocks
Fish and Wildlife sent me this link to read. Didn't really seem to address my question about harmless reptiles. Actually looks pretty gray to me. Then again don't most laws?

http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/KAR/301/002/081.htm

Candy King

Old 02-16-2005, 05:57 PM   #23
wcreptiles
Thanks for the info Candy,

Like you said "who's going to catch you". I also doubt if I would ever see a KY Wildlife Officer at the Delta Cargo Office but if I do I would more than likely look like Mr. Guiltyman. I always like doing things by the book.

I've never seen a vet inspection certificate with any of my shipments and I doubt if many breeder have their animals vet checked prior to shipment. I would hate to pay for a vet check prior to shipping because I always have my vet check an animal over before I give the final OK on any shipment.

Thanks again.

Old 02-16-2005, 08:46 PM   #24
mycurlylocks
You're a better person than me Don. I wouldn't bother with the permit at all. Of course then you have the next problem, the shipper is supposed to get a permit to even ship them to you.
IF KY Fish and Wildlife were to show up (HA, HA, HA) then exit to go to the restroom or something (Since you can't look like the innocent angel!)
The best laugh I have had so far with Delta Dash is that my prairie dogs came in listed as guinea pigs. It was so hard not to laugh.
I can't see anywhere in the Statute where it relates to domestic reptiles. Seems like it is for wildlife only. I sure wish states would write out their regulations more clearly! I wrote the Gov.'s office and stated that I couldn't believe that I needed a permit to move captive bred reptiles. Can't wait to see the response (if I ever get one)!
Wish I was back in KY. I sure do miss home!
Good luck,
Candy

Old 05-13-2005, 12:25 AM   #25
vermithrax
Im trying to understand the laws for KY and reptiles but I read through and get all confused. I just moved here from NY and have a bearded dragon which im sure I dont have to worry about. Though I had thought about getting a snake in the future...probably a corn snake. Maybe I will just stick with a bearded dragon for now lol.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:12 PM   #26
QUETZALCOTL
No, you don't have to have a permit. Follow this link. http://www.api4animals.org/b4a2_exot...state.php?s=ky

Here's what it roughly says.
301 KY. ADMIN. REGS. 2:082 - Transportation and holding of exotic wildlife. (4) A person may temporarily transport or display a prohibited animal listed in this section through the state for less than ninety-six (96) hours if at all times the animal is maintained within a confinement sufficient to prevent the animal from escaping.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:13 PM   #27
QUETZALCOTL
Quote:
Originally Posted by markwebb
Anyone have an opinion on the "import permit" required in Kentucky? I have been told by certain parties that if you bring a reptile into Kentucky from another state you need a permit. If you travel through KY with a reptile from outside KY you need the permit (such as traveling from Alabama to Indiana via I-65).

Others have been very adament that reptiles are excluded from the import permit statute because they are not native wildlife or for other reasons.

Can anyone shed real good light on the situation in KY. If the strict intrepretation were correct, if ya live in The Bluegrass and go to an out-of-state show and buy a snake, you need the permit to re-enter the state with the snake (well, the snake needs the permit). You'd also need the permit if you were a big Florida dealer (just an example) traveling to a show in Illinois via I-65N would need the permit to enter KY and traverse the state of Kentucky.

BTW - these import permits requires a vet certificate for the animals - so it's not just a simple permit.
No, you don't have to have a permit. Follow this link. http://www.api4animals.org/b4a2_exot...state.php?s=ky

Here's what it roughly says.
301 KY. ADMIN. REGS. 2:082 - Transportation and holding of exotic wildlife. (4) A person may temporarily transport or display a prohibited animal listed in this section through the state for less than ninety-six (96) hours if at all times the animal is maintained within a confinement sufficient to prevent the animal from escaping.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:30 AM   #28
CarthaginianGeneral
I know this is an older post, but it needs to be addressed for any one who reads it. There are no bans on any constricting snakes, boas, pythons, or anacondas. None on king snakes etc. Also Im from Kentucky and am a boa constrictor and a venomous owner. You do not need a permit in Kentucky to own venomous. NOT AT ALL. The only catch is no exotic venomous, so no elapids, vipers, etc. However you can own any Kentucky native venomous species, such as, Northern Copperheads-agkistrodon contortrix mokasen, Western cottonmouths-agkistrodon pisicvorus leucostoma, Timber Rattlesnake-Crotalus Horridus, and pygmy rattlesnakes. Also to note Kentucky does not recognize sub species, so frankly any copperhead, cottonmouth, or timber/canebrake rattlesnake can be kept, and you can keep up to 5 specimens of each species. The only thing in Kentucky you would need a permit for is to sale venomous. As far as keeping goes your good to go.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:05 AM   #29
IMAJACOBIAN
I have read all the laws I have been able to locate regarding venomous in Ky. I agree with you on the native hots being ok. (that's why I have an Oh place as well.).

The one gray area that I have been concerned about is what if you breed without a permit. They can drop more than 5 babies easily. It's ok to have 5 specimans, however is it per individual, per facility, per household, etc. For example, Can I have 5 timbers, then my wife have 5 as well? It doesn't specify as far as I have been able to locate. What is your view of that?

As far as selling, I haven't seen the law stating you must have a permit to sell, but could be wrong. Could you specify the source of that law please? I go through great lengths to follow the law, but would always like as much info as possible.

I have looked into the native permits a little and they seem obtainable, unlike any exotic hots. It's basically a propagation permit and they allow more than 5 then.

Then several counties ban hots and large constricters as well so we always have to keep that in mind as well.

Have a happy, and legal, herping.

Thanks,

Jacob

Old 02-07-2019, 07:40 PM   #30
turtle1173
Wow this is really an old thread. I am curious about KY law for turtles and tortoises. As usual, much of the language gets confusing. So the Eastern box turtle is native and you are allowed to take up to 5 from the wild. What about if you bought one from out of state? Is that legal? If you bought an eastern from out of state, would that count as part of your 5? Is it legal to purchase other species of box turtles that are not native? Any stipulations on captive breeding?

I’m just wanting to hear from some who know the rules and the practical application of such.

Thank you

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!