Breeding question cal kings. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
TimberKansas
Breeding question cal kings.

if I bred a desert banded to a stripe from different locale what would potential babies be?

Or If I bred the banded to an abberant what babies?

trying to plan a science/fair project for the kids

I have a desert banded now but want to get a male to bred with that will create some phenotypic variance that would be cool....if another co dom would be more interesting let me know.

thanks

Old 08-31-2012, 11:51 PM   #2
D. Mong
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberKansas View Post
if I bred a desert banded to a stripe from different locale what would potential babies be?

Or If I bred the banded to an abberant what babies?

trying to plan a science/fair project for the kids

I have a desert banded now but want to get a male to bred with that will create some phenotypic variance that would be cool....if another co dom would be more interesting let me know.

thanks
Cal. kings can often produce all sorts of different phenotypes (visual looks) within any given clutch. Thing is, nobody can tell you what will be produced, because so many kings bloodlines can be so insanely variable depending on what their genetic background is. It's this way in the wild too, Even certain banded x banded breedings or stripe x stripe can have greatly variable offspring. Without having the same stock from the same breeder, you just won't know, and often times even those can throw surprises. Also when you factor in there can be many possible unknown recessive genes in their genetic makeup (depending on where you get them from) the possibilities can be almost endless as to what you can get.

Check out this incredible Cal. king site my buddy Ross Padilla has, and you will start to get an idea of what I'm referring to. There are well over 70 different wild forms of Cal. king alone, much less with all the countless recessive genes and multi-morph possibilities that are produced now days.

http://southerncaliforniakingsnakes.weebly.com/

cheers, ~Doug

Old 09-02-2012, 05:33 AM   #3
kingpinreptiles
I agree with Doug. Breeding a banded to a striped you could get bandeds, stripeds, and everything inbetween.
Here's a pic of a recent clutch from banded to reverse striped parents.
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
KcTrader
I agree with Doug and Mike too. Mike, that white stripe is just really cool. Stands out from all the others too.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:02 AM   #5
RossCA
I agree with Doug, Mike, and James too. lol The results would be a little more predictable if they were from a San Diego locality, but there's no telling with captive Cal kings. I'd suggest if you do breed a desert phase with something else, try to find a black and white striped king or aberrant instead of a yellow and brown. A lot or some of the babies might look mostly white, but end up a cream/yellowish color as adults, which is less desirable. Most people either want really clean white or bright yellow.

Thanks for the props, Doug!

Old 09-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #6
TimberKansas
My female is a high band count black and white locality MONO COUNTY King from shane.

I was thinking about breeding her to a black and white striped male.

being a locality desert banded king bred to the above would that clarify offspring any further?

thanks

Old 09-12-2012, 11:38 AM   #7
RossCA
What do you mean by clarify?

Old 09-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #8
TimberKansas
So I would assume that the mono county has strong banded genetics since it is pure desert banded with no stripers in that area.

So I want to find a black and white striper with strong stripe genetics so If I bred them they would throw mixtures that would be either banded with striping or abberrant....

I am trying to find a male striper to buy....I see the ad for the local aguanga kings that are striped black and white but they come from an area with mostly banded so I would be worried the banded genetics would be too strong.

The bottom picture in this ad is the type of black and white stripe I am looking for.
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...hlight=striped

My mono county has strong black and white bands.

thanks is that more confusing?

also I like those reverse stripe kings are they naturally occurring or engineered? It seems those bred with a banded may give even crazier offspring?

Old 09-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
RossCA
Look on the KS classifieds. There's always black and white striped kings for sell there.

Yes, the Reverse striped kings are engineered. I couldn't tell you exactly what you would get by breeding one to a banded, but you would most likely get a mix of bandeds, aberrant, and maybe more reverse striped.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!