Bad Guy Jim Flaherty of the Chameleon Company - Page 8 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:13 AM   #71
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by jishillencik View Post
They are however non native to Florida and do not belong there at all.
As I read through this thread I could see both sides, but some of the statements made me think of how some onlookers might think about the situation.

It seems as if the statement above is a very short hop to statements by some groups that critters do not belong anywhere except where they are native, i.e. critters should not be captive in places where they are not native. (And some groups maintain that critters should not be captive at all).
There are countries and states that prohibit the import of certain critters to protect their ecology, because it takes very few escapes for a particular kind of critter to set up housekeeping. And if you hang out on reptile boards, posts about lost critters and feeders are perennial.
If one musters support for the path of 'they do not belong there at all' it is easy to see how that might prime people to vote against allowing possession, period.

Be careful what you wish for.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:45 AM   #72
jishillencik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
As I read through this thread I could see both sides, but some of the statements made me think of how some onlookers might think about the situation.

It seems as if the statement above is a very short hop to statements by some groups that critters do not belong anywhere except where they are native, i.e. critters should not be captive in places where they are not native. (And some groups maintain that critters should not be captive at all).
There are countries and states that prohibit the import of certain critters to protect their ecology, because it takes very few escapes for a particular kind of critter to set up housekeeping. And if you hang out on reptile boards, posts about lost critters and feeders are perennial.
If one musters support for the path of 'they do not belong there at all' it is easy to see how that might prime people to vote against allowing possession, period.

Be careful what you wish for.
This is the exact reason for posting this BOI. I do not want a ban on keeping reptiles. We should set standards for ourselves to uphold because if we don't, the government will for us.

It IS illegal to release ANY non native species. I doubt investigating officers will care whether or not their release was intentional. So what happens this time?? Jim gets a fine maybe. What happens when Florida residents complain about them being in their backyards????

And for the purpose of my argument I will ammend my original statements to say they have the POTENTIAL to do harm to the ecosystem.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:26 AM   #73
Lucille
Quote:
If one musters support
Quote:
This is the exact reason for posting this BOI.
I think you misunderstand my point. Creating a big splash in a VERY widely read venue such as the BOI may be a factor fueling negative actions, actions that may be more far reaching than you anticipated. This is not a restricted site, not only those in the hobby read. You could pretty much bet that Fish and Wildlife folks have this site bookmarked.

You have already said that there is mere potential for harm to the ecosystem, but this thread itself may have potential for harm to the hobby. A debate on one of the forums might have been a better choice.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:13 AM   #74
jishillencik
Quote:
I think you misunderstand my point. Creating a big splash in a VERY widely read venue such as the BOI may be a factor fueling negative actions, actions that may be more far reaching than you anticipated. This is not a restricted site, not only those in the hobby read. You could pretty much bet that Fish and Wildlife folks have this site bookmarked.

You have already said that there is mere potential for harm to the ecosystem, but this thread itself may have potential for harm to the hobby. A debate on one of the forums might have been a better choice.
The authorities have already been contacted regarding this issue when the original thead was posted nto by my self but by sever al othe members of the community. Jim's actions threaten the hobby, not mine. If you think my actions do as well, that is your opinion.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:20 AM   #75
jishillencik
Quote:
The authorities have already been contacted regarding this issue when the original thead was posted nto by my self but by sever al othe members of the community. Jim's actions threaten the hobby, not mine. If you think my actions do as well, that is your opinion.
Should have proofread my comment. It should read "not by myself but by several other members of the community."

Old 05-22-2015, 01:55 PM   #76
Mister Internet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herpguy11 View Post
Wow, that is quite a ridiculous thing to say. You think we should just let nature duke it out while we turn the world into Pangea again? I think the cacti in Florida that are about to be wiped out by introduced moths would beg to differ, as would Luna moths and other large moths of Saturniidae are being wiped out by an invasive fly in the NE.
No, I said you were blustering in completely unsubstantiated extremes. I understand you FEEL passionately about this topic, and that you FEEL you have the moral high ground here, but that does not make all your wild conjectures and suppositions CORRECT... they are, and remain, your opinions until hard evidence shows otherwise.

Quote:
However, there is no evidence at all that they did not displace/cause the extinction of other species.
Asking for evidence that something DID NOT happen is called "proving a negative", and it's extremely hard to do. It's generally considered a rather simple-minded error in debate. I could just as easily tell you there's NO EVIDENCE AT ALL that there isn't a stack of bricks on the dark side of the Moon, but that doesn't mean it's there. In the same way, you are claiming truthful fact because there's no evidence AGAINST something, and this is simply impossible. You are asking for something to be proved which cannot be proved by definition.

Quote:
Every introduced nonnative species displaces another.
Again, baseless blustering in unsubstantiated fact. Until you can PROVE that EVERY introduced nonnative species has, in fact, displaced or annihilated a native species, this statement is invalid and therefore useless in your argument.

Quote:
Please provide evidence to ANY example on the contrary (and no, Scutigera coleoptera is nowhere close to an example, as it is highly likely they displaced other species that existed before we kept accurate records).
YOU are the one making the claim, it is YOUR responsibility to substantiate YOUR claim, not mine to substantiate its inverse. You are simply banking on my reticence to go slog through the documentation I'd have to slog through to provide your example, and therefore you'll convince yourself you've "won" by default when you've done nothing of the sort... I've just got better things to do. I'm not the one speaking in unsubstantiated absolutely, so I've literally got nothing to prove.

Quote:
Every introduced nonnative species is wholly bad for the environment and for biodiversity.
I feel like a broken record... unsubstantiated claim, blustering, proving a negative, et. al. This claim is simply unsupportable, and if it's anyone's responsibility to support it, it's yours... not mine or anyone else's in this thread. Again, YOU make the claim, you back it up! You probably mean "potentially bad" or "more likely than not bad", and those are far more defensible positions than "wholly" bad, which is impossible for you to substantiate.

There's no reason to get bent out of shape, I was just calling attention to the extreme and indefensible nature of your statements. I'm not saying it's the most awesome thing ever that there's a handful of nonnative chameleons running around Florida. Deep breath...

Old 05-22-2015, 01:58 PM   #77
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by predators View Post
Jim was not bragging that he did it nor did he mean to cause such an uproar. I believe he is intrigued that Panthers in Central Fla with temps that get below freezing could grow up, breed, and thrive. He is probably shocked and fascinated. In retrospect he should not have said anything or posted about it but, he did not mean any mal intent or intentional harm to the ecosystem

Regardless of the debate or positions posted within this thread the comment above is the understanding I took from the conversations posted with Jim's statements.

The OP stated as much in his bullet points.

Quote:
In his first point, Jim states that he did not expect any panther chameleon to survive to winter temperatures in Florida. To this point, his assumption may have been founded on sound reasoning.

In point number 2, Jim is completely amazed to see full grown males (to have escaped his facility), roaming his property and attempting to breed with females on the premises. At this point, Jim should have examined his cage design and retrofitted his enclosures to prevent escapees.
Jim was very forthcoming about clutches missed and potential escapes and evidence that they could survive freezes within the area. Giving details of what he has observed after the fact. Not a statement of knowing that the end result would be establishing a wild colony of any type to collect and sale. Which was a suggestion for lack of regard for situation from the OP. I don't think evidence exists to state that as such and is reckless.

If anything, what's most notable about what has transpired is that sharing such data on social media opens the door to people not interested in the information or learning about the experience, making corrections but a chance to state "I got you!" and to condemn.

To outline this thread, "Bad Guy Jim Flaherty of the Chameleon Company" is so because he told the community that some animals escaped and survived on his property in a area that they should not.

There is not a large scale breeder or dealer (snakes) that I personally know that hasn't had escapes. Many hobbyist share daily across the internet their incidences. The most salient point breeders and everyone really should take away from this is, DO NOT SHARE with social media or the community this type of information without expecting backlash from someone on a mission.

It could be a "concerned" person, or competition that can't wait to dig their nails into you.

Just my opinion on whats here in evaluating this thread comparatively to other BOI bad guy threads.

In this bad guy thread the target did not steal from someone. Didn't have a complaint about selling, buying, shipping, customer service or send sick animals. Didn't kill, willfully harm, abuse or abandon his animals.

What he did do is mention that he had some escapes and that he came to the conclusion that they survived where they should not have over a period of time.

In another time he could of wrote a paper about it and the study would have some merit with acceptance for what has transpired. Not a lynch mob trying to put you out of business.

Quote:
This is the exact reason for posting this BOI. I do not want a ban on keeping reptiles. We should set standards for ourselves to uphold because if we don't, the government will for us.
Quote:
I think the point here is our industry is really in a bad way right now. The Govt. is banning reptiles left and right. Countries are closing and not allowing exports of there animals. States and cities are banning one species after another, new laws and regulations are being passed everyday and the vast majority of the public think of Reptile owners as irresponsible. I would guess 25% of the staple reptiles that could be bought and sold freely in this country 10 years ago are now banned.
Quote:
Irresponsible pet owners, breeders, and importers are the reason for the restrictions the reptile industry has placed upon them today. Jim's negligence shows a direct link between non native species in Florida and the pet trade. You may not think it is a big deal, but that won't stop legislators and groups like PETA from using this as ammunition to place more restrictions on the industry.
It is not the reason. If reptile keepers had a very different public perception, rules will continue to grow and be forced. Regulations are going to continue to grow and progress. The agenda of those opposed to possession and sell aren't looking to make everyone a responsible keeper. They want the entire elimination of this hobby and many others. At best we stifle their goals but it will never end. Concessions will be made to keep what we can until eventually at some point we are going to be over-regulated like every other facet of our lives.

We just keep clamoring to keep some of the species we work with while they whittle around the edges while some people in our own community can't wait to turn someone in for the slightest infraction possible. Justifying it with somehow it is going to protect the community? Or you nuts?

Over the years my opinion on this topic has drastically changed. All the times that someone posted about keeping ball pythons in NYC (which is against the law) that somehow they are threatening our rights to keep reptiles and they must be turned in because we must police ourselves to be able to keep what some of us have and deny others we save us. It's not. The rest of the world is going to codemn those that live in NYC and enforce their laws and attack and harm the person who keeps a ball python in New York City is somehow going to save us from their fate? Its nonsense.

Are we now going to turn in everyone that reports they have had a escape? A faulty rack? A tube that was left ajared? We are happy to report people that can no longer sell or transport the larger constrictors people could a few years ago. So what happens when they ban BP's or all snakes nationwide? The gecko, turtle and other groups are going to be more than willing to report you as long as they get to keep their lizards or animals? They don't want their rights taken away. I think so the way we are divided and conquered. Sure makes a lot of sense to me.

At this point if someone is selling endangered or local species that they should not be selling and are protected, I care. The community should care and say something about it. On the other-hand, The person selling a BP in NYC really isn't my business. Turning on that person and reporting them does nothing to help this hobby. Warning them of consequences to themselves and pointing out how stupid they are for broadcasting it is relevant. Noway is it doing a favor to this hobby to inform authorities or attack them.

So for now on when any frantic hobbyist comes on here and states, "Help, I have lost my snake?" You'll better be consistent. Drill them about their set up and report them for releasing.

When the next large-scale beloved breeder posts a youtube video or makes a statement on a forum (has been done many times) about a snake they found that escaped a year or two ago that could have survived in the local ecosystem or not you better do your duty and be consistent. Tubs that don't close correctly or shimmed-up better be reported after all they should have known that the escape was possible.

To everyone else. This is a lesson you must take head of. Even if you don't do something willfully, (Willfully in this case would to be to purposely release a species and have it survive for more than what, a season?) and report on the awe factor of what was discovered you better be prepared for what your fellow hobbyists/competitors or people who just plain don't like you will do to sink you.

To be clear, I have never done business with Jim. He has participated a lot on this forum in the past. Some topics we have agreed on and we have had heated disagreements on others.

He has had many years in as a breeder and a member of this community and as he stated, I can't recall him ever having a customer complaint about business. While I think he has been wrong on topics discussed, I can't recall anything negative about his business. For a large breeder/seller there is something to be stated about the lack of complaints about service and animals. If any one can assume they must have been handled well if and/or when they occurred.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:36 PM   #78
Agoralyx
For everyone who was asking about the academic opinion on the subject, I'm posting some links to relevant research (there's more out there, but frankly, I was getting a little bored reading research papers all day long).

And for those who will see this wall of text and think: "tl;dr" I provide a summary:

2003: Populations of C. calyptratus are identified as successfully breeding in Florida (perhaps even more successfully than in their native range). Concern is voiced that C. calyptratus may pose a risk to native fauna such as birds, small mammals and invertebrates. Monitoring is recommended.

2007: Hawai'i suffers from invasive populations of both C. calyptratus and T. jacksonii. Aggressive measures to iradicate C. calyptratus commence, however, T. jacksonii is considered lower risk, considering it's smaller size and reliance of humid environments, as well as T. jacksonii's strict insect-based eating habits.

2009: T. jacksonii is identified as feeding on highly threatened native invertebrates. T. jacksonii appears to be adapting to higher altitude environment.

2011: F. oustelati is listed as "Priority Animal Species" by Everglades Invasive Species Summit.

T. jacksonii diet is studied extensively, and in addition to highly endangered native invertebrates, T. jacksonii also is observed regularly eating prey with "noxious defenses", including bites, stings and poison.

2013: University of Florida initiates surveying of C. calyptratus populations through Florida.

F. oustelati research continues as populations boom. Diet is observed to be highly varied, and including prey items as large as Anolis and Cuban tree frogs.

Concern is raised over C. calyptratus's occurrence near the Everglades National Park. Reference to HI's research warns that C. calyptratus is likely even more damaging to vertebrate populations than F. oustelati.

First paper is published describing F. pardalis populations in Broward County, FL.

2014: Numbers of F. oustelati and C. calyptratus continue to grow, and new populations are identified. Collection of multiple chameleon species by local hobbyists is noted, making accurate population research difficult.

Rapid Response Strategy for F. oustelati and C. calyptratus is recommended to be eradication.

FFWCC notes that illegal release and commercialization of wild-caught chameleons is a serious issue, and that "seeding", that is, intentionally releasing individuals into the wild to establish a breeding population, is very likely the cause of the increasing populations.

T. jacksonii continues to cause problems in Hawai'i, described as "established, healthy, well fed, and clearly reproductive" and may lead to the extinction of endangered snail species.

2015: Surveys in Florida indicate populations of F. oustelati and C. calyptratus continue to thrive, and emphasis is placed on the necessity of studying these species impact on native wildlife.

SO: Chameleons are doing great, they're breeding like chameleons (and possibly even more successfully than in their homeland). They are expanding from what is their "traditional" native habitat (which is consistent with Flaherty's claims that the F. pardalis on his land appear to be adapting to a colder climate), and are being observed eating large vertebrate prey as well as highly endangered invertebrate prey, AND prey with extreme, chemical defenses.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:39 PM   #79
Agoralyx

http://www.researchgate.net/profile/...c9b1d6c49e.pdf

“We do not know the size and frequency of clutches for wild female Chamaeleo calyptratus in Florida, but because of abundant rainfall and food, we suspect that females may be more fecund here than in their native range. If clutch sizes are large and hatching rates high in Florida, this population might be difficult to eradicate. Tall grass in the vacant lot is occasionally mowed, undoubtedly killing some young C. calyptratus. Many adults and subadults are probably not found during searches because they are too high in trees or in dense vegetation. Additionally, small neonates are easily overlooked and could reproduce only four months later. Even if all neonates could be removed at any one time, multiple clutching by single females and long incubation times mean that different clutches of eggs could hatch sporadically and repopulate the area.

One neonate was found across the street behind a shopping center, indicating that a paved two-lane street did not present a barrier to either a gravid female or at least one neonate. Therefore, it seems likely that Chamaeleo calyptratus has already dispersed to adjacent neighborhoods north and west of the vacant lot. Major highways may preclude natural dispersal of C. calyptratus south and east of the vacant lot. Farther north, extensive wooded habitat is present along the Caloosahatchee River, but this estuarine habitat may be unsuitable for the species.”

“Chamaeleo calyptratus feeds primarily on insects, but its large size enables it to occasionally prey on small mammals and fledgling birds, making it a greater ecological threat to the native fauna than solely insectivorous exotic lizard species. Chamaeleo calyptratus is primarily a sit-and-wait predator that uses its in- dependently moving eyes to spot prey, which is captured by rapidly protruding its sticky tongue with great accuracy to a distance of up to two times its SVL (Ott et al.,1998; Schmidt, 2001).

Additional populations of Chamaeleo calyptratus may become established in
Florida in the future, particularly if reptile breeder s or dealers release specimens in attempts to establish populations of this popular pet trade species for future exploitation. We recommend that monitoring of this population and its expansion continue, and if ecological impacts on native species are observed, efforts should be made to completely eradicate the population.”

http://manoa.hawaii.edu/hpicesu/speci/misc2007.pdf

“State officials consider the veiled chameleon to pose a greater risk to native plants and animals than the Jackson's chameleon. The veiled chameleon is larger (up to two feet long), is known to tolerate a wider range of environmental conditions than the Jackson's, and is an omnivorous feeder. Suitable habitat for the Jackson's chameleon on Maui appears to be moisture limited with desiccation occurring during times of drought. In contrast, the veiled chameleon's native range includes dry plateaus and it can consume vegetation to replace moisture. The Jackson's chameleon is not known to eat vegetation. The veiled chameleon has been known to consume small birds, comparable in size to the native amakihi (Hemignathus virens) or apapane (Himatione sanguinea). The veiled chameleon is a prolific breeder, maturing in as little as four months, and laying an average of 30-40 eggs per clutch (range 12-85), several times per year. The veiled chameleon's cryptic colorationand habits make it hard for the public to detect or distinguish it from the Jackson's chameleon.”

http://www.researchgate.net/profile/...ication_detail

“Much remains to be determined in terms of making an accurate assessment of the threat posed by Jackson’s chameleons in Hawaii, and further work is planned. For example, little is known about their precise range, elevation preference, reproductive season and rate, desiccation tolerance, and prey preference. Jackson’s chameleons occur in lower to mid-elevation non-native forests on Oahu, and have rarely been reported from tree snail habitat, which tends to be upper elevation dominated by native flora beginning around 600 m above sea level. The observations presented provide conclusive evidence that when chameleons are present in native forest where tree snails and other endemic invertebrates occur, they pose a threat. It is possible that due to a number of factors, such as prey availability and distribution, changing climatic conditions, recent population establishment due to pet release or escape, Jackson’s chameleons are undergoing a range expansion into upper elevations. This is a concern for a variety of threatened and endangered invertebrate species, including tree snails (Achatinella spp.), pomace flies (Drosophila spp.), rare damselflies (Megalagrion spp.), and rare amastrid and succineid land snails, all restricted to upper elevation forests such as Mt. Kaala Natural Area Reserve adjacent to the sampling locality. Prior to this discovery, as part of an ongoing collaborative study, one author (BSH) has collected several hundred chameleons, and gut contents are being examined from populations in the Round Top/Tantalus area of the Koolau Mountains, Honolulu, on eastern Oahu. Endangered Oahu tree snail species have not been observed in this region in several decades. It is conceivable that predation by Jackson’s chameleons may have played a role in the local extinction of Achatinella spp. in this area.

2011 - Monthly surveys of Oustalet’s chameleon populations started by ECISMA

Oustalet’s chameleon identified as “Priority Animal Species” by Everglades Invasive Species Summit

http://hbs.bishopmuseum.org/publicat...leo-report.pdf

“A larger percentage of prey in the diets of Volcano chameleons consisted of native species than was found in dry forest on Maui (46.9% vs. 35.2%). The unexpected result that chameleons taken from native vegetation had fewer native prey species in their digestive tracts sugge sts either that chameleons move frequently among perches, such that their final resting places for the night do not necessary reflect where they have spent most of their day foraging, or that the native arthropods ingested are not particularly restricted to native vegetation.

One point of interest that we did raise in our earlier study is that these lizards clearly tolerate a diversity of prey with noxious defenses. In both studies, insects armed with painful stings (Apis mellifera, Vespula pensylvanica) or bites (Pheidole megacephala) were eaten in sufficient numbers that their consumption cannot readily be ascribed to accidental ingestion. Similarly, a large number of prey items belonged to species having noxious chemical defenses: Nezara viridula and Danaus plexippus in the Maui study, Cylindroiulus latestriatus in the present study. Similarly, active motion would appear unnecessary to elicit feeding in these chameleons, as suggested by their consumption of landsnails, which are largely inactive during daytime, and their consumption of bird eggs in captivity. Lastly, the Maui study found that these lizards consumed species comprising virtually the entire range body sizes found in native arthropods in Hawaii. Thus, it would appear that few, if any, invertebrates found in Hawaii will prove invulnerable to predation by these lizards. The conservation implications of this conclusion, coupled with the chameleons’ high population densities and wide projected range in Hawaii, should be obvious.”

http://www.zoomiami.org/sites/defaul...ion_Report.pdf

“The effects this chameleon from Madagascar could have in South Florida are unknown. But, Zoo Miami is aiding researchers in studying its impacts and attempting to determine if a coordinated multi-agency effort can be successful in removing an introduced species that has become locally established.”

2013 - Surveys of Veiled chameleon populations started by UF

http://www.evergladescisma.org/2013newsletter.pdf

“A breeding population of Oustalet’s chameleons (Furcifer oustaleti), native to Madagascar, was discovered in late 2010 in an avocado grove near Florida City, FL. In July 2011, members of ECISMA partnered to conduct an assessment of the population to determine the likelihood of eradication and to understand possible effects on the native ecology of south Florida. Since then, 31 surveys have been conducted resulting in the discovery of 516 chameleons and the removal of at least 486. Data were collected on morphology, habitat use, fecundity, and diet.”

“Fecal samples have been processed for 50 individuals. The most common taxa represented in these samples is the weevil family, Curculionidae. Caterpillars of several families of moths and butterflies were also commonly found in the samples. The vertebrate diet of Oustalet’s chameleons in this grove consists of small lizards and amphibians, with approximately 16% of adult samples containing either Anolis spp. or Cuban tree frog fragments.

Because of the fecundity of this species, it appears that Oustalet’s chameleons are extremely difficult to eradicate even from a small area. Further, we are hearing rumors that people have been illegally spreading chameleons to start new populations. Although Oustalet’s chameleons may not pose a significant ecological threat in Florida, a population of veiled chameleons (Chamaeleo calyptratus) has also recently been discovered in Miami-Dade County. This population is closer to natural areas, including Everglades National Park, and research on feral populations in Hawaii indicates that veiled chameleons may be more threatening than Oustalet’s chameleons to vertebrate populations”

http://www.ircf.org/journal/wp-conte...etal_print.pdf

“A single F. pardalis was introduced in DeSoto County, Florida, USA (Krysko et al. 2011),but it appeared to be an isolated individual. Herein, we report six F. pardalis from a small area in Broward County, Florida, that may represent a group of released or escaped animals or an incipient, reproducing population.”

“In this case, a cooperative interagency approach resulted in the early detection of Furcifer pardalis in Florida and ensured a rapid response to an introduced but hopefully not established population. Short of prevention, early detection and rapid response is the most effective way to deal with non-native species. We recommend continued surveys of Helene Klein Nature Preserve and surrounding areas with the goal of eradicating the population as we determine if reproduction and dispersal are occurring.”

http://141.232.10.32/pm/ssr_2014/Doc...endix_2014.pdf

“Breeding populations of at least two chameleon species are known in Miami-
Dade County immediately adjacent to the GE region (Gillette et al. 2010). Oustalet’s chameleons are the second largest chameleon species in the world and are native to Madagascar. The native range of veiled chameleons extends across an area of the Middle East and they also grow relatively large. Both species primarily eat insects but large adults are capable of eating small vertebrates. ECISMA cooperators began conducting monthly surveys for Oustalet’s chameleons in 2011 and wildlife biologists from the University of Florida began conducting surveys for veiled chameleons in 2013, discovering the first Miami-Dade County breeding population. Chameleon breeding populations do not seem to be able to expand rapidly on their own but instead are rumored to be spread by humans. There is potential for known populations to be eradicated but by all indications it will take considerable effort.”

“A new population of veiled chameleons (Chamaeleo calyptratus) was detected in Miami-Dade County near the entrance to ENP. Another population for which only one individual had previously been documented was confirmed nearby in a rural neighborhood and the two populations do not seem to be connected to each other.

At least one more population near the L-31E is almost certainly extant; however, this has not been confirmed. Rumors of panther chameleon (Chameleo pardalis) and caiman lizard (Dracaena guianensis) have been investigated but thus far have not been confirmed.”

“A total of 89 Oustalet’s chameleons (Furcifer oustaleti) were removed out of 91 observed from December through April during systematic surveys in Florida City. December was the most successful month with 29 animals found. One adult male veiled chameleon was removed during one survey. Since that time, this population has been discovered, the location where these animals occur has been under heavy collection pressure from amateur reptile enthusiasts, thus making it difficult to find animals. Ten additional veiled chameleons were observed on opportunistic surveys but could not be removed due to their presence on various pieces of private property.”

Rapid Response Strategy for Oustalet’s & Veiled chameleon populations: Eradication

http://seafwa.org/conferences/2014/d...SEAFWA2014.pdf

“In recent years, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission has been managing several populations of nonnative chameleons in the state. Multiple individuals of three species have been discovered in Florida and breeding populations of two different species are known to exist in three counties. These introductions are suspected to have been done intentionally in order to start a breeding population, a practice commonly known as “seeding.” People have seeded chameleons on public and private property with the goals of harvesting these animals for the commercial pet trade. Preliminary research on the diets of wild chameleons in Florida indicates that chameleons may not have significant environmental impact on natural systems. However, the issue of continuing illegal release and commercialization of wild-caught chameleons in Florida is a social concern.

Examined here are three case studies of different chameleon species in Florida: the veiled chameleon (Chamaeleo calyptratus), Oustalet’s chameleon (Furcifer oustaleti), and panther chameleon (Furcifer pardalis). These examples illustrate the importance of early detection and rapid response to halt establishment of new populations, the efforts that must go into eradication attempts, and the complications of managing species on private property. Lessons learned from chameleons have implications on management of other introduced species and it should not be discounted that the “ranching” of chameleons or other nonnative species may already occur in other states in the Southeast.”

http://www.int-res.com/articles/esr2014/24/n024p115.pdf

Despite a recent effort to model future range expansion for Jackson’s chameleons (Rödder et al. 2011), detailed geographic distribution and population densities of this species have yet to be documented. The population at Puu Hapapa is evidently established, healthy, well fed, and clearly reproductive (authors’ pers. obs.); it may therefore represent a useful model for other island locations that share basic habitat characteristics. The observed incidence of endangered A. mustelina tree snail predation in field-collected lizards might at first appear relatively low, since only 4 of the 45 (8.9%) field collected chameleons had A. mustelina shells in their guts. However, these chameleons were uniformly well fed and their stomach contents revealed diverse and abundant prey items (authors’ unpubl. data), suggesting conditions leading to a relatively short passage time of shells through the gut of individuals from this area.

“the actual impact of Jackson’s chameleons on endangered tree snails may be far more substantial than this low number would suggest, due not only to the relatively short passage time these lizards exhibit when well fed, but also to the relatively short time required to completely dissolve an A. mustelina shell (~8 d). We estimated the density of Jackson’s chameleons in this area (Puu Hapapa) by extrapolating from the 45 chameleons collected per 2000 m2 without replacement, giving a value of 1 chameleon per 44 m2. We might assume that at any given time, about 9% of these chameleons prey on snails, or an instructive way to view the data is that every 3 to 4 d, 45 chameleons can potentially consume 8 snails. Extrapolating these figures to a period of 1 yr, for every 2000 m2 , chameleons at this density could consume 730 to 974 tree snails.

However, it should be noted that this estimate may be conservative, because the density of chameleons could be substantially higher in the future, or in other localities. For example, Kraus et al. (2012) reported a density of 173 chameleons per 2000 m2 on the island of Maui. At this population density, we estimate a loss rate of 2806 to 3744 snails yr, per 0.2 ha. The estimated feeding frequency of 72 h may also be conservative, since our gut content analyses revealed that Jackson’s chameleons have the potential to feed on A. mustelina at an even higher frequency, snail density permitting. For instance, chame leon no. 71 had 5 shells in its stomach in various states of degradation, corresponding to Categories 1, 2, and 3. According to our laboratory experiments, shells in the stomach went from Category 1 to 3 in ~48 h, suggesting that this individual likely ingested A. mustelina on 3 consecutive days.

“this predator could pose a serious threat to native fauna globally, and particularly to threatened or endangered taxa in tropical and subtropical ecosystems. Impact assessment data therefore have relevance for resource management in all regions where chameleons either have become established or have the potential to be released in the future.”

http://www.sfwmd.gov/portal/page/por...ers/v1_ch7.pdf

“A reproducing population of the Oustalet’s chameleon was discovered in rural Miami-Dade County in early 2010. This large chameleon is native to Madagascar where it utilizes a wide variety of habitats, including human-altered environments (D'Cruze et al.,2007). An interagency team, led by the FWC, began a rapid assessment monitoring project in July 2011. Between July 2011 and July 2014, biologists removed over 573 Oustalet’s chameleons from a 122-acre site (Jenny Ketterlin Eckles, FWC and Mike Rochford, UF, personal communications). Preliminary diet analysis indicates that this chameleon population consumes a variety of insect and anole species. The interagency team is continuing periodic surveys in the known population area in order to better understand the extent of the population and natural history of this species in Florida. Through these efforts biologists hope to determine the potential ecological impact of Oustalet’s chameleon and whether the population is expanding without human assistance. This information will help scientists prioritize this species as a candidate for eradication.

The veiled chameleon (Chamaeleo calyptratus) naturally occurs in the mountain and coastal regions of Yemen, the United Arab Emirates, and Saudi Arabia. Males reach a length of 2 feet; females get about half that size. Like the previous species, Oustalet’s chameleon[sic] is notable for the wide range of habitats it uses in its native countries. A breeding population of the veiled chameleon was documented in a low density residential area of Lee County (northwest estuaries) in 2002 and more than 100 of these lizards were captured (FWC, 2013).

Scattered individual sightings have been made in the same general area.
Recently, a significant population was discovered 100 miles across the Everglades in an agricultural area in southern Miami-Dade County near the area invaded by Oustalet’s chameleons. A second (sub-) population was located on the boundary between the agricultural area and the Everglades wetlands, less than 4 miles from the ENP boundary. More than 50 specimens of veiled chameleon have now been removed from Miami-Dade populations. Biologists studying Oustalet’s chameleon are also investigating the veiled chameleon with the same concerns and objectives. Florida populations of both species are suspected to have been established through intentional releases by reptile enthusiasts. If chameleons demonstrate the ability to spread from suburban and agricultural land and build up populations in native Florida habitats, then the argument for an aggressive eradication program will be strong.

Rapid Response Strategy for Oustalet’s & Veiled chameleon populations: Eradication

Old 05-22-2015, 03:52 PM   #80
Guy Castro
I bet they'll do just as good a job eradicating chameleons, as they did Asian carp. Looks like some one in government will be pocketing more funding again.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!