hairless guinea pig vs. rat - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
tortoiseman453
Arrow hairless guinea pig vs. rat

I've seen hairless rats at petsmart, and hairless guinea pigs on the internet. Someone in my house is allergic. Has anyone ever kept one of these species. Thoughts and opinions are welcome.

Thank You,
tortoiseman453

Old 07-01-2010, 10:33 PM   #2
brd7666
I used to breed both of those. I'm not sure what you are asking, but if someone is allergic to one with hair, I would think they would be allergic to one without hair as well.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:40 AM   #3
tortoiseman453
Sorry, I meant if someone ever kept one and thought they were good pets. Or if someone thought one made a better pet in ease of keeping or tempermant. Also brd7666 They're just allergic to pets that shed

Old 07-02-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
brd7666
They both make good pets. Guinea Pigs do smell more then rats. I would go with a Guinea Pig. It's your personal preference really.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:04 PM   #5
leaveittoweaver
My vote is with the rats. Much friendlier in my opinion than guinea pigs.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:45 AM   #6
AK907
Well me personally I would go with the hairless rat, I have 4 of them right now. They are very good pets, very social, and are a lot smarter. A skinny pig (hairless guinea pig) is not as social, I have not owned one but my husband worked with guinea pigs at work. They would just squeal and run away. My rats/other rats will come up just to say hi, beg for treats, always wont to play and get attencion. They are very intelligent, they can learn tricks and can learn there name. A guinea pig is a good pet too, just to me they can't stand up to a rat. If I was you I would go with the rat. Once you get one, you will wont more.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:56 PM   #7
shinezilla
What are the rats called that have only patches of fur?
They kinda look like they got into it with some hair clippers...

Old 07-15-2010, 11:46 AM   #8
Hillybean
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinezilla View Post
What are the rats called that have only patches of fur?
They kinda look like they got into it with some hair clippers...
Most likely you mean a double rex. The photo attached is of my Double rex when he was little. There is more than one rex/ double rex gene, and it can be expressed in different ways. I don't believe any look identical.

Reply to main post:

I have owned both rats and g-pigs. I remember my g-pigs always smelling, and they were cleaned daily...Odor is very similar to that of a rabbit and you have squeaking, purring, and a variety of noises. I have never had a skinny pig, just the furred.

Just because they are hairless, doesn't mean they are a true hairless. It also doesn't mean your family won't have a reaction to them. I have had hairless rats that get fuzz on face that comes and goes....It depends on the genetics. Hairless rats are prone to health problems, but getting from a good breeder will possibly make them healthier.

I think both are on the exotic side, so contact you vet.

The hairless rats require a lot of care, they eat more, and they well...their hairless..so warmth is important. You should also be willing to get two or three, as they are very social (also helps to keep them warm). Their skin can be sensitive, oils may need to be added in their bath rinse, etc.

Over all I'd go for the hairless. I currently have five hairless, and many furred, love them to bits.
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2010, 02:46 PM   #9
tortoiseman453
I'm suprised this thread is still going strong!

Old 07-15-2010, 04:10 PM   #10
shinezilla
YESSS!!! That's what they were... I had a cute little dumbo rex a few years back and I remembered reading something on double rex.

Are those things hypo allergenic?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!