Enclosures by Design - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 09-03-2003, 03:11 AM   #1
DThomas
Enclosures by Design

I guess they really like Rich Z...Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery..lol

http://www.enclosuresbydesign.com/forum/

(Hint: Look at the member list)

Old 09-03-2003, 04:17 AM   #2
Clay Davenport
Quote:
Our users have posted a total of 0 articles
We have 2 registered users
The newest registered user is webslave
Kinda pathetic really. They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but I tend to think imitation is a product of an uncreative mind.
I'm sure you've heard of Cages by Design, an already established cage manufacturer. Looks like their cheap imitations doesn't end with using the Webslave's nick.

As a side note, I wonder if their cages come complete with the cool dowel rod to prop the door closed, and the ultra chic recycled Airborne Express hide boxes?

http://www.enclosuresbydesign.com/images/dblsmall3.jpg

Their "pre drilled" vents are sharp too, nothing like just drilling a bunch of holes in the back of the cage.

Old 09-03-2003, 05:02 AM   #3
WebSlave
Well, just for the record, it is not ME whom registered there.

I wonder which version of the BOI that thread is on where I decided to pick 'WebSlave' up as a handle? It was one of those joke things that just stuck, I guess.

Interesting..... I just did a Google search for 'WebSlave' and it was mostly getting hits on foreign sites. Maybe it means something I really don't want to know about in other languages...

Old 09-03-2003, 06:36 AM   #4
John Apple
Talking

Maybe it REALLY means that you are a spider lover
see I knew that there was more than just corns in your life

Old 09-03-2003, 10:43 AM   #5
Wilomn
You Know, having pounded quite a few nails, pushed a lot of darn screws and cut more than a few boards, I have yet to see FORMICA that looked like what those cages are made of. Must be something brand spanking new.

Then again, I bet alison mixes up cubic zirconia and actual diamonds all the time too. Or, maybe this one is just sal.

By the way guys, if you sandwiche the boards you are drilling holes in for ventilation, and very classy those holes look too, I know I would sure enjoy showing those off to my friends, between two other boards you will not have the tacky tearing effect that you have now. Most pros are hip to this, heck, even I knew it and I am FAR from a pro.

Oops, forgot who this site belonged to for a second there. In fact now that I think on it, the quality of these cages matches perfectly the quality of their animals. How fitting.

Dopey me.

Wes Pollock

Old 09-03-2003, 11:32 AM   #6
JungleHabitats
this begs for a mastercard commercial

Micro Max Halogen Lamps $29.95
Silver Handles for Sliding Plexiglas Doors $ .49
Matching White Tracking $.25 lf
Pre-Drilled Air Vents $ useless

Buying a real cage after this ones assembled ** PRICELESS**

sorry i couldnt resist

Old 09-03-2003, 11:48 AM   #7
DThomas
Quote:
Originally posted by Clay Davenport
Kinda pathetic really. They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but I tend to think imitation is a product of an uncreative mind.
I'm sure you've heard of Cages by Design, an already established cage manufacturer. Looks like their cheap imitations doesn't end with using the Webslave's nick.
Exactly. A complete and total lack of imagination.

Old 09-03-2003, 01:03 PM   #8
Darin Chappell
Uh . . .Sal . . .Alison,

That white formica-laminated pressboard, it's called "MELAMINE." It has horribly sharp edges when you just run a drill bit through it with no precautions. By the way, they also sell nice, white screwhead caps so your product actually looks almost as professional as you claim it to be . . .just a hint.

All in all, I thought THIS was the funniest part of their site:

"and your satisfaction is GUARANTEED or your money back"

What a tremendous JOKE!!!!

Old 09-03-2003, 03:40 PM   #9
Wilomn
Just to go a little futher into the formica/pressbaord melamine thing..... melamine(sp) is plastic coated pressboard, I think, on the plastic coating part anyway, I know for sure it is pressboard, which is basically finely ground sawdust glued together under high pressure and heat. The formica that is used in counter tops and some cabinetry is FAR more expensive and time consuming to use. It also takes a lot of skill to use formica properly. Any dunce, even such as myself can use melamine with no problem. Hence the cubic zirconia to diamond analogy I made earlier.

Wes Pollock

Old 09-03-2003, 05:34 PM   #10
JungleHabitats
Correct !!

as a cabinet maker the two are like night & day .....
Melemine is a dense heavy material used mostly because of its "cheap price" and is manufactured to be straight and come in many assorted colors and finishes ex: stone , slate,woodgrains etc etc. It also can release harmful toxins to reptiles due to the composites its made withas a key ingriedient in the glue is a type of formaldihyde (sp) for those of you that are not fimiliar with the unsightly outcome of meleimine & water if any of you have "older countertops that have miter joints in them adjoining them together they may have "swells" in them there or around sinks where water is in contact with them. the coating appliedto the board itself is a vacum applied product adhered with heat and glues.
now on the Other hand the very same material is used as a underlayment but doesnt have the plastic / vinyl coatings on it with Formica,wilsonart just two trade names of the same product. these are made with very high pressure glued laminates the two are greatly different in there properties and usage . when using the "laminates they are applied with a hi tack glue product that is applied by either spraying or rolling the glue on and then applying the laminate with a J roller to adhere it to the board .
The difference in the making ofthese two style would be several man hours labor and almost double the cost in materialsas a 4x8 sheet of melemine can run between 20-40 a sheet depending on the supplier and color applied and the Laminates run about the same depending on the style and grade laminate and manufacturer where you could build a 4 x 2 cage outta melemine for around 45-50$ for the wood . The laminate to apply over the wood wood in turn run you another 50$ or so . this would put the overall costs of the product in the $100-125 range . then you would need routers /laminate strippers to strip out the laminate to apply it to the 3/4 edges of the materials ... ok im on a tangent now ill stop but the idea is obvious i would not buy a melemine cage with intentions of it lasting my animals a lifetime more liek a disposable cage if you want it to stay nice the upkeep is massive! JMHO

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!