Bad Guy Sara Garcera or aka Sara Garsara on FaunaClassifieds - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 09-28-2016, 01:24 PM   #1
ronhat2
Angry Sara Garcera or aka Sara Garsara on FaunaClassifieds

My name is Ronnie Hatcher from Ohio and recently, I had the displeasure of working with Sara Garcera of Whittier CA 90603. She goes by the registered name of Misscalif95 searching for Egyptian and Radiated tortoises here on FaunaClassified's. I had some dealings with her prior to where she had purchased some Pancake tortoise and an Egyptian. She stated she had over 40 some tortoises and figured she knew what she was doing. Please, read what a mistake I did and offer any suggestions to retrieve my money. Unfortunately, we used Google Wallet to transfer funds to her and they do not have a way to stop money they only transfer it. Don't use this payment method for your animals.

Recently, I purchased 5 Egyptian tortoises from her at premium prices and they are all sick. She shipped them to me in a very nonprofessional way. At first she told me she got a box and if bubblewrap would be appropriate to ship them in. Attached is my conversation on facebook.

Oh okay

I got a box and some bubble wrap
Do you want me to ship with styrofoam?
I am gonna get little plastic containers tomorrow
Ron's Quality Reptiles
I take it you didn't save any boxes they were shipped in. By law you have to have styrofoam. Do you want me to ship you a box. That would be easier. I can prep rep the box and send it you way.
Can't use bubble wrap , it doesn't breathe.
Sep 16th, 10:00am
Ron's Quality Reptiles
I will be shipping a box and containers out to you today. So don't go looking to buy stuff for shipment. The box will have 4 containers and one individual will have to be bagged beside the containers. It should be there in a couple of days. Plenty time for us, I think. I can also print out a label here and send you pdf to print out on your computer if you have a printer available at the house. Otherwise, I could ship the label if I knew how much everything will weigh. If perhaps you can weigh all the tortoises I can estimate how much the box will weigh loaded.

Here is the part that I am having issues with:

They arrived a bit cold actually but I will give them a warm bath to get them happy. Egyptian's do better without moisture in the container.
Wed 1:00pm
Sara Garee
Sara
I'm sorry any time I received any tortoises shipped to me, they always had a little moisture
Are they okay?
Ron's Quality Reptiles
Just damp and cold. Egyptians like low humidity so not good to have food or dampness with them. Generally you don't feed shipments so that they clean out a bit. No biggy just don't put food with them or dampness.
Wed 6:09pm
Sara Garee
Sara
Okay thanks I will remember for next time!
Wed 8:16pm
Ron's Quality Reptiles
Thu 4:06pm
Ron's Quality Reptiles
I have a question. Did your Egyptians move around very much or was the shipment really hard on them? They ha ven't moved since they have been here. Totally unlike any of my Eygtians.
Sara Garee
Sara
When I first received them, they didn't come out much but eventually they did. None of them are "highly" active but I did begin to see their personalities, they loved to huddle all near each other and when I would feed them, they would eat at separate times.
Ron's Quality Reptiles
So far all my Egyptian's have been highly active except for one that came in fairly cold. It took it a day or two to start motivating around but even then his eyes where bright and open. I haven't seen these guys eyes as yet. Highly stressed and plain ole lethargic. I hope they shake it off. I would hate to have put $5000 on sick animals. If they don't perk up in a couple days to the vet we will go. I will let you know of their progress.
Sara Garee
Sara
They should open up... Maybe the ride was stressful. They hadn't shown any signs of illness over here.
Fri 5:42pm
Ron's Quality Reptiles
At least three of the five tortoises are very sick and soft. I hate to say this but I fear for their their lives. One is totally non responsive and will not open its eyes. Two other ones are bad but not as bad as it is. I want to know what we plan to do if they fail. I did not want to purchase sick animals and you did not say that there was an issue. Please, let me know where we go from here or if you wish them returned and refund my money.
Fri 11:29pm
Sara Garee
Sara
They had no issues when they left with me. The others from the same group are moving around? I showed you the pictures of them and all of them were fine? I am not sure why you are having an issue. I wouldn't sell you or offer you any ill tortoises
Their shells were hard, I'm not sure how they can go soft in two days
Ron's Quality Reptiles
I will take them to the vet to get them to look at them. Unfortunately, I fear for them. As for this we need to talk about either sending the back for a full refund. Although I am Not sure they will make the trip back or refund those that die within the month.
Seen by Sara Garee at Saturday 2:14am
Sat 2:17am
Sara Garee
Sara
If you are worried about them being sick, then maybe you should contact the fedex company if you had them insured and they were stamped with live arrival because they were completely fine when I had shipped them off. My mother and friend were with me when I packaged them and they were fine. I wouldn't have shipped them out if they were showing any signs of illness.
Sat 1:31pm
Ron's Quality Reptiles
They arrived alive but three of them are sick. Unfortunately, FedEx has nothing to do with them arriving in the condition they are in at the moment. I have had better wild caught individuals in better shape. Being an x-zookeeper I can spot an issue fairly quickly. Even with my expertise I am not certain that I can bring these guys through. Your packing was less than admirable. There were two individuals that where placed together. The bag was supposed to be used for the fifth individual. They needed to be separate so when they were not jostled and collide with each other. They were wet and food placed in with them. I even messaged you that one needed to be bagged and 4 others had containers. I am aware now that you don't have the experience to be dealing with working with these guys. I hate that I am the recipient of your lack of experience. I hope you will find a settlement that is honorable for use both. I should not have inherited their issues at premium prices.
Sat 9:12pm
Ron's Quality Reptiles
I take it that you are not offering any restitution and or taking them back because you are aware that they are sick. I wasn't able to get them to my Vet today so hopefully I can Monday. I hope they stay with me that long. So I will say you got me good and you should be ashamed of yourself. I will start working with turtle and tortoise people next week and let them know what has happened. I hate this but you are leaving me no choice in the matter.
Mon 11:50pm
Ron's Quality Reptiles
Egyptian Tortoise letter - ronhat2004@gmail.com - Gmail.htm
Ron's Quality Reptiles
Here is the Vet's take on things. I hope you understand that these animals are sick and not in good condition. You showed me one photograph that you received these 3 months ago and one was 50 grams three months ago. The heaviest that these guys weighed in was 45 grams which is substantial loss. Please, lets talk about these without any further issue.
Hatcher Egyptian Tortoises(1).pdf

She hasn't contacted me since my last Saturday on the 24 of Sept.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Hatcher Egyptian Tortoises(1).pdf (81.5 KB, 249 views)

Old 09-28-2016, 02:46 PM   #2
Pasodama
Saw mention, of FedEx, in the posted messages.
You are correct in that there will be no compensation from them. Not only due to the fact that they have nothing to do with the illness, of the torts, but, also, it is in FedEx policy that they accept no liability of/for live animals. It is also in writing, on a form, when someone applies to become FedEx certified to ship live animals.

It is a shame that you used an unprotected form of payment. That, pretty much, limits you to going the route of a civil suit.

If, indeed, the torts were shipped, with illness, hopefully the seller will come to realize the best course of action, for her, would be to do the right thing by you. Especially if reputation is of concern to her.

Can you, please, post the veterinary report?

Old 09-28-2016, 04:49 PM   #3
Pasodama
BTW Have you notified the seller of this thread?

Old 09-28-2016, 04:51 PM   #4
gargoyleosaurus
Deb, the vet report is attached as a PDF under the screenshots.

Old 09-28-2016, 04:57 PM   #5
Pasodama
Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoyleosaurus View Post
Deb, the vet report is attached as a PDF under the screenshots.
Thanks. My powers, of observation, certainly weren't up to par. LoL

Old 09-28-2016, 05:45 PM   #6
ronhat2
Yes, she has been informed that I posted the Inquiry. So far she has not commented to anything since last Saturday. I also informed her that it will be posted on my facebook pages so that people won't work with her without some assurances.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:34 PM   #7
senusenu
Who in their right mind would ship with food?! That's just common sense not to. Poor tortoises.

Is it possible to contact your bank for a charge back, if the Google wallet funds came from a bank account or card? Maybe something like misrepresented goods?

Old 09-28-2016, 10:47 PM   #8
ronhat2
I will check with my bank but it wasn't a check so I doubt if they can do anything about it. Google Wallet doesn't get involved in anything except transfer of money. I will contact California Attorney General and see what can be done.

Old 09-29-2016, 01:29 PM   #9
nickolasanastasiou
Ronnie, do me a favor and post the email address or addresses the person or person used and the account information from Google Wallet when you can.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:13 PM   #10
ronhat2
Her email address is : saragarcera@gmail.com

Money sent to Sara Garcera
saragarcera@gmail.com

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!