Feeding Questions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-12-2004, 03:56 AM   #1
connorrm
Feeding Questions

Ok I have a question. I have a ball python male who has been eating adult mice for quite some time. Last week he ate a small rate. Fully weaned but not adult probably double the size of the adult mice I have been getting for him. This week got the same sized rat for him but he missed when he struck and the rat bounded away and stepped on him so he got scared. I don't think he will go to rats now again. So my question is how do you offer multiple mice at one meal? He will only eat live right now been that way sense he hatched. I am trying unsuccessfully to switch him over. I see people all the time feeding like six mice at one sitting. So will he really keep attacking live as long as he is hungry. Do I let him swallow one mouse then offer him another? Thanks for the input!

Old 12-12-2004, 09:28 PM   #2
ghengistahn
Hey i had teh same thing happen to one of mine.. I just let it got for a couple weeks then dropped another one in.. It worked great and she ate her right up.. so i dont think youll have to worry at all .. i dont think the snakes brain is that advanced... Just let her forget about it..

Old 12-12-2004, 10:16 PM   #3
NEWReptiles
We have also noticed that a few balls of ours get creeped out after the rat climbs around on them. We just leave that animal alone for a few days and try again.

As far as what to feed, we stick solely with rats. Its far easier once they hit adulthood and rats also seem less nippy than mice.

Old 12-13-2004, 10:08 PM   #4
Sand&SunReptile
Feeding can be something with Ball Pythons.
I love that all of mine feed on frozen thawed, and it took me no effort to switch them. Once they got to fuzzie rats I off a frozen, and they just took off with it.
Anyways, it's all on how you want to play it, and what risks you think are less "risky" to chance.
Mice have smaller teeth, and if they bite will cause less damage, and unless the snake is small is usually not going to result in a fatal injury. It also costs more (atleast here) to buy enough mice to feed an adult Ball.
Rats have larger teeth, and if they bite they will cause a more painful, and damaging bite. They can paralyze the snake, or even result in death. It is probably cheaper to buy one suitable sized rat, than enough mice as well.
Of course, the whole biting thing is based on the fact you are watching the feeding to make sure it eats, and if there is a bite it will not be able to bite the snake a second time. Now, I don't recommend live feeding, but sometimes there is just no way around it.
You should always surpervise feeding, and never leave a live rodent alone with your snake.
That is just my own personal $.02

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!