Woods that should NOT be used for Snake Caging? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:02 PM   #1
Austin-1
Woods that should NOT be used for Snake Caging?

Hello,
I’m in the research stage of making a new cage, and since I know this can be important, I thought I should ask:

The cage walls (made of wood) will not be covered in some areas (actually, probably just the ceiling of the cage will be not be covered, since it won’t need moisture protection, etc.), so the snake will just be under the bare wood. Is there any species of wood I should avoid? I know herpers are advised against using cedar as bedding, so I’ll probably avoid this species, but
is there any other wood to avoid?

I certainly don’t want any wood that will have gasses that irritate a reptile’s sinuses, or something like that. I know that experts say not to use pine shaving either, but do you think will pine boards will be a problem?

Thanks very much I appreciate any feedback, as well as direction on where/how to find this out.
Regards,
Austin

Old 03-27-2008, 07:23 PM   #2
Austin-1
Also, does anyone know why I can't edit my post?

Old 03-27-2008, 09:02 PM   #3
Junkyard
Pine will be just fine. I have a pine cage also and it is great. Just stay away from cedar, the oils are toxic to reptiles.

The reason you cannot edit your posts is because you need to be a contributing (paid) member of Fauna.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:19 PM   #4
Tim Cole
Also

avoid particle or press board. Formaldehyde is used in these. Pine is fine.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:21 PM   #5
Austin-1
Thanks for the feedback

Thanks for the comments.

Yes, I'm trying to avoid formaldehyde- hence the pine boards instead of plywood. Unfortunately tho I'm using melamine as the bottom of the cage (to make it water proof). I suppose life is full of compromises.

Tim Cole & Junkyard- ya'll both say pine is no problem. I've heard conflicting reports on this. Can you elaborate? How are others wrong when they say that pine should be avoided?

Any new comments are also welcome

Thanks again,
Austin

Old 04-06-2008, 03:10 PM   #6
Digby Rigby
Aromatic woods

All aromatic woods should be avoided such as pine, cedar, eucalyptus etc. You can also use plastic sheets in half inch thicknesses for the bottom such as ABS or PVC. You can get them in 4 x 8 foot or 5 x 10 foot sheets. In actuality melamine is a plastic. However it is also used for pressboard covered in it. You can find pure melamine sometimes in smaller pieces sold as cutting boards for the kitchen. Any non aromatic hardwood should also be okay.

Digby Rigby balboa28279@mypacks.net

My feeders are cooler than your pets!

Old 04-06-2008, 03:34 PM   #7
Miss Tuniwha
the only wood I feel safe using is aspen or hemp.

Cedar is by far the worst!

I don't trust pine, some do.. pine does still have the oils that are not good for animals, but they are not very high.

biggest thing..

stay away from cedar.. no matter what kind of critter!

Old 04-06-2008, 04:22 PM   #8
Cat_72
Opinions are going to vary on this no matter where you ask, I think. It's pretty well accepted that cedar is a BIG no, but pine? While I personally would avoid it, I think that if it is well-sealed, it can be acceptable, I know plenty of folks that have used it without problems.....but as long as there are other options, I would lean toward them if you are able.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:16 PM   #9
Helenthereef
Symptoms of wood poisoning?

I had posted this exact question just before I found this post, so I'm really glad to see this discussion.

Friends of mine have just had an unexplained death in a new tank that had internal pine supports. Their small boa that had just eaten 2 geckos and was in the process of eating a third showed odd tail trembling and was later found dead, possibly having had seizures (Water bowl was thrown around).

Is this possibly due to the pine? they have another snake in that tanks, so we'd like to know ASAP.

On a similar vein, are there any particular branches to avoid putting inside a tank as furniture (Pretty obviously not cedar...)

Old 04-23-2009, 04:12 PM   #10
bigdogg
Another cheap way to waterproof a cage is Shower Board. Then can caulk it up. You can build a cage just like walls of a house. Frame it, cover it with shower board, caulk it and boom waterproof cage.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!