help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-11-2008, 09:56 AM   #1
doubsc
Unhappy help

i was wondering when i put my bearded on night mode, do i turn off both basking lamp AND uvb?? and i jus moved my baby bearded to his new home and now he actin' stubburn, eat thr crickets and won't let me get near him, he was only at another hous for a day and a half, with two other baby beardies...i jus had to set up his tank, will this go away and he'll let me hold him again??, or is he jus gone act funny the whole time??

Old 03-11-2008, 10:27 AM   #2
Cat_72
Yes, you can turn off both the UVB and basking lamps at night. As long as it stays reasonably warm in your house, he should be fine. If you are concerned about him staying warm enough overnight, you can use either a ceramic heating element or one of the night time bulbs (they come in blue or red, I prefer the blue personally) to give him some additional warmth at night.

Between the move and everything, he is probably just a bit stressed and will pick up eating and mellow out again in short order. Make sure your temps and all are correct, and just keep doing what you've always done....leave him a salad of greens to munch on if he gets hungry, and try feeding him his crickets a couple of times a day. Give him 15-20 minutes to eat them, and if he doesn't eat them, take them out and try again later.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:48 AM   #3
doubsc
thanx much....and which side should my heating pad go??

Old 03-11-2008, 10:52 AM   #4
Cat_72
Beardies don't need a heating pad. They absorb heat from above, hence the basking lights. Do you know what the temps are directly under the basking light?

Old 03-11-2008, 11:44 AM   #5
doubsc
i have a thermometer but i'm not sure where to put it, i have it stuck to the cool side of my tank

Old 03-11-2008, 01:25 PM   #6
doubsc
need help on thermometer and temp

Old 03-11-2008, 06:25 PM   #7
Cat_72
Sorry I didn't get back to you right away Clent, I've had a stressful day here, lol.

Measuring the temps on the wall of the cool side of the tank isn't going to do you any good, especially with one of those silly stick-on thermometers, which are notoriously inaccurate. All you are doing is measuring the temp of the wall basically, and your Beardie probably isn't going to spend much time hanging out on the wall.

The best way to measure temps is actually with a unit with a probe (you can purchase an Accu-Rite type thermometer at WalMart or such places for a few dollars), and place one on the floor on the cool side, and one directly where your Beardie will be sitting under the basking light. A baby Beardie needs to have a basking spot that has a temp of around 100-110 degrees, with the cool side of the tank being 80-85 degrees or so for them to be able to properly digest their food and thermoregulate.

They also should have a good quality UV light (NOT the coil type), that would be left on during the daytime hours.

Check your temps in each spot, and let us know how things look.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:43 AM   #8
Drache613
Hello

Hello Clent,

As suggested, a stick on thermometer wont do any good other than measure the glass temps or the ambient temps. The best thing to use is a digital probe or a temp gun.
I just wanted to ask what type & brand of UVB you were using? There are some bad ones out there. Are you using a flourescent tube bulb or a compact or coil light? How close is the light to your dragon? Do you have a bright white basking light or is it colored?

Tracie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!