Should I get a beardie If i cant have crickets breed in my appt? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-20-2009, 03:35 AM   #1
Kloster
Should I get a beardie If i cant have crickets breed in my appt?

Main concern is the economic one.
Ive heard beardies can eat up to 100 crix a day or more, at my local pet store thats around ~$12.
Thats $70 + a week on feeding a lizard!!

The reason I cant breed and raise feeder crix in my appt is because its so small and I wont be able to handle the chirping, itll drive me crazy. I do have a basement that im considering to use as a possible place to breed them but people in the building go there every now and then and im not sure how they would feel about crickets being grown (might feel grossed out, etc)

If I get one id would deffinetly be a baby, theres no way I want an adult one i want to raise my own.
I found such a great deal for a baby! I want to pick her up but Im not sure if I can handle her feeding

Maybe Dubia cockroaches but even then id be unsure about having them in the appt...

Old 03-20-2009, 06:32 AM   #2
Lucille
100 adult crickets is way more than you would expect an average beardie to eat in a day. Bearded dragons also eat salad type food.
Mealworms are easy to keep and breed and do not chirp.
Why not read through the forums here on bearded dragons and get a better idea of what to expect and how to care for your proposed new pet?
Prior to actually acquiring any new reptile, check local statutes.
BTW, welcome!

Old 03-20-2009, 07:51 AM   #3
Tiger Lilly
Yeah, you can take a small 5 or 10 gal tank & get 100+ meal worms in it. I think I used regular rolled oats (oatmeal) for substrate & threw in veggies for them. When I cooked & cut up taters, carrots, celery, fruits etc., I'd cut a little extra to throw in the tank.
They reproduced on their own and I never seemed to run out.
Like Lucille said though, read up on the beardies because there are certain things NOT to feed them (iceberg lettuce).

Old 03-20-2009, 11:44 AM   #4
Kloster
I have been reading for a while, the reason I posted this is cause of the 10-15 minute feeding rule where you pop as many insects as the dragon can eat for 10-15 mins.

I think I decided im gonna breed Dubias because theyre quiet, dont smell and I can feed those to my Tarantulas too

Thanks for the replies!

Old 03-20-2009, 06:26 PM   #5
Ed Clark
Funker, you can also feed a dry pelleted food made by rep cal, zoo med and a few others to lessin the live bug load.

Fresh greens every day is part of a good diet also.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:58 AM   #6
Kloster
I got her!
Shes a looker! Pretty orangy/red.

Shes very yound and the breeder I got her from assured me ill be able to feed her properly with around 20 or so crix every couple of days so thats good. I hope she has a happy full life with me.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:33 PM   #7
Ed Clark
Grats on the new Dragon!!

Any questions or problems bring threm here.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!