Purebred mixes - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 02-12-2006, 09:31 PM   #1
Chris Steele
Question Purebred mixes

I've noticed from looking into and reading about so many kinds of dogs lately that there are a lot of recognized mix breed dogs now. Why are poodles such a popular dog to mix??

Anyway, are their ways to know what you will get out of a mix of two purebreds? Is mixing breeds frowned upon? What is generally the intension when two breeds are combined?

Old 02-13-2006, 12:47 AM   #2
coyote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Steele
I've noticed from looking into and reading about so many kinds of dogs lately that there are a lot of recognized mix breed dogs now. Why are poodles such a popular dog to mix??
Not really sure. I think, currently, it is because they do not shed. And. let's face it, they can be darn cute.

Quote:
Anyway, are their ways to know what you will get out of a mix of two purebreds? ?
Nope, not with reliability.

Quote:
Is mixing breeds frowned upon? What is generally the intension when two breeds are combined?
Mixing "breeds" is one of the time honored ways of creating new breeds. The dogs certainly don't frown on it. I think that the "human" issue regards responsibility. It is fun and interesting to see what will be produced and what the pups will look like. But, have loving and appropriate homes been secured BEFOREHAND for each pup? Irresponsible breeding is a major contributor to the homeless pet problem. Do you know how many thousands of thousands of dogs and cats are euthanized in the US alone every year just because there are no homes for them?

Generally, the intention when "intentionally" breeding parents of different breeds together is to improve some aspect of one of the breeds, to try to eliminate some congenital defect or to create a new breed that is better suited to a particular niche. But this takes dedication and a looong time.

Old 02-13-2006, 06:03 AM   #3
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote
Irresponsible breeding is a major contributor to the homeless pet problem. Do you know how many thousands of thousands of dogs and cats are euthanized in the US alone every year just because there are no homes for them?

I think this is absolutely true. I think that by far, most pets should be spayed/neutered to help prevent the heartbreaking problem of having to euthanize homeless dogs and cats.

Those who wish to improve a breed should do so in a calculated way, with resources for vet care, and homes lined up for the puppies prior to the breeding.

Old 02-13-2006, 08:24 AM   #4
Clay Davenport
Dedicated breeders who are trying to improve the breed, or create a new one actually don't bother with finding very many homes for the pups, they cull ruthlessly. Any dog they produce which doesn't at least meet the standards of the breed is destroyed. When trying to improve on a certain trait they cull even more.
Dog breeders who are breeding for the standard aren't like snake breeders, if a pup doesn't meet their requirements it isn't allowed the possibility of entering the gene pool, and many see letting an imperfect dog go to a home is just taking up a spot that one who fits the standard could have taken.

I'm not saying I agree with this practice but that's how those who take the standards or their breeding goals seriously do it, and it is the most effecient way to improve a breed.
I have two minature schnauzers who neither one meet the breed standard due to coat color. They're great dogs but if they were born to other breeders they would have been killed at birth. Money was the reason they weren't, the breeders I purchased from were more interested in the income than improving the breed.
I do see the point in bettering the breed, and reptile breeders could take some lessons in that area to a degree, but I'd hate to have missed out on the years I've had with my dogs.

Old 02-13-2006, 08:51 AM   #5
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Davenport
Dedicated breeders who are trying to improve the breed, or create a new one actually don't bother with finding very many homes for the pups, they cull ruthlessly. Any dog they produce which doesn't at least meet the standards of the breed is destroyed. When trying to improve on a certain trait they cull even more.
Dog breeders who are breeding for the standard aren't like snake breeders, if a pup doesn't meet their requirements it isn't allowed the possibility of entering the gene pool, and many see letting an imperfect dog go to a home is just taking up a spot that one who fits the standard could have taken.

I'm not saying I agree with this practice but that's how those who take the standards or their breeding goals seriously do it, and it is the most effecient way to improve a breed.
I have two minature schnauzers who neither one meet the breed standard due to coat color. They're great dogs but if they were born to other breeders they would have been killed at birth. Money was the reason they weren't, the breeders I purchased from were more interested in the income than improving the breed.
I do see the point in bettering the breed, and reptile breeders could take some lessons in that area to a degree, but I'd hate to have missed out on the years I've had with my dogs.
I have to strongly disagree with what you said, Clay. I know a LOT of GOOD breeders out there..yes, SHOW breeders, even a couple that were there at the beginning of the "Black Russian Terrier" development. The majority of breeders do NOT cull as you say. They work diligently to improve their breed, and the puppies who are not "up to standard" are placed in good homes, either spayed/neutered before placement, or sold on a spay/neuter contract. I won't deny that there are some out there who do it, but there's a whole lot more that don't.

That said....I think this whole idea of every backyard breeder out there crossing breeds and selling them as new and hot breeds is completely wrong. It takes many generations of diligent breeding to be able to accurtaely predict what these dogs will end up being as a whole, and what good traits and possible getetic problems the mixing can create. I'm starting to see a lot of "Labradoodles" showing up in pounds and in the "giveaway" section of the paper......

There are enough mutts (as well as purebreds) dying in shelters every day, there's no need to purposely create more just to shamelessly make some quick cash. Breeding should be left to those who truly care enough about the dogs to not only make sure they are physically healthy (vaccinations, wormings, OFA certs, elbow certs, eye certs, etc) but that the animals they are breeding are genetically sound as well as in temperament. MOST breeders know very well that a even a dog that doesn't meet the exact "breed standard" can still make a wonderful companion, and work hard to make sure that they are placed in loving "forever homes".

Old 02-13-2006, 11:25 AM   #6
PaulSage
I hate the term "backyard breeder" and the negative implication it carries. I wouldn't want a dog that wasn't raised in a back yard without kids, and other dogs/animals. What's the alternative to a backyard anyway? A damp, dark basement or a 4'x6' concrete kennel? When my family raised shelties, they were around lots of people (including children) and played in the backyard a LOT. Bigger breeders referred to my mom as a "backyard breeder" as if it was some horrible thing. IMO, a pup should be raised with a backyard. How else would it be socialized from an ealy age? All of our pups grew up to be great with people and other animals--I wouldn't have it any other way.

Oh yeah, purebreds and mixes. lol Different breeds seem to be mixed for three reasons:
  • People knowledgable of breeds' traits look to create a dog that possesses positive attributes of two different "breeds"
  • Joe Schmoe thinks it would be "cool" to see what the pups would look like
  • Oops. Accidental breeding from careless non-neutering of dogs.
The problem with any one of these reasons is that even if desirable traits are looking to be enhanced, the UNdesirable ones can be enhanced as well. Sure, maybe a dachsund x golden retriever would be a great family dog, but can you imagine the potential for serious joint problems? I'm not in any way saying that mixes are "bad" or should be avoided. It's just that I think with established breeds that you'd have a much better idea of what to expect in terms of "typical" health and behavioral aspects. Again, just my opinion.

Old 02-13-2006, 11:42 AM   #7
Cat_72
I guess the term "backyard breeder" perhaps isn't the most "correct" of terminology, or at least can be very misunderstood, but that is what was somewhere along the lines coined to represent a person who buys some dogs, "tosses them out in the backyard" and lets them breed indiscriminantly. With no real knowledge of the proper physical or mental care, temperament, or basic genetics of the animals they are producing, no thought given to their future as long as they are raking in the $$$$. No love and care......just left out in the backyard, alone.

I apologize if you found the term offensive Paul, it was not meant in that way at all. You know that I feel that the best place for a dog to be is playing in the backyard with his family (or hogging my pillow in bed, lol), but when they are done playing, they aren't LEFT there. The LAST place a dog deserves to be is stuffed in a kennel in the backyard and left on their own. Ya know what I mean?

Old 02-13-2006, 11:52 AM   #8
PaulSage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
I apologize if you found the term offensive Paul, it was not meant in that way at all. You know that I feel that the best place for a dog to be is playing in the backyard with his family (or hogging my pillow in bed, lol), but when they are done playing, they aren't LEFT there. The LAST place a dog deserves to be is stuffed in a kennel in the backyard and left on their own. Ya know what I mean?
No worries, Cathy, I know what you mean. I've heard the term a lot, I just don't like how it makes backyards seem like such a horrible place! lol

Old 02-13-2006, 12:46 PM   #9
Chris Steele
Thanks for all of the info everyone. If anyone has implied that I'll be breeding dogs anytime soon, don't worry about it. I have 4-6 years before I'll have kids and I want them around pups when they are young so they can grow up together like I did with my dog. Until then I'll be taking care of my baby brothers dog and teaching him how to take care of and love animals.

I agree paul, I would much rather buy from a breeder like you've described.

I don't understand why anyone would cull whether they want money or not, wouldn't the best thing to do be spay/neuter..

Old 02-13-2006, 03:06 PM   #10
Clay Davenport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
The majority of breeders do NOT cull as you say. They work diligently to improve their breed, and the puppies who are not "up to standard" are placed in good homes, either spayed/neutered before placement, or sold on a spay/neuter contract. I won't deny that there are some out there who do it, but there's a whole lot more that don't.
Perhaps the practice has decreased in recent years or decades. All the "show dog" breeders I've known, albeit a relatively small number, have practiced culling.
It was one of the things that gave me a dislike/disinterest in breeding for show in the first place. I prefer to have a dog that is a companion rather than a trophy. My dogs are wonderful companions who want nothing more that to be near their family even though they would be disqualified from a show on sight.

As for the term "backyard breeder" I usually use the term "puppy mill" in that context. I like the small time backyard breeder who has a few dogs they love dearly and quietly produce a litter or two per year for a little extra money and because they love the dogs.
Technically many of us would fall under a backyard breeder catagory when it comes to reptiles. We are small time hobbyists, and just as in the dog world, there are a few "big breeders" who look down on us as well.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!