Pregnant ATB- HELP! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-27-2015, 02:23 PM   #1
Kmay571
Pregnant ATB- HELP!

So I acquired a female garden phase ATB in November. She is still small (just around 4 feet), and eating small mice. However, I believe she is starting to show symptoms of being gravid (rolling, aggressive, basking long periods, etc.). I do have an adult yellow male (5.5 feet) who she did spend some time with while I was treating her tank for mites, so I know there is a chance they might have locked up when I was not paying attention.
Could anyone give advice on an accidental breeding? I have heard I should feed her more often to try and bulk her up. I was planning on breeding them when she was older, and I had time to actually do some planning and intense research. I'm freaked out now, not knowing what to expect from such an early breeding.
I know to expect a low clutch, being so small. And I won't be surprised if they are all stillborn. Unfortunately, the research I've done hasn't helped much, and I still have a few questions:
Is there any way to tell how far along she is?
What special care should I give her?
What is the best set up for the neonates (bins, individual tanks, etc)
Is there a chance she could have serious health complications?

Any and all help is appreciated. I know I messed up by presenting the opportunity for her to breed, so I really don't need to hear about how irresponsible I am. It was an accident and I want to make it work for the best, and her health is most important

Old 03-27-2015, 02:44 PM   #2
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmay571 View Post
Is there any way to tell how far along she is?
What special care should I give her?
What is the best set up for the neonates (bins, individual tanks, etc)
Is there a chance she could have serious health complications?
I have a lot of ATBs but haven't bred them yet*, so my advise is from talking to fellow hobbiest that have bred. *well I've tried, but turned out my pairings either didn't take or they were both females.

My suggestion is to continue to feed her normally, I wouldn't specifically try to 'bulk her up' at this point, just keep offering a mouse or small mouse (whatever size she is comfortable eating) once every 7-14 days. My largest adults will take either 1 or 2 adult mice or a rat pup once every 10-14 days.

1 - not really any way to tell how far along she is based on looking at her. Do you suspect she was gravid before your male had access to her? If not, then expect gestation to be around 130-180 days before she gives birth. The gestation period varies quite a bit which is what it's such a large range of time.

2 - Just make sure she has an area where she can always stay warm and get to 80-85 degrees as a hot spot as needed as well as an area where she can cool off (or at night) to 75-80. Care is as normal.

3 - I would suggest shoebox size tubs for babies. Give them something to perch on and/or a hide box if you can and water bowl of course. I like to use green garden fencing for babies to use as a perch. Photo below of my normal set up for young ones, just do something similar in the smaller shoe box tubs.

4 - Yes, however, there is always a chance there could be complications. So best thing you can do is just make sure she is set up correctly and then keep those fingers crossed. I wish you the best of luck!

Old 03-27-2015, 09:27 PM   #3
Kmay571
Thank you for your quick response. I do feel better prepared.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!