Eastern DiamondBack Rattlesnake's - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-19-2014, 10:06 AM   #51
54bogger
Hey Joe, glad to see you made it back safe, man that sure is a beautiful girl you got there!

Old 11-19-2014, 10:29 AM   #52
54bogger
WARNING; HANDLING VENOMOUS SNAKE'S IS DANGEROUS!!

The next step I take with my rattler's is to put them in the portable 12x12 pen that I have in my backyard. When moving them from the cage to the pen I use two snake hook's for picking them up and setting them down. Once their in the pen I stay in their with them, I'll walk around in the pen (wearing snakebite boots) for alittle just outside of their strike range and then I'll sit down on a plastic lawn chair I keep in there. After 10 to 15 min's pass and their moving around I'll get up and walk slowly around them again. This is done at the same distance until their not getting in a strike pose any longer, then I move in closer until they resume a strike pose and start the process all over again. There is nothing "fast" about this process, it take's time and patience and a lot of KINDNESS. Once I can stand by them without them rattling or raising up in a strike pose we move on to the next step.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:20 PM   #53
yasin
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonseed38 View Post
Well. If and when you do get bit. All they need to know is it happened in the woods. And being that I own my house and property, they can't do nothing about it any ways. And here's a pic of the LUCY. This snake is not to be free handled. Because she is the spawn of satan
Amazing snake. I do "need" a pair of these .

Old 11-20-2014, 02:04 PM   #54
54bogger
WARNING; HANDLING VENOMOUS SNAKE'S IS DANGEROUS!!!

Once their used to me standing by them we move to getting them used to being touched. They like following the wall's in the pen so I put my chair in the corner and as they come by I reach down very carefully and touch the last 6 inch's of their tail's. At first they would coil up fast in a defensive position not sure if I was trying to hurt them or not, but slowly they calmed down. This again was a long process, working with rattler's take's a lot of PATIENCE!
They began as I touched them to not coil up or even act defensive, they would just either keep going or stop for a moment and look back at me as if to say "you done now?" After they got used to this I still continued with it for some time, then we moved on to the next step.

BTW- If you notice, all these step's I take with them are baby step's never trying to push them into a step they weren't ready for.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:46 AM   #55
54bogger

Up until this time I've used two snake hook's to pick the snake's up and move them around. Now I begin using one hook for the front of the snake while gently picking them up from the tail (tailing). Before reaching down to pick up the tail I put the loop of the snake hook about 8 inch's behind the snakes head but I'm careful not to touch the snake with it because I don't want them to feel their being restrained. Once I do that I pick up the tail and hold it gently, if the snake becomes really nervous I'll set the tail down and give the snake time to calm down and begin again, this is a process that takes time! there's no short cut's. When I'm able to hold the tail without the snake getting nervous I use the hook to lift the front of the snake, I'll gently pick the snake up off the ground just a little at first until they get used to it. As they get used to it I'll raise them higher but slowly they tend to get nervous if lifted to high to soon. When their used to being lifted in this manner then I'll begin moving them around in the pen holding them this way. This step is repeated over and over for some time before moving to the next step.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:53 AM   #56
54bogger

Once the snake's have gotten used to this method I move on to the next, which is the most dangerous step. I continue as the step just described above but without using the hook to pick up the front of the snake. I pick the tail up while keeping the hook apprx.8 inches back from the head and not touching it, when I see that the snake is calm I lay the hook down. Then coming in directly from behind the snake I'll slide my hand gently up the snake's body to about half of it's length, if the snake remains' calm I'll slowly and very very carefully raise it off the ground. Again not high at first just enough for the snake to get used to being picked up in this manner. This process is also repeated many many times before I'll raise them up high and begin walking around in the pen while holding them.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:21 AM   #57
NocturnalNature
Barry,
Can I respectfully ask why you have the desire to handle the animals in the first place? I'm not trying to be inflammatory, I'd simply like a better insight into why you can't enjoy the natural beauty and majestic nature of the animal without laying hands on it. You mention "kindness" in one of your posts. Do you believe the animal can differentiate between actual kindness or simply not feel threatened by your actions?
As I said, I am in no way trying to be disrespectful, but rather better understand why those who choose to free handle are willing to handle the obvious risks associated with the practice.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:33 AM   #58
54bogger
Thanks' for your question, I'll try and answer but it most likely wont make any sense to you. As a child I was always fascinated by not just snake's but rattlesnake's there was a mystic quality about them. I was brought up to FEAR rattlesnake's because their very deadly, any time one was seen it was automatically killed! I've been a hunter all my life (I'm 49 now) and have spent many hours in the wood's, when I would be hunting by myself and come up on a rattlesnake I liked to just watch it. When I stood there in front of it guess what? it wasn't the MONSTER I'd been told that it was! If I stood there long enough the snake would stop rattling and simply crawl off. As I began to see these snake's in a different light I began to try and inter act with them more and more, what I found out was that they aren't EVIL,MEAN,WICKED and NASTY. So slowly I began working with Eastern Diamondback Rattlers both w/c and c/b and I have found that they do respond to a person's touch. If your kind to them that means your calm around them and they sense that. I have a great love for these snake's. I never expect anyone to understand what I do only that they just be respectful of it as my choice, we all like different things in life this just happens to be mine.
I told you this probably wont make any sense to you but I tried.lol

Old 11-28-2014, 10:55 AM   #59
demonseed38
I got my female EDB out last night. She's as sweet as can be. Then my cane breaks were at the glass checking out the activity. So I got them out also. Just like 54 says. It's a mutual respect and understanding between the person and the animal. Human beings are the most dangerous animal on this planet. Rough handling a snake will get you bitten no matter what species. But gentle handling and safety in mind,can result in an awesome experience with a rattlesnake. Those who don't agree with this practice should not condemn those that do. And also. Everyone should be aware that it's very immoral ,irresponsible, and a great liability to own and possess venomous reptiles in rental homes and apartments. No matter how secure the caging. It's also illegal in most states. That's what gives the hobby a bad name when one escapes or some one gets bitten. Because then the authorities have the right to seize and kill your animals and arrest the renter. 54 bogged and my self both come under fire for handling our snakes on our properties which we own. So before persecuting any of us. Maybe everyone should take a look at their own selves and question. Am I putting anyone in danger???. I know most of the people on here only judge others when they should judge their own actions. And Barry. That is some awesome advice on learning this art. Very good safety tips also.

Old 11-28-2014, 04:28 PM   #60
NocturnalNature
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54bogger View Post
Thanks' for your question, I'll try and answer but it most likely wont make any sense to you. As a child I was always fascinated by not just snake's but rattlesnake's there was a mystic quality about them. I was brought up to FEAR rattlesnake's because their very deadly, any time one was seen it was automatically killed! I've been a hunter all my life (I'm 49 now) and have spent many hours in the wood's, when I would be hunting by myself and come up on a rattlesnake I liked to just watch it. When I stood there in front of it guess what? it wasn't the MONSTER I'd been told that it was! If I stood there long enough the snake would stop rattling and simply crawl off. As I began to see these snake's in a different light I began to try and inter act with them more and more, what I found out was that they aren't EVIL,MEAN,WICKED and NASTY. So slowly I began working with Eastern Diamondback Rattlers both w/c and c/b and I have found that they do respond to a person's touch. If your kind to them that means your calm around them and they sense that. I have a great love for these snake's. I never expect anyone to understand what I do only that they just be respectful of it as my choice, we all like different things in life this just happens to be mine.
I told you this probably wont make any sense to you but I tried.lol
Barry,
Thank you for taking the time to try and explain your reasoning behind your desire to practice this sort of handling technique. As you surmised, I still don't understand why you feel it necessary to do this. I will say this though, you seem like a very passionate fellow and don't appear to be doing it for the reasons others freehandlers I have spoken with do it (cool factor, showing off, trying to impress people, etc.). Despite the obvious dangers of what you are doing, you seem to take great precautions leading up to the actual "laying on of hands", it is quite apparent that you take great care of your animals, and you don't appear to downplay the dangers of participating in this behavior.
I still strongly disagree with sharing this aspect of your passion in a public arena, and believe it is an action that can have a huge potential for public negativity towards our hobby. it is one thing entirely to do what you do in the privacy of your own home, but sharing it with the world and giving instruction on how to do it still leaves me a bit baffled.
I truly wish you and your animals the best and thanks again for answering!
Respectfully

Joseph,
You quite honestly scare me with your thought process. Your animals simply do not have the mental capacity to "respect" you. Tolerate you yes, but you seem to have a history of attributing human traits onto an animal that largely functions on instinct alone. In addition your past posts lend little credibility to your actions. Unlike Barry, you seem to thrive on the negativity and lash out with wildly irrational or contradictory statements when questioned.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!