tame lizards? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 02-17-2004, 09:51 PM   #1
rinoa0587
Exclamation tame lizards?

hello all,
i am trying to decide on which type of lizard to get. my choices are a leopard gecko or a blue tongue skink. i want a tame lizard that enjoys being handled but doesn't exceed my limitations of space. any suggestions on which would be better? thanx much. the advice will be greatly appreciated.
*ash*

Old 02-17-2004, 10:00 PM   #2
meretseger
Well... what are you space limitations?

Erin B.

Old 02-18-2004, 02:36 PM   #3
rinoa0587
space limits

my tank right now is a 29 gallon and i may not be able to upgrade that for a few years. i wouldnt be getting my new lizard for a few years because i currently have a green anole but i know that she will not be alive for more than two years from now because she is wild caught and at least 1.5 years old. i normally wouldnt have taken a wild caught animal but she was a prize at fair before i knew abnything about lizrds.

Old 02-18-2004, 09:41 PM   #4
meretseger
Well, a couple of leopard geckos would fit great in a 29. You actually could probably put a single one in a 10. There are some skinks that would fit in a 29 but it's too small for a blue tongue. I wouldn't be suprised if your anole lives a bit longer than 2 years, but it's really hard to tell with WC animals.

Erin B.

Old 02-18-2004, 09:44 PM   #5
rinoa0587
skinks

what types of skins would fit into a 29 gallon? i am really interested in skinks because my friends cousin has a schneiders skink that just loves people but i know that schnieders are much larger than blue tongues. thank you very much for all of the help.

Old 02-19-2004, 09:16 AM   #6
meretseger
Well... I THINK fire skinks would be ok in that tank. Don't quote me on that, but they're very cute and worth looking into. If you can get a CB crocodile skink, they're also awesome (that's what I keep) but they're only active at 5 am or thereabouts.

Erin B.

Old 02-19-2004, 10:57 AM   #7
Seamus Haley
Quote:
i know that schnieders are much larger than blue tongues
You have this backwards.

Old 02-19-2004, 01:07 PM   #8
meretseger
That's what I thought... but I'm bad with numbers so I thought I might be wrong.

Erin B.

Old 02-19-2004, 02:51 PM   #9
rinoa0587
thanks

i have been doing research on enclsures and found that my dad can make a larger enclosure when the time comes. and thanks for correcting me on the skinks i read somewhere that blues are smaller than schnieders. now that i have less space limitations i am looking into beardies but i will probably still go for a skink because i dont like big crickets or pinkies. thanks again

Old 02-19-2004, 03:42 PM   #10
jenn_jeffery
For your current tank, look into crested geckos as well. They're calm enough to handle easily, and you could possibly put a couple in the tank....and there is a food made by t-rex that eliminates the need for crickets...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!