how to protect heat tape on cb 70 style rack - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-09-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
allreptiles1966
how to protect heat tape on cb 70 style rack

Hi everyone
I just built a rack to hold males and its like a cb70.
I want to use belly heat and i was wondering if i can place a thin piece of tin over the heat tape to protect it from being worn out from sliding the tubs in and out?
Thanks for your time
Rich

Or just put heat tape on the inside??

Old 02-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
Clay Davenport
What I do in those situations is completely cover the surface of the heat tape with aluminum tape. That serves the purpose of protecting the heater as well as securing it to the shelf, and the foil tape conducts heat well.
Here's an example.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
allreptiles1966
Thanks Clay.
That's what i will do then.That seems like a very good idea.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
allreptiles1966
it worked perfect Clay!

Old 02-10-2012, 12:38 AM   #5
stevek123
I was always told that the heat tape needed at least one open side and should not be enclosed both top and bottom.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:23 AM   #6
Clay Davenport
The reason people say that is because of trapped heat overheating the flexwatt. While you shouldn't enclose the heat tape between two materials that both have insulating properties, such as between two pieces of wood, the foil tape transfers heat away from the tape just fine.
That's another of those things that people repeat like a universal truth without actually thinking about why.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:26 AM   #7
allreptiles1966
I will keep a close eye out on this.If it was trapping heat,wouldnt it show on the thermometer due to excess heat? Right now mine is running perfectly and feels ok to the touch.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #8
mxracer4life
Clay is the man to listen too, he probably knows more about cage building and heating than most people on here. I follow a lot of his ideas and haven't had a problem in years.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #9
allreptiles1966
I do believe you Jeremy. I did as he said and its going fine.
Thanks for the input.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #10
Clay Davenport
Quote:
Originally Posted by allreptiles1966 View Post
I will keep a close eye out on this.If it was trapping heat,wouldnt it show on the thermometer due to excess heat? Right now mine is running perfectly and feels ok to the touch.
It's not going to trap the heat. The aluminum is a good heat conductor and will transfer the heat to the tub away from the heater.
The picture I posted is of a rack that's been running for about 5 years non stop. If it was going to overheat it would have.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!