Bad Guy Snakes at Sunset (Miami) - Page 7 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:30 AM   #61
chondrogal
Just want to speak about Proventamite and chondros...... it IS absolutely safe when used as directed. You do not spray the snake directly. You don't even have to bath the snake, just spray the enclosure, let it dry and 3-4 weeks later, mites are dead, problem solved. I hang in a circle of pretty devout chondro folks and don't recall any of them ever sharing a loss due to PAM. Now I've only had a couple hundred of these snakes, but every one has been exposed to PAM here since I use it as a preventative. I visit herp shops and reptile shows regularly so go for prevention rather than a cure.

I would challenge the "fact" that people have lost otherwise healthy chondros when they have used PAM as directed by the manufacturer. I don't doubt that people have lost chondros after using it but would bet that husbandry error or other illness is the cause of the loss, not the exposure to the dried PAM.

The use of a dirty cage to house any incoming animal into a shop blows me away.

I actually kind of like a shed left in a cage or two to invite questions is a cool idea and seems quite reasonable. I would only allow one shed ever per cage and certainly only a couple in the whole shop on animals that were known to be healthy.

As business/shop owners though we should hold ourselves to the highest standard of husbandry, we need to set an example 100% of the time so that potential buyers that don't have as much experience will clearly see a proper set up so that their new critters can not only survive but thrive in their new owners care. Doesn't have to be fancy, just clean, proper temps, substrate, hide spots and adequate space. Set the animals up to thrive for potential buyers and be there for the owners when they do have questions.

No animals that are being treated for illness should be left where general public can see them. PETA can take a single animal that may be in poor shape when surrounded by hundreds of healthy ones and make a huge fuss about it. We know that PETA hires undercover people to dig up any dirt they can, we shouldn't be helping them....EVER!!!

Old 03-20-2010, 11:57 AM   #62
DD Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonluver83 View Post

How did the store look when you went in there?
It was an average pet store, I have seen better I have seen a lot worse. I didn't notice any crammed enclosures or snakes like the one pictured. The store was rather small (its in an odd location, crammed in the corner of an outlet mall), but Mike seemed to utilize the space the best he could, animals made up the bulk of the store, the product line wasn't huge.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:05 PM   #63
chris allen
I've never seen mites that big, they are like super duper gigantor sized mites. If in fact those are mites, I can't believe an animal like that with that type of problem could be left on a sales floor for people to see.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:12 PM   #64
Snakesatsunset
Dragonlu, that is obvious and a known fact. The snake came in a bag, we saw
mites on it, put it in the tree, segregated. What else do you want to knit pick? Your making it a huge deal, for no reason, and dont know the full story but from someone that has something against us and is plain out lying. We noticed mites on it, placed it in the tree. You do know mites HIDE under scales, in nostrils, eyes, cloaca, etc , and with a yellow stick on top of cage, get the fumes and start walking around? I mean its pretty obivous.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:34 PM   #65
shlages
Are you trying to state that the obvious mites on the GTP weren't visible?

Old 03-20-2010, 12:52 PM   #66
shlages
Maybe you should have smuggled in some common sense. How is it that you accept & then display an animal with visible mites on it?What about the welfare of your customers?Do you spray them down when they leave?Excuse me for saying this but does your dad know about this thread?He is the owner correct?How does he feel about this?

Old 03-20-2010, 01:31 PM   #67
HecTorBar305
I've bought several animals (pastel ball, adult biak female, juvenile biak and prairie dog) over the past two years from Snake at sunset and I've never had an issue. I visit the store regularly and always do a walk threw and never seen an issue. All animals seem very well taken cared. Every time I've visited someone is always keeping up with the store. People there are alway very cool and there is always a very friendly atmosphere in the store.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:32 PM   #68
Snakesatsunset
Lol, schalges, or however you spell it, your just trying to avoid what has been said by re-peating questions from others all over again. Its been clarified already, if your too dense to realize that, then sorry! Store is a family business, I call the shots, I run the store. Ask anyone.
Re-read all the posts and maybe you can answer your own questions.
They were visible, and I said they were. Do you not read?

Old 03-20-2010, 01:34 PM   #69
Snakesatsunset
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakesatsunset View Post
Dragonlu, that is obvious and a known fact. The snake came in a bag, we saw
mites on it, put it in the tree, segregated.
did you not read? shcalges

Old 03-20-2010, 01:47 PM   #70
aleria
So far the only thing I've seen stated here is that NO there is not a full and PROPER quarantine area in the store for new acquisitions. What we are to consider quarantine is placing the snake in the "display" area still within a few feet of other animals that can very easily contract any illness or parasite that this snake may have brought in.
The way I see it, it doesn't matter if the animals closest to it are only for display purposes, endangering the display animals by tossing a mite infested, history unknown animal in near them, isn't any better than just putting it right out on the "sales floor".
I understand that most pet shops run a little differently than say breeders, but I would think it would be common, best practice to have a separate behind the scenes area for quarantine and treatment of all new animals.
And from the information I've seen about mites, they can very easily slip through the cracks, end up on a customer's clothing and then have a quick and easy travel route all through the shop and even back home with your customers. That is why quarantine should not be within public view where the general public has easy access to this animal. If it were recently infected with a much more serious illness than mites, but not showing symptoms yet, you could be endangering the collections of every customer that comes into your shop and comes near that animal. I don't think all illnesses necessarily require them to be hands on with the animal to pick something up and have it travel with them.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!