BD's and no UV-B - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-12-2016, 09:50 PM   #1
JButera
BD's and no UV-B

Has anyone raised and bred BD's successfully without UV-B?

Old 02-13-2016, 06:37 PM   #2
Mistyck
I haven't heard of anyone doing that. Question is; why would you want to do that? They need the UVB to process the Vitamin D3. So without that light they wind up with MBD, which can and does kill them.

Old 02-13-2016, 10:50 PM   #3
JButera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistyck View Post
I haven't heard of anyone doing that. Question is; why would you want to do that? They need the UVB to process the Vitamin D3. So without that light they wind up with MBD, which can and does kill them.
Couldn't they get the Vit D3 via dusting? Btw, I don't have any BD's or plan on getting any, just wondering.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:34 AM   #4
LauraB
I've kept BDs as pets for over 10 years. Had 2 clutches years back, but only want them for pets. They have always had UVB lamps plus D3 dust, just like my other herps.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:32 AM   #5
Mistyck
Quote:
Originally Posted by JButera View Post
Couldn't they get the Vit D3 via dusting? Btw, I don't have any BD's or plan on getting any, just wondering.
They need the light to process the D3, just like I said in my previous reply. They get the D3 via calcium dust that you put on their veggies (or bugs.) But in order to process the D3 they need the light. Otherwise it does not process through their bodies and doesn't get absorbed.

The UVB is like the light from the sun, and bearded dragons need the sun to survive. Just like they need an omnivorous diet to survive. Everything has to balance out or something will go out of wack and they will not thrive, and wind up suffering, or dying.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:11 AM   #6
JButera
Quote:
They need the light to process the D3, just like I said in my previous reply. They get the D3 via calcium dust that you put on their veggies (or bugs.) But in order to process the D3 they need the light. Otherwise it does not process through their bodies and doesn't get absorbed.

The UVB is like the light from the sun, and bearded dragons need the sun to survive. Just like they need an omnivorous diet to survive. Everything has to balance out or something will go out of wack and they will not thrive, and wind up suffering, or dying.
Don't they use uv-b to produce Vit D3 and not necessarily to process it? I understand VitD3 manages the calcium levels in blood and wondered if the D3 synthesized dermal-ly or taking orally made any difference or if there's any difference at all.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:13 AM   #9
Lucille
I asked this question many years ago. I can't find my thread, but am including another.
Ultimately, I chose both lights and some supplementation; my reasoning was that because there is respected controversy, I did not want to make the wrong choice. It is not like choosing whether to buy corn chips or potato chips for the football game, there is a critter's life at stake.
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...entation+light

Old 02-14-2016, 11:39 AM   #10
JButera
Quote:
Thanks, but it doesn't answer my question. If a uv-b bulb's only purpose is to allow the animal to manufacture VitD3, how is it different then just giving them D3 in their diet? Either way it winds up in their bloodstream. Just wanted to know if there was any difference in quality or usefulness and if uv-b bulbs were even necessary when D3 is supplemented via diet.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!