Server has been BUSY lately... - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 01-03-2005, 08:39 PM   #11
WebSlave
I made some changes in the way this system handles some background chores. So let's see if that makes a difference in the loading problem.

Let me know if you see more problems, please.

Thanks.

Old 01-03-2005, 09:45 PM   #12
starwarsdad
Are you sure that the flavor of *nix you are running supports hyperthreading? Are you using the same box to do all of your database work? That could be another potential culprit. I run MSSQL2000 and have to restart the SQL server service pretty frequently when my sites are getting hammered (usually when we are in a development phase on a new site).

Just trying to throw out ideas to help Rich

Old 01-04-2005, 12:55 AM   #13
WebSlave
Thanks for the thoughts.

But yes, I am certain my server is utilizing hyperthreading. I can see this in action when I run the "top -i" command and see the processors in action.

As for database processes, the changes I made in the background processing here have to do with the way vbulletin handles view counts. It appeared to me that the loading problem was showing up on the hour, every hour. Well, two admin functions would cause vBulletin to update thread and attachment views, every hour on the hour. So I thought this might be significant. Perhaps this updating was causing the loading problems we are seeing here. Not sure why Jelsoft would implement something like this, especially since this is certainly not the most active site around using their software, but it seems worth a shot to try it out.

Time will tell, I guess.....

Old 01-04-2005, 08:20 PM   #14
Sasheena
FYI

Server Busy 8:17 PM

I was reading the "Sheilalovesanimals" thread

Old 01-04-2005, 08:29 PM   #15
WebSlave
Darn!

I've got another 1 gig of main ram being installed sometime in the early AM on Wednesday. Not sure what to do if that doesn't help. I may have to cut back some server intensive options, I suppose. Maybe limit searches to members or any other number of things I can come up with. I can think of several things right off the top of my head that might help, but they will most certainly piss off some people.....

Heck, maybe it is time to start charging a membership fee here. THAT would certainly cut out all but the people serious about being here.

Old 01-04-2005, 08:33 PM   #16
Sasheena
LOL

It was a momentary glitch, the next time I tried I got where I was going. Just reporting so you'll have time/day/info in case it helps

Old 01-04-2005, 09:23 PM   #17
progeckos
Sorry Rich….

Server too busy 9:17 pm EST – 1/4/05

Old 01-04-2005, 10:20 PM   #18
starwarsdad
A lot of boards are going to members only viewing. I am not in favor of that. How do you know if you want to be a member if you can't see the content?

Do you allow the bots to index the site? If so, non-members can use their search engine of choice allowing you to reserve the search function for members as you mentioned.

I sure as heck don't know the answer. I know of a board with membership over 100K and posts into the millions. The are running on FuseTalk though and that would be more cash outlay plus needing a ColdFusion server license.

I guess my rambling is not really helping though.

Old 01-06-2005, 11:44 PM   #19
robin d.
server too busy 10:24 pm central 1.6.05

Old 01-07-2005, 12:05 AM   #20
tarantulakeeper
twice, then ok

7:02 pm mountain time, then again at 7:26 pm

John

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!