Boiled chicken??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-13-2005, 08:10 PM   #1
Jake The Snake
Boiled chicken???

Can boiled chicken be used as a staple diet for monitors and tegus? I am getting good deals on whole chickens and I want to feed boiled ground chicken as a staple. I can add multi vitamin to it too.

Old 04-26-2005, 09:28 PM   #2
gmherps
Jake boiled chicken is a very hardy meal for a monitor. Every feeding though?
I would split it between can dog food, chicken, boiled eggs, turkey and rats/mice.

Old 04-28-2005, 12:11 AM   #3
SHvar
Depends what you expect from it???

If you want little sucess or little results when it comes to health or growth go ahead feed it corflakes to.
This quote seems interesting
"boiled chicken is a very hardy meal for a monitor. Every feeding though?
I would split it between can dog food, chicken, boiled eggs, turkey and rats/mice."
The only food listed there suitable for monitors is rats and mice, if you wanted variety you can add chicken peeps, quail, crickets, roaches, superworms, etc, why would they need any more than that?
Anyways if you feed insects they need suplimented with a good quality calcium/vit D3 supplement such as Miner-all or herpcal. The whole animal foods such as rodents and birds need no supplementation. These foods give all needed nutrients and are the only proven diet to allow normal reproduction in captivity with monitors, this tells you something about one of the most basic parts of their care, its a cornerstone to build from.
If you are referring to odatria or dwarf species then you can feed them a basis of supplemented insects their whole life.
People food is just that, dogfood is CRAP, catfood is crap, dont feed it to your monitor!!! Turkey diet doesnt clean the system out, and is very very runny as well very foul smelling when it comes out (ask your own doctor about this, its a problem so stop eating what causes it).
Stick with what works, dont make you and your monitor another statistic that gets flushed in a few months to a year.
Good luck.

Old 04-28-2005, 03:16 PM   #4
DragonCharm
Most dog and cat food on the market isn't even suitable to be fed to dogs or cats, its mostly corn. (sidebar: I use Wellness for my cats, no corn and no byproducts) How well do you think a monitor will do eating corn? It gives cats and dogs the s**ts......just imagine what the monitor will incur.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!