Vision Cages.... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 12-21-2006, 01:09 PM   #1
Jeff Godbold
Vision Cages....

I'm leaving this thread open for everyone to just say it how it is.......

What are the pros and cons of Vision Cages taken as a whole?

I'm curious to know whether they would be worth switching an entire collection over to.....

Thanks,

Jeff Godbold

Old 12-21-2006, 01:45 PM   #2
Russ Bates
This is how I see it

I purchased a stack of model 400s (5) and the cost was right 199$ shipped per unit. I placed my order and about 4 weeks later they arrived in great shape. Best part was there was no setup, just pull them out of the box and put the snakes in them. The 400s are very roomy and house my pituophis quite comfortably. I would definately buy from Vision again.

Here are the pros/cons as I see them:

PROs - Spacious, stackable, easy to clean, animals are easily viewed, well ventilated, accepts just about any type of heating device, and comes in wide array of sizes.

CONs - The glass door panels that come with each cage can be a chalenge to remove from the tract. Out of five cages, I have one that fits this description. Still removable but you must be careful in removing or you can break the glass due to the tight fit.

I bet you'l like them if you decide to purchase Vision cages.

Russ Bates

Old 12-21-2006, 01:51 PM   #3
Mike Greathouse
I also have several of the model 400s.

My only complaint with them is that when stacked, they do not lock together.
Because of their light weight, it is very easy to bump and move them. If the manufacturer would allow for a small foot on each corner and a corresponding void on the top in each corner, they would be much more secure in a stack.

Other then that, they are an excellent cage.

I have also used some of the larger Visions, and those I would not recommend.
They tend to sag in the middle if any weight at all is on top. The models with a cross bar in the center also prohibit the use of a showcase lock to secure the doors.

Old 12-21-2006, 01:51 PM   #4
pogona31
In general I really like the Vision cages. They have certain drawbacks that are not serious deficiencies, but issues to be prepared to address. First of all, an inventory of my collection of Vision cages which I have had for more than eight years:

2 Medium tubs (MDTUBR)
1 Large Display (#734)
1 Large Cage (#432)
3 Large Cage (#622)
6 Med Cage (#332)
2 Med Arboreal (#222)
2 Sm Cage (#221)
4 Sm Cage (211)

The face of the cage has a lip around it that make cleaing difficult, but is necessary for stability same with the ribs on the bottom of some models. Arboreal snakes love to hang in the upper lip or snag the lip as you pull them out making handling of venomous or aggressive animals very challenging. The sliding doors on some models are too small to move cage furniture or animals in and out easily. However, the glass can be removed easily, but again a challenge with aggressive species snapping at you.

The plastic takes a lot of abuse and they are easy to move. I use them for regular housing and for using at educational shows so they get bumped around a lot and take the abuse with little or no wear. Pressure washing them cleans them up well. I drilled a 1/4 inch hole in a corner to drain them out afterwords or you can use a shop vac. They stack, but I don't do this due to weight displacement issues and the saging of the larger cages. No matter what brand cage, you should use a shelving unit for support and heat control. Vision is easy to drill or cut and with a little modification, you can use showcase locks to secure the glass from sliding. I also drill and insert pins in the upper rails to prevent larger snakes from sliding the glass up and out of the track. They handled humidty reasonably well, but are not as good as wood for heat retention.

Overall: I really do enjoy my Vision cages. They have been a blessing and they do look nice and are rugged. Only had one need for customer service and the guys were quick and responsive (needed new rollers for the big display cage after losing them in a move). I purchased the cages through a distributor (Chicago Reptile House) and fortunately had a moving truck to move the cages. I recommend them to anyone asking.

Old 12-21-2006, 01:55 PM   #5
Jeff Godbold
Russ.....

Thanks for the reply. Heres what I'm working with:

Chondros
Jungle Carpet Pythons
Amazon Tree Boas
Crested Geckos

I currently have BARRS and absolutely love them!! They work great, look great and are affordable, but I've always liked the Visions and the only reason I havn't purchased from them before is because of the price. Doug BARR is awesome and I'm happy with his service and verything else but I thought the Visions would be a little better for the adult carpets...

Thanks,

Jeff Godbold

Old 12-21-2006, 02:10 PM   #6
Jeff Godbold
Species...

I thought I might add what species I'm working with:

I'm eager to hear if this cage is efficient for these particular species...

Chondros
Jungle Carpet Pythons
Amazon Tree Boas
Crested Geckos

I've thought of branching into the Scrub python realm but that wouldn't be for a couple of years...

Thanks,

Jeff Godbold

Old 12-21-2006, 02:30 PM   #7
Zx7trev
I keep alot of carpets

in Visions, and I don't like them at all. Here are my problems with them.

1. My carpets always hide on the upper lip over the glass, so they are not visible often.

2. Stacking them more than a few high is a problem, because the weight of the cages on top makes the few on the bottom difficult to open. You can forget removing the glass for cleaning when they are stacked.

3. I have discovered that sliding glass doors make cleaning harder. I only comfortable have access to one side of the cage at a time. Then i have to close the clean side, and reoped another side. It's annoying.

4. My carpets ALWAYS crap in the bottom lip, making it hard to see. If it solidifies there...its a royal pain to scrape it out and clean.

5. They are really dark. They have a much smaller front opening, proportionly, to other, front openeing cages. Without lighting, you won't see your snake much unless your right in front of the cage.

They are good cages, dont' get me worng, but for carpets, I HATE them. I have been selling them off for BARRS and BOAPHILE type caging instead. Much easier to clean, and easier to access.

Shawn

Old 12-21-2006, 02:41 PM   #8
Kairo
I own several Vision cages. I love them for the room they give my larger snakes. The sliding glass doors are easy to clean, and plenty of ventilation if needed through thr top or back. If not wanted, i cover the back holes for more humidity.

My only problem. Feces. I am having to bleach my vision cages alot. They are rinsed and air which takes time. The Feces seems to be seeping inside the construction.

Anyone know how to get the old seeped in feces out? I scrape as well, but to no avail. It's as though thr acid is eating through the Melamine.

Thanks.

Old 12-21-2006, 02:42 PM   #9
Kairo
Ok spell check is off. Sorry for the spelling...above.

Old 12-21-2006, 02:44 PM   #10
Jeff Godbold
Shawn,

I don't know if you read my ealier post on BARRS cages but I absolutely love them. In all actuality, I went in to a reptile store who had a really nice and clean display of visions for all of their snakes and it kinda reopened my interest in them. Personally I think they're way over priced but in the cage market......who isn't? Thats why I went with BARRS. Doug is a great guy and gives full support. His cages are also the most affordable on the market. But having that said, I like the look of visions as well....

Jeff Godbold

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!